The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Two questions yet again

Stick with the bulb you got man, and yes you can go to the trouble of covering the sides of your container but I wouldnt waste the time - they'll be fine. :)

Yeah I know but you know what I mean. If ya don't then you missed my point.

My points were that light in enclosed space = build up of heat = greater risk of fire. Using the most efficient form of lighting such as a baton fluro are going to make management of these issues easier. A build up of heat will cook the cakes and thats not good at all. Whats really not good is if you get a fire because of it.

No doubt you already realised this but its good to mention it just in case it slipped your mind :)

• Like 1

Yeah I know but you know what I mean. If ya don't then you missed my point.

My points were that light in enclosed space = build up of heat = greater risk of fire. Using the most efficient form of lighting such as a baton fluro are going to make management of these issues easier. A build up of heat will cook the cakes and thats not good at all. Whats really not good is if you get a fire because of it.

No doubt you already realised this but its good to mention it just in case it slipped your mind :)

Leaving inadescents on in an enclosed space is quite dangerous as stated above. But you don't need the light 24hrs/day. I used to used six 60W incadescent globes attached to a thermostat to keep my incubation temps up. I never worked out exactly how long they were on/off for but it would have been several hour/day at most.

Covering the bottom and sides of a casing limits fruiting there (where shroom growth is impeded by lack of space) allowing those growing at the top to utilise more nutrients and grow bigger.

ed

Alright thanks again for the info guys. Can he just leave his cupboard doors open then to allow the heat from the light to escape? He don't want to risk frying the mushrooms and definately don't want a fire :P

Oh and can SWIM just use something like a clear empty CD case to stand his cakes on so they aren't touching the perlite. Will peroxide be in most grocery stores? Where does he want to look to find it?

Edited by mardybum

A square of alfoil is prolly better than a CD case and make a pile of moist verm on top of the foil for the cake to sit on. As for the peroxide look around the bandaid section. Its usually pretty close to there.

ok hes looking into a cheaper and less heat building bulb/light. are there any actual lightbulbs which will fit onto the average lightbulb connection which will use lese electricity and not be so hot, cause a baton fluros not really an option to swim atm? he was thinking of leaving the lid of overnight or covering it gladwrap so i could use a less brighter light. even a nightlight or something? any suggestions?

Edited by mardybum

talked to swim just now, he said:

one of my cakes is about ready to pump (the tall one). there's about tthe size of a pinkie fingernail left which hasn't collonised at the top but i can see it's just dry verm which has fallen down a little bit. it'll either be tommorrow or the next day that i pump it. to pump it, i just make sure im in a sterile environment, open the foil, remove the dry verm, slam it on a table to get it to slide out, put the cup back over it straight away, put dry verm over the top again, replace foil?

dryxr4.th.jpg

as you can see the tiny bit left is just dry verm, which cant be collonised anyway. ready to pump?

Edited by mardybum

Yeah looks about right.

To pump it just loosen the foil so the cake can slide out. It should of shrunk a fair bit so should pretty much slide out all by itself. If not, put your hand over the loosened foil and shake it loose then slide the cake half way out then back in a couple of times. What your trying to achieve is to flush out the old air and replace with fresh. Tighten the foil back up then sit back in the cupboard or in a place that gets filtered light. The cakes don't need to be placed in the light to pin but it may speed things up.

Pumping works best with cakes that still have a fair bit of moisture in them. 2 days after pumping do it again. Pins should form at about 4 days to a week and if they don't it means that your cake is to dry so birth it, dunk it and introduce to the FC as normal.

See how you go :)

Update from SWIM today. Haven't talked to him for a while, he must of been quite busy lately. He said he will be birthing the cakes tonight. Well soaking them in a jar of sterilized water overnight, then placing them into a poor-man's terranium in the morning. For unkown reasons, his nice big plastic box is unusable, so he has to go with 2L coke bottles. He filled the bottles with around 2-3 inches of soaked perlite, with a few drops of peroxide added. He will be making sure there is always droplets of water on the walls to keep the humidity up. Anything anyone wants to add so I can tell SWIM? He might get a few pictures up in th next few days to make sure everything is set up OK.

Did the pumped ones pin well?

Pics pics pics!

:)

Nope. SWIM said he pumped them every two days and they didn't start pinning, that's why he's soaked them overnight ready to birth this morning.

Strange :scratchhead:. They looked moist enough in the pics. Maybe my SWIM's cakes were just freaks :)

How long do these guys take to fruit? SWIM just informed me he birthed 3 cakes on the 24th and they have all this new growth, very white, very furry, very bumpy, all around the cakes, but no pins? How long should I tell him to wait?

Edited by mardybum

In SWIM's experience the cakes get fluffy growth then a day or 3 later, depending on temp and humidity, you will notice there will be slightly more dense white lil lumps forming. These are the pins :)

Some may have already formed around the base where the cake is resting on the verm. Your almost certain to get pins from here due to the abundant moisture. Have a good look, they can be hard to spot for the first time, tend to blend into the verm a bit until they get big enough to stand out.

Be patient :) the fluffy growth is a good sign.

Yahoo! Check out what SWIM found today!

firstpinwm5.th.jpg

firstpin2jy9.th.jpg

His first mushroom! He is very proud!

Congrates :)

Wow thats a long time to pin, whats the temp at?

Also where is your verm base for the cake? You'll get more and bigger fruits with a verm base.

Anyway congrates, ones first pin is exciting :)

Do you mean I should be letting the cake sit ontop of wet verm? I have no idea what the temp is at, room temp, which is fairly cold cause it's winter.

Yep, common practice is to sit the cake on moist verm. Gives the myc a bit of a moisture resivour and increases pins.

edit

Edited by mardybum

SWIm found two more new pins!

p1020338xf7.th.jpg

anything he can do to get more pins on this cake or does he just have to sit it out. the other cakes have no pins which he can see, anything he can do to them to get a couple of pins on them?

Edited by mardybum

Are you guys waiting for pins to start in the jars before birthing them or are you taking them out of the jars straight from the inccubator?

AFAIK its best to wait for the pins to start first? even better, go bulk ;)

lol i know it was one page 3 but CRC handbook is everywhere in aus to. No chem lab or uni library is without it.

What are you on about Teo?? :)

dryingcr8.th.jpg

is that normal when drying? theyre going very blue/almost black.

they are aborts, a few fat balls and a deform.

and how does one know when it's time to pick EVERYTHING off the cake to start the second/third flush.

BTW - HARRY! i reckon they didn't start pinning in the jars because it was so cold! didnt realize how much difference a temp. increase made. hehe.

Edited by mardybum