The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Two questions yet again

I paid a bunch for a spanking new PC :)

I should have checked trash and treasure...

Quote Sphinx:

Has anyone seen some glass jars?

Stupid question, i meant has anyone seen some square glasses? Actually if crumbling is the go this really doesn't matter does it...

Hypha,

So you say colonize (or colonise) the corn first, then crumble and mix with pasturised horse poo (not sterilised?) and re-jar and let re-colonise, then case with non-nutritious casing..

Why not just go straight to corn / poo mix?

Well you CAN go straight to a corn/poo mix, but this is going to smell a bit funky when you pressure cook and the mix takes a bit longer to colonise... but your right, you can do this no problem at all.

As discussed above, you can also get away with sterilising grain by steaming but your success rate will be low. You might get a few jars to colonise but this isnt efficient, and can be a waste of grain.

So say following PF from www.fungifun.org but using pre-moistened corn instead of brf/verm would be good a good option, then crumble and mix 50/50 with pasturised horse poo (can it just be microwave sterilised?) then allow to colonise the mix and then case with perhaps peat / verm...

If the fungi colonises corn quicker than brf/verm, can larger jars be used? (500 mL? )

Alright! I know i've just asked the same thing three times in a row but see swim is preparing for a party and he has no time to waste! So getting this right from the start would be awesome, cube orissa will be tried here and hopefully all will go great!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope swim lives overseas where the cultivation laws arent so ridiculous :(

I have heard of 1L canning jars being used rather well, perticularly with grains. Just means the bigger the jar, the longer the wait. But the bigger the jar, the more myc :wink:

Think it all sounds good - give him the go ahead Sphinx :)

WOOO bunnings this weekend WOOO !!!!

Who else loves bunnings eh? Sooo good

I'm a fan of bunnings - plenty of gear at good prices, just not happy about the way they put little businesses out of whack :( but I guess the big guy usually wins out in the business world...

Yeah don't bother with glasses, use those 550ml pasta sauce jars. Only 2/3 fill them, so you can shake them up once their 1/3 colonised to speed things up.

Bunnings is handy :) but their are better places :wink:

Better than bunnings .. ??

What are you thinking Harry? I've found a few useful goodies around but bunnings has pretty much everything all in the one place, good prices! they'll beat any by 10% !!! wow.. those guys.. wow

:)

There is better :)

They only beat prices on identical products of identical brand.

For example I can get vermiculi at half the price as bunnings and perlite at over 2 1/2 time cheaper than bunnings. :)

If I buy in bulk I can get it even cheaper again!

Can't beat their 4" black pot price however. Definatley handy if your in a pinch though.

Edited by Harry

So say following PF from www.fungifun.org but using pre-moistened corn instead of brf/verm would be good a good option, then crumble and mix 50/50 with pasturised horse poo (can it just be microwave sterilised?) then allow to colonise the mix and then case with perhaps peat / verm...

If the fungi colonises corn quicker than brf/verm, can larger jars be used? (500 mL? )

Alright! I know i've just asked the same thing three times in a row but see swim is preparing for a party and he has no time to waste! So getting this right from the start would be awesome, cube orissa will be tried here and hopefully all will go great!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost dude, dont use corn when using the pf tek - you need specially designed grain jars, with little filter lids for gas exchange.

Stick with your normal PF tek to get full colonised jars then spawn with these...

Jeez, this thread is getting to be huge!! I wonder how many times each point has been made, then reasessed! :P All in the name of learning :lol:

Stick to Hyphals advice - I mean, after seeing that gigantacube, I wouldnt ask anyone else! :P

Crap...

alright i'll look at this more closely :)

will do pretty much as in Greencavefloat's post:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13523

so once those corn jars are colonised, crumble them up and mix 50/50 with horse poo and allow for full colonisation... (how crumbly should the poo and corn-mycelium be? say the size of four bits of corn?)

once the 50/50 is fully colonised then case with peat and verm..

Good?

I put together a post on this one for you and everyone who needs some help with this Sphinx - check it out and it should cover all you need to know - If not, ask away... :)

I just made my syringes. I made sure everything was super clean, used alot of Glen 20 :) But when mixing the spoers into the shot glass, isnt that very open for contamination? I spose you just gotta hope you did a good job and sterilizing your area, I hope I did!

That step is usually done in a glove box or under a flow hood to minimise contams, I believe, but can be done in a clean area (bathroom/kitchen), provided you are quick and efficent. So I have read :)

I did this once

had:

spore print on foil

new syringe and needle (comes sterilised)

did:

sterilise some water and a glass (fill a glass with distilled water, put about 20mL in the other) glad wrap both with two small holes, microwave for five minutes, once done i used the needle to scratch the print and get all the spores into the glass that had 20 mL (that 20mL was for steam sterilisation by the way) . pour about 240mL sterilised water (the other glass) in with the spore and mix with a needle - fill four 60 cc syringes

don't:

TOUCH ANYTHING! BREATH ON ANYTHING!

every bit of cleanliness helps i'm sure

perhaps i was lucky not to introduce any contams, but as long as everything is sterile and kept that way all should be good, just do it quickly and effectively

:)

edit: this was an edible of course

edit again: Ace, Harry, what the hell do you guys do during the day?

Edited by Sphinx

What I do when I make a spore syringe for my edibles is I cut a piece of the foil with some print on it away then quickly drop that in a small zip lock baggie. I then suck up some sterilised water in a syringe, crack the seal on the baggie just enough on one side to get the tip in and squirt in some water. Reseal the baggie and rub the foil through the baggie to disperse the spores into solution. I then crack the seal again on one side and suck out the spore dense water and shake it to mix.

Follow all sterility procedures between steps.

Using this method I have had basically zero contam.

EDIT: Sphinx, I work of course can't you tell :P

Edited by Harry

Sounds foolproof Harry :) Very good idea - one I've not heard of.

edit again: Ace, Harry, what the hell do you guys do during the day?

Sit around entertaining you lot, of course :P

ahh ok. thanks guys. the method harry mentioned sounds best for avoiading contams, ill use that next time. when i did myn i made sur everything was sterile, all windows/doors shut, nuked my room with glen20, even wore a gas mask.

just picked up all my materials, got home. damn. just realised the jars i have, have shoulders on them. had a search through some old boxes and found these. 250mluntaperdskinnybk7.th.jpg

exactly 250mL but there so skinny? is that OK??? or do they need to be short and fat :( if this one isnt good enough ill be back up to the shops again tomoz to find some.

They will work but the deeper they are the longer they take to fully colonise. The taller ones seem to have air exchange problems. Go to Kmart if you have one near you and get some short whiskey glasses, their fairly cheap 4 for under 3 bucks when I got them.

Innoculate at more than one location, at least 2, 4 is better as it reduces colonisation time.

Make sure you shake the crape out of your spore syringe before use. The spores settle and can be hard to loosen. To defeat this I usually make the syringe when I'm ready to knock up the cakes/jars. No chance for the spores to settle this way and you get an even distribution of spores through your cakes/jars.

Best of luck :)

thanks! if i used that jar much longer would they take to colonise compared to your average one? i only got a big W near me, kmart is a fair while away. ill have a look thru big W tomoro anyways. and how often should i change the location and what sort of changed enviropnment should i move them into?

One can't really estimate how long colonisation will take, could take 3 weeks or it could take 2 months, may stall and never finish which is more likely. Short fat glasses generally take from 10 days to 2 weeks, 3 weeks on the odd occasion.

As for changing location I'm not sure what you mean exactly. After innoculation they should be moved into a dark place and kept at around 28-30 dec C. You may have the innoculation points I mentioned in my last post confused. What I meant by that was inject spores at 2 to 4 points at equal distance apart in each cake.

The short fat glasses are avalible every where even woolies, its just that some places are cheaper than others. I think from memory their twice as expensive as Kmart from woolies, not sure about Big dub but have a look. I'm a bit stingy and don't like to pay more than I have to for something. :) You'll prolly only need 4 as after you do some cakes you'll realise grain is a much better idea and move on to that instead. Matter of fact I suggest if you have enough spores do some corn jars ala Greencavefloats method. The thread is here. You already have the jars so if you have a PC then you are good to go :)

wow guys

sucks to be you ;)

in nnsw you buy a bag of cowshit and it often fruits

o/wise why wouldnt you make spawn

innoculate feedbags of pasteurised straw and horse/cow shit

leave to colonise

dump in the yard and cover with more shit

and straw

water every now and then till it fruits

??

whats with all this terrarium jazz?

seems your making work for yourelf

Well in my case Rev, cubes don't do to well outside where I live. My back yard is completely concrete :) not one patch o dirt. Plus the temps now are way to low. Got an outside grow for wood lovers on the boil though :wink: