The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Noveltea

honey tube query

I overheard a stranger in the train saying they'd just tried the honey tube method posted in the archives and seemed to have success.

The resulting oil was a deep amber colour, with nice potency. But the only thing that bothered them was a faint smell of butane or 'something' left behind in the oil even after 24hrs+ of evaporating.

The brand of butane used was 'Gasmate' x4 pack of refills(8oz cans) from Bunnings. They r used for camping gas cookers. one of the erowid links states that...

'Do Not use camping butane as some brands put a smell into it to detect leaks and other brands even put poisons into it so you cant make drugs."

do these gasmate butane refill cans contain a scent for leak detection or other poisons? and if so, any suggestions for a brand that has produced 'clean' results would be great.

ciao.

In LPG they use hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg gas) to let you know when you have a leak. Maybe the same applies to butane. While hydrogen sulphide is highly toxic, it is also highly volatile and would not remain after the butane has evaporated.

I guess the best method to find clean butane is to simply spray a can through the empty honey tube and collect it in a dish. Then evaporate and check for residue.

'Lighter butane' is probably cleaner.

Acrolein is another gas spice. Nasty stuff toxic by all routes, very irritating to eyes and skin, TLV 0.1 ppm, explodes if you treat it wrong, Nasty funky choking odor, bp 52.7 C.

a good trick is to empty a can into a bowl first, that way if anything is left over, you'll know it.

That gasmate butane is impure crap.

go to a smoke store and get some from there, it's usually better.

Try the lighter refill butane- it works GREAT and has no noticable odor.

Does anyone know if this is safe to ingest?

considering that people have been known to inhale/spray the butane lighter fuel, straight from the can, without serious short term consequences; i would imagine that the honey oil, w/the gas fully evaporated, should be ok.

quote:

considering that people have been known to inhale/spray the butane lighter fuel, straight from the can, without serious short term consequences...

And considering that people have also done this with

fairly dire short term consquences... :confused:

I am not saying there is any problem with using

butane as an extraction solvent, just that I don't

think your analogy is correct.

"considering that people have been known to inhale/spray the butane lighter fuel, straight from the can, without serious short term consequences"

Going back a few years, a kid from a local school near me died during a lunchtime of butane inhaling, if that's not a consequence i don't know what is.

ok, the analogy probably is a bad one, what i meant is that few have been harmed by directly inhaling butane- though as w/anything(especially forcing pressurised gas down the throat) there is a risk associated, the actual chemicals in the gas don't seem too harmful, so you should be safe to consume the oil after the gas fas evaporated

[ 03. March 2003, 04:01: Message edited by: nabraxas ]