The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

P.Somniferum

Hi all,

A FOAF recently planted around 10 p.somniferum "Persian white" seeds and had only one sprout. To be safe, he has put this inside his grow room with a 28W CF fluoro light (its a relatively small grow room).

Growth seems fairly steady at 13 hours of light - but his question is how many hours is optimum for the plants growing conditions? He has read Erowid's indoor cultivation guide which suggests 16-18 hours of day for flowering but doesn't mention a good amount for growth period.

Can anyone shed some insight?

Peace,

KlUe

since it's such a small light why don't you leave it on 24/7?

I'm sure the poppy won't mind...

The seeds need sunlight to sprout - that's why you only had one come up most likely... in too deep and not enough light.

Gomaos, poppies get the signal to flower by increase in sunlight hours - 24\7 would not only give it unnecessary ammounts of sunlight (since plants can only photosynthesise for so many hours) but it would probably cause premature flowering after being at 13 hours light I'd imagine... just like germinating in the wrong time of year (I had poppies flower 3-4 inches tall). Why else would people say plant at beginning of Autumn???

If it's happy at 13 hours of sunlight then keep it that way - and increase the lighting for flowering.

Consider using an additional fluro to add an additional spectrum of light - (i.e. cold and warm lights etc or how people supplement other growlights like halides with HPS for mullies). Sunlight is always the best quality light for plants so try and make it as close as possible.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

The seeds need sunlight to sprout - that's why you only had one come up most likely... in too deep and not enough light.

Gomaos, poppies get the signal to flower by increase in sunlight hours - 24\7 would not only give it unnecessary ammounts of sunlight (since plants can only photosynthesise for so many hours) but it would probably cause premature flowering after being at 13 hours light I'd imagine... just like germinating in the wrong time of year (I had poppies flower 3-4 inches tall). Why else would people say plant at beginning of Autumn???

If it's happy at 13 hours of sunlight then keep it that way - and increase the lighting for flowering.

Consider using an additional fluro to add an additional spectrum of light - (i.e. cold and warm lights etc or how people supplement other growlights like halides with HPS for mullies). Sunlight is always the best quality light for plants so try and make it as close as possible.

Cheers dude, I thought that it would be better keeping it lower.

As for the spectrum.. Its only one plant and its more of an experiment, i'll just see how it goes with this one.

Cheers :)

Cheers dude, I thought that it would be better keeping it lower.

As for the spectrum.. Its only one plant and its more of an experiment, i'll just see how it goes with this one.

Cheers :)

this time of year, you really can't beat taking advantage of natures gift of growing weather.

this time of year, you really can't beat taking advantage of natures gift of growing weather.

True, but as FOAF's only got one I thought he'd better be safer doing inside, as the bugs & possums are well known to eat his seedlings outside :(

Edited by KlUe

Poppies.org has a lot of good info even some on indoor & hydro poppy growing, I think 12 veg & 18 flower is the way to go

Cheers guys i'll have a read :D:D