The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

Dioscorea hastifolia germination protocol

I found some seeds of what I think are Dioscorea hastifolia up in the hills on a granite outcrop. This is a 'native yam' that was traditionally eaten and probably formed a carbohydrate staple for indigenous people in this area.

Any ideas on how and when to germinate and grow on? I googled but only found info for the more common ornamentally grown Dioscoreas and there may be some differences as it's a big and diverse genus.

cheers

hey creach if you do get hastifolia to germinate give me a message, im keen to add this to my ethnobotanical garden

Hi creach,

someone i know soaked the seeds but hadn´t had any germinations. They need time and darkness to germinate. I´d use use cactus soil and keep them humid but not too wet for a few months. From what i know it´s a easy plant once established. bye Eg

edit: i just read that fungal infections might help to induce germinations as it is a Mycorrhizial (i just lack the englisch word) species. Because of this, germinations can take unusually long.

Edited by Evil Genius

i have become last Year in November from WA: Seeds from D.hastifolia.

I seeding in cacti&sukkulents soil and she stand by the Window for 4 months bevore there germinate.

post-9987-0-62859800-1311019066_thumb.jp

a few days later

post-9987-0-72870800-1311019315_thumb.jp

4 Months later goes my hastifolia to sleep and for this Time i think she makes a good Tuber.

post-9987-0-73094400-1311019579_thumb.jp

The second expirience was starting in Mai this Year and one from the Seeds germinate for two weeks and i am surprised,she makes her second leave(the other one makes only one leave in 4 months).Dioscorea are courios!She surprise my again & again.....

post-9987-0-62859800-1311019066_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-72870800-1311019315_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-73094400-1311019579_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-62859800-1311019066_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-72870800-1311019315_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-73094400-1311019579_thumb.jpg

This one is seeding in mai this year and have her second leave.

gallery_9987_437_12760.jpg

Juergen

nice one, juergen thx for your uploads, probably not many people have ever risen yam's by seed! :)

i used to grow ethnos in the cold parts of europe aswell, so i know how special your achivement is.

if it would be much warmer at your place, they might grow a bit faster.

Great results, good to see some interest in growing Dioscorea spp. It's a great feeling collecting seed yourself overseas, then bringing it back and growing it out. Is D. hastifolia edible?

Is D. hastifolia edible?

post #1 say's yes! :blush:

Edited by planthelper

Perhaps a better question would be is hastifolia toxic?

All Dioscorea are edible but many spp require significant treatment to make them safe to eat, for eg most cheeky yams need to be pounded or grated & soaked in running water for several hours to leach the toxins.

It was not so easy here in germany to become a tuber/bulb from a unusual Dioscorea spec.

The most people have the usual elephantipes,sylvatica batatas or so.

If i have good luck and find any person they will help by my search for Dioscorea from other countrys it was easier mostly to become seed as a tuber/bulb(but its possible :wink: )

Yes and it´s a challenge to have succes with seed by the german varying temperatures and i am very happy to have succes with my hastifolia!

A friend from me have seeding hastifolia also,he must wait 6 months before they germinate.

It's a great feeling collecting seed yourself overseas, then bringing it back and growing it out.

Yes i know the feeling.I have send seeds from germany to australia, usa,japan and africa its good to hear they have succes with it :).

Hi shortly nice to see you here!

all information i found over hastifolia never i have read hastifolia was toxic.

Juergen

hmmm, i think all yams are a bit toxic, in the same sence as, you should not eat any of them (even supermarket fruits) raw...

maybe, leaching would make them safe to eat without boiling....

I dont know is all Yam toxic,but its possible.The usual potato is raw also little toxic.

I have read Dioscorea hispidia,sansibarensis,dregeana,bulbifera and a few more was toxic.in raw.

If you will eat there its better to cook before.

Perhaps i can collect in a few Years many bulbills or a big Tuber from my D.batatas to make roast potatoes biggrin.gif

Hi

from the last picture hastifolia 07/11 this plant makes a little vine with many leves.

The other plants was germinate with only one leave before they go dormant.

This hastifolia grows and grows and....all the other sleeping now is autum here and we have 10°C by day and the first frost by -2°C

at night.I will see whats happend in next time,the hastifolia is now in House by the window.

Its the best result from all my hastifolia germination at the moment.

Juergen

post-9987-0-68337200-1319448489_thumb.jp

post-9987-0-68337200-1319448489_thumb.jpg

post-9987-0-68337200-1319448489_thumb.jpg

Great to see an update on this. Looking good Juergen.

I now have 100 D. hastifolia seeds, but will wait until late Jan before I sow them.

Hi Tripsis,

i think Jan is ok,i have become my seeds in November last Year and the first germinate in March(with only one leave)

I think she makes first one a little tuber and in the 2.period she grows with more leaves.

My hastifolia with vine germinate in july outside with more sun and sometimes with a little gulp fertilizer in water(all 4 weeks )newimprovedwinkonclear.gif

Good Luck with your hastifolia seed,hope we can read here from you succes!

Juergen