The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mauve

Ololiuhqui bloomed in temperate country !

:unsure: isnt Turbina cyanogenic like the Ipomoeas?

At lower doses, loss of consciousness may be preceded by general weakness, giddiness, headaches, vertigo, confusion, and perceived difficulty in breathing. At the first stages of unconsciousness, breathing is often sufficient or even rapid, although the state of the victim progresses towards a deep coma, sometimes accompanied by pulmonary edema, and finally cardiac arrest. Skin colour goes pink from high blood oxygen saturation.

At doses insufficient to cause loss of consciousness, the symptoms can also include faintness, drowsiness, anxiety and excitement. Dizziness, nausea, vomiting and sweating are common.

Those symptoms fit?

yipe! Cyanide poisoning

But dont worry, I have it on very good authority that you survived :P

Quite interesting that browned leaves that dried in the sun contained too little cyanide to cause illness - if that process proves reliable it could be a very useful trick.

at this stage, we can't be sure of anything but it is safer to stay away from fresh and "green" dried leaves.

Yep, it wasn't funny at all, "cyanide" poisoning and psychedelic symptoms in the same moment :wacko:

I edited the above posts with a warning ...

Edited by mauve

Just received a 25 g. pack of "viable" seeds for these! Mauve, do you suggest I soke them in Superthrive, nick them or what before planting? Looks like I'll have some left over :wink: Thanks for the info about flowers and leaves.

I don't know anything about superthrive. Nicking the seeds is definitively a plus because the coating is very hard. Other than that... just plant it. :)

Rivea is easy to sprout and cultivate.

All this talk combined with my obsession of late has me thinking of xtebantun. This is a liquor available in the yucatan of mexico that is supposedly made from honey of rivea flowers. Being distilled, it is unlikely that any goodies make it into the final product, but a mead made from this honey..... I know, I'd need a Rivea farm, darn I don't have one :BANGHEAD2: But perhaps a mead fortified with water extracts.....in mexico of course, not here or anywhere else it may be forbidden :wink: by someone other than myself... Obviously, I'm obsessed with my new hobby :P I here that balche in mexico is often fortified with these seeds. :scratchhead:

I am happy to announce the recent birth of a new Rivea plant, i tried to germinate one of the two seeds that i obtained from my plants.

Since the flowers weren't opened in the same time and due to the absence of any polinisating insect...

...i can safely say that Rivea Corymbosa is self fertile !

I am starting to set up an experiment to verify the bloom inducing factor, with some cuttings, that will be interesting.

Now, i would like to find some new genetics for breeding :drool2:

Congrats mauve!! This thread has gotten me excited about Rivea. I know what i'll be ordering for my next plant order. My wife will be so pleased with me getting more plants. :angry:

Hey Frank Blank. Can I ask you what the purpose of the wire nettings that are covering your pots in you picture? Is it too keep out the cats/animals or is there another purpose?

Edited by liftyourskinnyfists

Trying my luck with the Rivea spirits this time around, no hassles getting em to pop... no nicking, just nibbling (spent a lot of time eating sunflower seeds stolen from cockatoos as a kid, I can do delicate work with these front ones chompchomp) the pointy non-germ-eye end until you can see cotyledons... a week or two in moist coco and sand and they pop just fine, but don't be tempted to try and wrestle the remants of seed coat off the new leaves, hard to do without damaging em and slowing em down some. I have about half a dozen up at the moment, aiming for more, local creeklines are choked with dodgy glory anyway might as well replace some of it with somethin more productive haha.

Never eaten the seeds, ya hear about the cyanide thing but then I read a bit that says there isn't enough in em to really get you that crook, might be something else in there. Personally I find advice about fasting ahead of time of this kinda thing to be kinda counterproductive... I know if I don't eat all day and then try eating something small or having a drink my guts just gurgle and slosh and get pretty uncomfortable,crampy etc and in response I can break out in a bit of a sweat or get a bit shaky due to low blood sugar etc...might be that while peaking people feel fairly normal hunger pains and gut gurgles and the mind just freaks on it a bit, like the time I took some acid in highschool days , sitting outside at night, and looked down thinkin "haha, thats funny, I actually AM seeing the little spiders ppl crap on about all oover me" then I realised that no, I WAS actaully covered in em, I was sittin below a hatching nest and they were all paragliding down, haha. Things are not always as they seem, and then sometimes, they are JUST how they seem! :P

Hoping I can baby my rivea and hawaiian over the cool part of the year for a cranking head start on next year.. just a thought, reckon saving pollen from the first ones to flower on their lonesome and then using it on subsequent blooms mmight help in low population growth... aiming to have quite a few of these things hanging around the place but in the meantime a few hundred new beans would be nice...someone had a thousand of em on ebay or somethin a while back, bastards :D

kelp mix seems to cheer em up , just a lil sip once they start on the real leaves after the forkies. Got a lil bit of red spider mite but the pyrethrum saw them on their way woohoo. I am using lemongrass clumps as mini nurseries for em, keeps larger chewy bugs away and filters the light a little while letting some wind stress get to em. Working so far.

Found some site a while ago that reckons there is woodrose taking up a fair whack of the upper catchment of ross river in townsville... bastards yet again :D but not having to live in Townsville is compensation enough (tried that, didn't work out).

happy hawaiian and reasonably relaxed rivea guys

GD