The Corroboree
Torsten

Any concreters or bitumen layers [hot & cold] on this forum?

I need some very quick advice on prices etc please, to get an idea whether I am being ripped off or not :wink:

won't take up more than 2 minutes of your time. honest !

Hey Torst, I used to do concreting work. Mainly slabs for sheds we erected but we also did driveways and paths when the customer required it. From memory I think our rates were $40 - $50 per square meter. This was about 5 years ago now.. Hope that was what you were after.

Looks like I am getting quoted about $55 for 25mpa/100mm thick slab at 155sqm. Seemed rather pricey. Then again, hotmix appears to be almost the same, but gets MUCH more economical as the area increases. ie, at 155sqm they are almost the same, while at 310sqm concrete doubles and hotmix only goes up by 50%.

I have no experience with hotmix, so don't know the drawbacks. It is for lining the ground in nursery shade houses, ie no vehicle traffic, lots of water, always in shade.

I am now curious about cold/spray asphalt, alothough the fact that we are on reactive clay worries me a bit.

At this point I am happy about any advice. In particular I wonder why hotmix is so much cheaper as the volume increases. I mean, all they need is a small roller, so fixed costs of starting a job can't be that expensive. The guy that quoted the hotmix wasn't very forthcoming with information and it's not like we have a large choice of operators in this district.