The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

T.Pachanoi - problem?

Hi all,

I got a pach cutting from SAB couple weeks ago - and I cut a few cm off the top as a precaution because it did look a little dirty from the cut.

Anyways, it has calloused nicely, but I noticed some strange growth inside the cacti after the cut - does anyone have any experience with something like this? (Pic attached).

Bug, parasite, infection.....?

Cheers in advance!

KlUe

post-2817-1170803458_thumb.jpg

Maybe previously been spiked by a peruvianoid or similar? Is there a chance that it it a spine?

Maybe previously been spiked by a peruvianoid or similar? Is there a chance that it it a spine?

It is possible mate, I don't really wanna disturb it too much though, it looks alot bigger than the width of a spike too, even if it was a big one.. Although it'd probably try and callous around it - but yeah I'm quite sure there isn't anything in there :(

If its worrying you, and you think that dark area may spred, recut it a few cm down and be sure to dust with sulphur to prevent any further contam. Also start the cut at the opposite side of the cactus, so you dont drag the nasties thru the cut if you decide to clean it up.

If its worrying you, and you think that dark area may spred, recut it a few cm down and be sure to dust with sulphur to prevent any further contam. Also start the cut at the opposite side of the cactus, so you dont drag the nasties thru the cut if you decide to clean it up.

Thanks for your help mate - i'm pretty new to the cacti scene.

Since I cut it a couple weeks ago it doesn't look like its spread or gotten any worse, so I might wait and see if there are any noticible changes before I cut any more off the top.

I'm not positive but this could be a root??

I've had similar happen to a lot of my cacti that i've left unrooted for a while, lying on their side and those sorts of growths occurred on the side facing down i.e. sending roots down into the earth.

But I could be wrong.

Nice cactus :)

I'm not positive but this could be a root??

I've had similar happen to a lot of my cacti that i've left unrooted for a while, lying on their side and those sorts of growths occurred on the side facing down i.e. sending roots down into the earth.

But I could be wrong.

Nice cactus :)

Yeah mate, was considering the root thing too, it was actually my first idea. But then I found out that they were fresh cuts just prior to posting out to me, so I don't think this is possible that quickly? But yeah thats what I thought new roots trying to come through looked like...

Cheers mate, I just hope its okay!

I reckon it's a root.

Plant it and check. If it's a root then you just got yourself a fast rooting specimen! Don't forget it in a couple of years when it flowers and you wanna make little T. pachanoi babies and are looking for two desirable traits to cross.

It appears to be a burrowing bug/parasite of some sort to me. I reckon hack it out, but there's a good chance it'll be in the rest of it too, so probably just leave it if it appears to have stopped spreading. Maybe a dab with metho or alcohol just in case?

I think a root is outta the question - it appears to be too far into the surface, not out and about searching for water/nutes. Could be wrong tho lol

So long as it doesnt spread to any other cacti/plants, I wouldnt worry too much - Old cacti tend to get a lot of ordinary looking things like this. The new pups shouldnt be affected by it :)

I reckon it's a root.

Plant it and check. If it's a root then you just got yourself a fast rooting specimen! Don't forget it in a couple of years when it flowers and you wanna make little T. pachanoi babies and are looking for two desirable traits to cross.

Good idea mate. How much do you think I should chop off if it was a root?

It appears to be a burrowing bug/parasite of some sort to me. I reckon hack it out, but there's a good chance it'll be in the rest of it too, so probably just leave it if it appears to have stopped spreading. Maybe a dab with metho or alcohol just in case?

I think a root is outta the question - it appears to be too far into the surface, not out and about searching for water/nutes. Could be wrong tho lol

So long as it doesnt spread to any other cacti/plants, I wouldnt worry too much - Old cacti tend to get a lot of ordinary looking things like this. The new pups shouldnt be affected by it :)

I guess trying Apo's idea would kill two birds with one stone :)

Plant it whole and check it in a week. If it's stuck in the soil it was a root and you can chop it down as far as you want (although I'd just leave it whole anyway), because it's rooted.

Plant it whole and check it in a week. If it's stuck in the soil it was a root and you can chop it down as far as you want (although I'd just leave it whole anyway), because it's rooted.

Hi mate, its already been planted, i've put it in the ground where the cutting was taken from (was a pup from a mother i'm presuming) - I know that the bottom part is the one thats in the soil - thats why I'm not sure if it is a root or not as its rooted at the TOP of the cutting :unsure:

Another reason to think its not a root :P I'm still leaning towards a burrower of some type, but I have no idea on those sort of things... Does anyone have a nice link to a poster or chart with informative pics outlining these sort of parsites/bugs?

Oh it's at the tip?

Apologies I didn't realise (thought it was an upside down photo of the base).

Still say it's a root! Chop it 5cm down should be plenty to see what happens!

Oh it's at the tip?

Apologies I didn't realise (thought it was an upside down photo of the base).

Still say it's a root! Chop it 5cm down should be plenty to see what happens!

Yeah mate at the tip,Sorry for the confusion lol.

I'll give it a cut tonight and see how we go.

One question though... Because the possible root is at the tip, after it callouses, shall I plant it horizontally?

If you like, I don't see why not.

I usually plant my small chunks on an angle so 90% of the chunk is underground with only a few areoles showing.

If you like, I don't see why not.

I usually plant my small chunks on an angle so 90% of the chunk is underground with only a few areoles showing.

Might try that then. Is it ok for the 'possible rooted part' to be on top though, thats why I suggested planting horizontally.

I'm finding it hard to believe how it could be a root on the top of the cutting though lol :unsure:

Cheers for the replies Apo, champion :)

When I say on an angle, I guess it's a halfway compromise between vertical and horizontal. The root doesn't have to be pointing directly down into the soil, it just has to know there's some soil around to grow into :)

Aerial roots aren't all that uncommon. They can happen for a variety of reasons, and usually if they discover they aren't growing into a nutritious medium then they just die and fall off or don't grow any larger.

This is a bit of a weird situation I guess, but let's see what happens first :lol:

When I say on an angle, I guess it's a halfway compromise between vertical and horizontal. The root doesn't have to be pointing directly down into the soil, it just has to know there's some soil around to grow into :)

Aerial roots aren't all that uncommon. They can happen for a variety of reasons, and usually if they discover they aren't growing into a nutritious medium then they just die and fall off or don't grow any larger.

This is a bit of a weird situation I guess, but let's see what happens first :lol:

It is certainly a weird situation haha, ah well, i'll let you know how it goes mate.

Cheers again for the help :innocent_n:

KlUe

come to think of it, it may also be the"root" of a flower bud, or a flowering site that has fallen years ago. They can sometimes make a taproot kinda like this one. I wouldnt worry to much unless it gets bad, quick.

*edit* i thought it may be a flower site, but it doesnt match the areole spacing or alignment... Arial root that you happened to cut thru is my other guess.

Edited by BlackDragon

come to think of it, it may also be the"root" of a flower bud, or a flowering site that has fallen years ago. They can sometimes make a taproot kinda like this one. I wouldnt worry to much unless it gets bad, quick.

*edit* i thought it may be a flower site, but it doesnt match the areole spacing or alignment... Arial root that you happened to cut thru is my other guess.

I'm hoping its an aerial root mate :)

I'll chop it off like Apo suggested and see how it goes.

Will try to get some better close ups when I have a chance.

KlUe

Just remembered i had an old post-flower chunk lying around,

Heres what i mean by the "flower root"

Pic 1 is taken at 90degree cut to the ribs,

gallery_1274_18_74912.jpg

Pic 2 is the same cut, made at around 45 degrees downwards to chase the root,

gallery_1274_18_12551.jpg

As i thought, it travels directly to the areole,as yours dosent. Sorry i dont have any arial rooting chucks to cut open and have a look. Interesting though... i never stop learning about these creatures :)

Edited by BlackDragon

Just remembered i had an old post-flower chunk lying around,

Heres what i mean by the "flower root"

Pic 1 is taken at 90degree cut to the ribs,

gallery_1274_18_74912.jpg

Pic 2 is the same cut, made at around 45 degrees downwards to chase the root,

gallery_1274_18_12551.jpg

As i thought, it travels directly to the areole,as yours dosent. Sorry i dont have any arial rooting chucks to cut open and have a look. Interesting though... i never stop learning about these creatures :)

Good pics man, to be honest they look a little similar - although as you said its not directly traveling to the areole, fingers crossed that its a root!