The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Scopulicola in flower

Just a couple of pics. The buds which you see closed opened the following night, by which time the first flowers had been hammered by a freak thunderstorm so were not exactly pretty :(

Anyway, still stoked with my first ever flowers :)

(this pic I got a little tricky and 'painted' the cactus with a torch during the 6 second exposure)

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

sweet :) i have to admit that scopulicola is one of my favourite cacti.

Excellent pics Bit. :D

Especially the first one, that looks sweet as man.

Is that the large scop that was mentioned in a thread earlier? The one that was inside the car, all the way from the front to the back and difficult to get out? If so it has adjusted to the move pretty well already :)

Awesome work Bit - I'll add that the scop is one of my fav's too :) This is the first time I've seen one in flower - verry perty :P

Them be some nice flowers :)

Excellent pics Bit. :D

Especially the first one, that looks sweet as man.

Is that the large scop that was mentioned in a thread earlier? The one that was inside the car, all the way from the front to the back and difficult to get out? If so it has adjusted to the move pretty well already :)

Haha yep, that's the one. It had tiny buds when I transported it which remained very small until about 2 weeks ago (think I got it start of december).

Once the buds drop off I'm going to propogate it, so this may be it's only flowers for a few years :| It has to be done though as it's really REALLY too big for it's pot!

Thanks for your kind words everyone :)

Cool pics bit. but...

Dont chop the whole thing down! If you want to propagate it just cut the pup off the side and cut the main stock about 20cm from the bottom. This way you should still have a large enough specimen for next flower and a powerful stock..

But then again you know what you want :wink:

Cool pics bit. but...

Dont chop the whole thing down! If you want to propagate it just cut the pup off the side and cut the main stock about 20cm from the bottom. This way you should still have a large enough specimen for next flower and a powerful stock..

But then again you know what you want :wink:

Thanks :) I hear ya, but the main trunk has a lot of scaling which is none too attractive. I will leave about 3 foot at the top, a foot at the base, and that should leave me 2 reasonable mid sections to trade :)

Thanks :) I hear ya, but the main trunk has a lot of scaling which is none too attractive. I will leave about 3 foot at the top, a foot at the base, and that should leave me 2 reasonable mid sections to trade :)

Hi

I have found a friend at a local nursery here in Southafrica.

Looking at your picture, they must be related. Maybe someone here traded it for a eucalyptus tree in the sixteen hundreds. Hehehehe!!

juuls2.jpg

Juuls.jpg

The rumors out on the globe is that the ozzy's has been eating this one for a while now and was originally thought of as a Pedro. It has never officially been tested but by sheer coincidence it happened to be active.

Since there’s no lab papers on the net for it…

My question is:

What is your opinion on this species regarding activity?

And how does it compare in your experiences with the other cacti?

Ps. You can bring over some qualla now. The eucalyptus is growing everywhere here now.

Nice Pics Bit!

George, thats most likely a Trichocereus Scopulicola FR 991! Nice Find! bye Eg

Nice Pics Bit!

George, thats most likely a Trichocereus Scopulicola FR 991! Nice Find! bye Eg

Heh, this is an old thread :D The cactus in those pics is the one which I got my timelapse of 5 flowers opening this year :) It's been "resized" and is now in about 4 pieces :)

I'd like to know too. Trout say reports vary just like patchanoi so it boils down to what you have eaten and where is it now?

By accounts I've heard yes they are, in NZ anyway. They do seem quite a bit rarer than pachanoi.