The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Greeny

Loss of freedom = Drug use & Crime

I have been thinking lately about how it must have been to have grown up in older times when you could go out hunting or plain camping. Have a bonfire let off fireworks ect

These days its so imposible for kids to do things. Once you hit the age where using the swings and slippery dip loose their joy their seems to be a void. I know skateboard ramps and what not are being invented but when I wasa kid their was nothing like that. I grew up in cabramatta and their was nothing at all to do once you hit about 12. Drugs and stealing cars was just about the only fun activity to be done. I believe that funding should be allocated to form groups for kids to do more constructive things like scouts or cadets. I went through both and I fear if I hadn't I proberbly would have started on heroin once the weed buzz gave out.

The extreme sports craze is proberbly the answer but not everyone gets into the ramps but I suppose these lack of freedoms is just the enevidable side affect of urbanisation. I still believe that the youth of today would be alot better off with a bit more freedom and a lot less drugs.

What does everyone else think?

I agree with you grenny, and to also add to what you are saying.

My dad when he was my age and younger had a gun and he and his brothers used to go out pig shooting and mucking around. I remember my unlce told me that when he was a boy he accidentally shot the neighbours chimney next door and got a big whooping for it LOL.

They lived in a semi rural area near brisbane, an area which is now built up.

Dad used to have fireworks and they used to throw crackers in to the pig pen to scare the pigs and he used to blow up stumps with gel ignite..

Can you imagine today if you did anyof that ?

I do think that youth can be bored today, lots have changed since back then alright.

I think cities are kind of like farms :blink:

We've known for hundreds of years that in farming a monoculture invites disease and devistation, in many modern cities you have a 'monoculture' of concrete, houses, cars, concrete, houses, cars. Living in an ocean of concrete is bad for the psychological health of the populous I think.

I grew up right in the middle of a city of 3,800,000 people. Compared to other areas my neighborhood was abnormally peaceful and low on heavy drug abuse. The reason I think is that I grew up next to a 300 acre wooded park filled with streams, rivers, hills, little hidden chill spots, and a few hundred plant species, a small public domain orchard, and bordered by the ocean. There were a few other large wooded parks such as that one throughout the city and in every instance the bordering neighborhoods were happier than they "should have been".

I think we should quit trying to build cities as giant concrete human-nests and spread out the population so there is still the possibility of connecting with the natural world.

And also, of course, end the pharmacratic inquisition and cultivate a society that can give truly factual information and a proper context to psychadelic use rather than lumping every drug together in a vague classification as 'bad' or 'evil'.

australia is overgoverned by fools. Its like this, one day 3 L-platers will be in an accident, 2 days later parliment is all up and crying for law changes!