The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

yipeee, i'v been posting like crazy the last days,

i wanna see my post no 2000, lol.

here it is :o:uzi: !!!

was extra hard work as one time after a server crash many of our posts dissapeared.

incredible to think for me that i posted here so often, but i like this job and what i have learned here is mindblowing stuff to say the least.

Is the number of posts some sort of status symbol for people ?

It can be for some.

Some people get high post counts because they make plenty of brief empty posts and others build it up with quality posts - so the signal to noise ratio varies on many forums according to the type of posters.

There's always people who have high post per day counts, and you'll find they slot into one or the other group.

Hey, this has increased my post count by 1 ;)

Some people get high post counts because they make plenty of brief empty posts

Hmm, Ive noticed that often. As in someone asks a question, and another replies "Oh, I know nothing about that". SO WHY FUCKING POST A REPLY!?

I can understand cherishing your Ebay count, and also your % rating, but a forum posting figure is not really indicative of anything IMO.

Perhaps a WORD count :) Although that would be artificilly bolstered by people postinf news articles.

Anyway, will the world be a better place, will anyone benifit from my post here ? Who cares, I'm one 'point' closer to Nirvana. :lol:

Edited by Green Osiris

i think maybe ph put this post up because all his post are quality there not just empty posts to get his counter up congrats ph :) and thanks for being here on these forums bringing your knowledge here they wouldnt be the same without you

... all his post are quality there not just empty posts to get his counter up...

well... except for this thread's post anyhow :)

Perhaps for some, and so what if it is? Or is it that members with high numbers of posts present a problem for some with less?

This issue has been raised several times before, and it has been agreed that status is accorded not on the basis of quantity, but quality. Content is what counts.

Some highly regarded members have been here for years, yet have relatively few posts...others rack up hundreds in a few weeks or months.

That said, making 1000, 2000, or even 10 000 posts are milestones...perhaps especially for some established members of the community, to whom the sab forums are home and provides the opportunity to share experience and knowledge not appreciated elsewhere.

In Ph's case, 2000 posts represents an enormous contribution to the community...and he deserves to be recognised for this.

Congratulations Ph... :):wub:

I'm not ashamed to say I'm excited about approaching 1000 :)

Edited by wandjina

Perhaps for some, and so what if it is?

I'm intrigued as to how it may be viewed a landmark figure. That said, this is the only forum I use, or have ever used, so excuse me if I fail to see any relevance in the number. My original comment isn't a dig at planthelper, as he/she does share some invaluable experiences, including some interesting comments on a past query of mine that I need to consider carefully before proceeding on a forthcoming project.

Or is it that members with high numbers of posts present a problem for some with less?

I can't possibly see how.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm excited about approaching 1000 :)

I'll put mine up on swap n sell if you want to trade for one of your artworks :)

I'm intrigued as to how it may be viewed a landmark figure.

diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

The forums mean more, or different things, to some ppl than others I guess.

Number of posts can be taken as an index of time and energy invested, interest in ethnobotany and allied topics, feeling of belonging to a community of like-minded individuals etc.

If you're not in some sense committed or 'serious', who's gonna stick around long enough to post 1000/2000 times? Can anyone nominate a member with 1000+ posts who is not highly regarded and/or respected?

Alternatively, most trolls and numb-nuts dissappear pretty quickly through lack of attention or because they just don't seem to 'get it'...

I have noticed that some ppl tend to view the number of posts thing negatively (appears to happen at most web forums IME), especially if 'ranks' are involved, and sometimes resent the hierarchical structure they feel is imposed in this way.

Never seems to be long-standing members who take issue though, whether they have 15 posts or 3000... they were all newbies once too.

So why does 1000, 2000 etc seem to have a certain cachet? ....well, why so much emphasis on turing 100? On centenaries, on millenium this and that, why all the hoo-ha in the year 2000? Why not celebrate 1999 posts?

Perhaps we can blame the decimal system for this great, and thoroughly arbitrary, injustice!!!?

But really, why do you care if someone is chuffed about having posted 2000 times?

Even if your response isn't a dig at him directly (though if it were me I would have thought it was), who are you to criticise and question the relevance of anyone's 2000 posts?

I'll put mine up on swap n sell if you want to trade for one of your artworks

:rolleyes:

pffffft

not even if you paid me

Edited by wandjina

hmm, there was once a post of auxin and he mentioned on the sideline something like, oh i'm the 6th prolific poster at sab, and somehow one new he was proud of it. i held him in high regard for showing us how this made him feel!! i certainly did let my innerchild out, saying look at me 2000, but as said it's somehow a milestone which represents a bit of a reward or achivement.

when i was a newbie, i didn't had it too easy, but i knew, i had something to say and nothing would stopp me from doing so. for me, the forums are full on, the interactions cause me all emotions the same way as "real life" anxiety, frustration, anger, joy, achivement and the lot.

when i get positive feedback sure i love it and thats one of the way's how energy comes back to you, apart from knowledge.

i think this forum is very friendly to newbies, and i try not to be influenced by the no of posts as there is no corelation between quantiety and richness of info.

i sort of like the trivial posts aswell, as they provide the feelgood vibe and some human warmth, and i don't have to concentrate whilst reading them, haha.

i have been though to two forums where i felt a bit put down by the hierachy of "high score posters", although they should have known that i know what i'm talking about.

the forums gave me the abilety to work, and foremost learn on all fronts of shamanism, for example i love the fact that many people here get inspired to do art or play a little bit of chemo stuff. i think, we are not people who use a lot of street drugs, we rather get excited trying our new vodka lotus, or herbal blend.

and when we meet in person at times, it's allways so incredible, as you all are sooo nice people, with insights which i will never get tierd of lissening too.

Wandjina, You seem to be quite vocal about (alleged )negativity being attached to ‘x’ number of posts on forums, but I am yet to see such a trend. How does it present itself, perhaps I’ve missed it. Surely a forum of like-minds (that would be any forum, right?) would be ragging newies more than regulars, if at all. Not that I have seen this trend on SAB either mind you - apart from first posters asking for prints or rattling on about their big illegal drug escapades maybe. Even then I find that on SAB it’s more a case of ‘think about what you’ve just written’ and a gentle request to respect the community as a whole without dragging it into some sordid cyber-haven for law-breakers.

Let’s look again at my original post shall we ?

Sobriquet followed with a straight up answer to my (genuine) enquiry, and my subsequent comment merely concurs with what I have noted in the past on occasion where there is a definite trend towards small, shitty posts. This is not even to suggest that anyone is bolstering their counters for the hell of it, although I am sure it does happen.

I fail to see why you are taking such strong umbrage to my li’l ol’ post. Been trying on a few hats since reading your entry (albeit on the same head), and fail to see where you make such assumptions. Is PH offended ? Dunno, perhaps he can tell me. Was it my intention ? Nope. Do I have a negative viewpoint on posters with a high post count ? I repeat what I said earlier, I can’t see how, in my view or others that you suggest may have such a petty low self-opinion of themselves in cyberspace.

You also ask ‘who am I to question or criticise’ the relevance of someone’s 2000 posts. Again, I cannot see the criticism in my first post, however we are all granted the freedom to question something we do not understand. This site’s full of it. How can you deny anyone the freedom to question?

Wandjina, You seem to be quite vocal about (alleged )negativity being attached to ‘x’ number of posts on forums, but I am yet to see such a trend.

yet you have also said:

this is the only forum I use, or have ever used

Considering you've also been MIA for most of the last year, it would be surprising if any 'trends' became evident to you.

But just to be clear, i was referring to web forums in general...tho there have been some posts here and at EB in the past where ppl questioned number of posts vs. status/rank etc, and they were usually recent arrivals. It is something I have noticed elsewhere, or several occassions. There has also been crticism of 'post whores'...those who rapidly rack up 100s of posts, but ultimatly it all comes down to substance.

How does it present itself, perhaps I’ve missed it. Surely a forum of like-minds (that would be any forum, right?) would be ragging newies more than regulars, if at all.

Sorry, when did i say this was a frequent occurrence?

Occassionally this does happen (they're usually referred to as trolls), tho usually doesnt last long.

Whatever the case, SAB is exceptional as far as web forums go, 'ragging' on newbies isn't a past time as far as I can tell....whatever the case, a sample of one cannot be taken as representational even if SAB were ordinary.

Let’s look again at my original post shall we ?

You have failed to appreciate the context, or how your post would be understood/interpreted.

'Status symbol' has a negative connotation in general usage, and hence your post can be taken as criticism, or as judgement. It also comes across as a rhetorical question, as if you have made an observation and are expressing your opinion, not meekly inquiring. I feel it has an accusatory ring to it.

I fail to see why you are taking such strong umbrage to my li’l ol’ post. Been trying on a few hats since reading your entry (albeit on the same head), and fail to see where you make such assumptions. Is PH offended ? Dunno, perhaps he can tell me. Was it my intention ? Nope. Do I have a negative viewpoint on posters with a high post count ? I repeat what I said earlier, I can’t see how, in my view or others that you suggest may have such a petty low self-opinion of themselves in cyberspace.

as above...IMO your 'lil ol post' reeks of negativity and judgement IMO, and I don't think it was appropriate or nice to post it in this thread.

And 'cyberspace' is full of individuals who make it their business to stir up shit or 'troll'...it's like a hobby or something, and i feel this way of relating is low self-esteem made manifest.

And to be honest, I find your tone smug at times and it irritates me.

You also ask ‘who am I to question or criticise’ the relevance of someone’s 2000 posts. Again, I cannot see the criticism in my first post, however we are all granted the freedom to question something we do not understand. This site’s full of it. How can you deny anyone the freedom to question?

By that logic how can you deny me the right to question who you are to post something that I, (and I suspect many others), feel is implicitly judgemental and unneccessarily critical in the context of this thread?

Please don't misrepresent my argument to bolster your own...I am not denying you or anyone else the 'freedom to question' (now everybody rise for a stirring rendition of the star spangled banner), I take issue with your insenstivity and cocky attitude.

Edited by wandjina

And to be honest, I find your tone smug at times and it irritates me

I take issue with your insenstivity and cocky attitude.

Those two statements therefore render you incapable of making an unbiased observation/interperetation of my comments without being coloured by your general attitude towards whatever may come out of my posts, perceived or factual. If there are any personal attacks being flown about here - ie this thread, I don't think Im the one who is guilty of doing so. Of course I can only speak of my intentions (or lack of) behind my words, you've made it quite clear that my sentiments were otherwise.

We are both falling into the trap of nitpicking each other here, analysing comments/statements potentially out of context. However for your part you are making it quite clear what you think of my presence on the SAB forum. I cannot understand what may have been said in the past that makes you feel this way, but I would have expected that a moderatly intelligent woman such as yourself would consider that whilst SAB is a community of like-minded people, regardless of post counts, it is not an entirely collective mindset. Rather we (can I say 'we'?) are all unique individuals with our own aspects of admirability, loathing, opinion and many other traits that make us our own entities. As with elements of more mainstream society, there will always be those who simply do not 'click' with one another. If, as one might read as an implication, you refer to me as 'making it my business' to shit-stir (troll?), then I'm not doing a very good job, as I don't feel my posts are either particularly ignored nor taken with offence by the whole (SAB).

The terminology 'status symbol' in common vernacular is not a statement with negative connotations at all. In typical interperetation, it is more associated with prestige, or perhaps something aquired through hard work/dedication. In the context of this forum, and specifically post-counts, I can't fathom how this can be 'negative'. I am only re-iterating this to help you understand that there was truly nothing noxious in my original post, despite your assumptive protestations, a razored response of which have since been validated by your sense of ire towards my presence here.

Thank you for noticing (or concluding by some simple member info scanning) that I have been MIA for most of this year. You are correct. However for the time that I do trawl (not troll) the forum, I consider my postings vs reading quotient a wide margin - the latter being more common. Do I go out of my way to meet others face-to-face ? No I do not, I am mostly incapable of doing so for genuine reasons irrelevant to this thread. Do I trade materials/flora ? Not really, as I am again unable to (although there are some odds and sods that I would like to share in the near future). Do I speak at length about my small but pride fuelled ethno-garden ? Again no, as I keep it close to my heart.

I'm probably going to end my contribution to this thread, at least in the context of sparring with you, as I am a little (only a little) hurt - despite my insensitivity - that my contributions overall have created a non-friend (enemy is too harsh a word) in this community, whether I consider myself a part of it or not. Which raises a question. Do you (personally) consider me an active & valid contributing part of this community ? Or do I fall in the category of post whore, lacking substance, ragging, trolling, negative, shit-stirring hobbyist, etc etc ?

Truth be told, I was going to be a smartarse and make this my 300th post, but I simply forgot about it when I posted something earlier this morning. So this is my 301 ! That sad lonely no-zone betwixt newbie & regular perhaps. :lol:

Go easy on me, hey ? I'm not here (on this earth) to instill bad vibes either incoming or outgoing (intentionally anyways).

Perhaps we can blame the decimal system for this great, and thoroughly arbitrary, injustice!!!?

:lol: I like it! :lol:

Congrats PH, you better be around for 10,000 more eh??!?! :wub::worship:

Love your presence.

Come on guys. I think planthelper posted this thread in a light hearted and jestful way.

Who cares how many posts anyone has?

Believe me I've been on forums where there are some people with 20-30 000 posts! You sometimes think to yourself what a wasted and miserable life those people must lead, but it actually isn't that difficult to rack up a high count when you are genuinely interested in the topic at hand.

A person's hobby can take up all of that person's spare time, and sometimes it is that person's main life and occupation.

So it's not surprising that on this forum many of the highest posters are very involved in ethnobotanical plant cultivation. My classification of this forum based on posts per day (ppd) is from high to low:

1. Commercial growers / those earning a living from this hobby.

2. Serious hobbyists whose leisure time is spent almost entirely on plants.

3. Social posters who come for mostly chatting and the plants are peripheral to their enjoyment.

4. Seasonal hobbyists - lurkers mostly and read and post during the growing season for specific things.

5. "Parasites" - only ever make a total post count of < 10 and participate for a short time to acquire something and leave.

It's not an exhaustive list but sums up what I've gathered from reading daily posts as well as historical posts found with the search engine over time.

Edited by sobriquet

If that was a Myers-Briggs Question, I would comfortably go with number 3 for myself. Perhaps a little of number 4 in the reading stakes.

Although I'm genuinly surprised that it's a 'high-to-low' classification, with 'commercial/making a living' being number one (I take it to be ethno, not general flora). Apart from SAB (Torsten), Herbalistics (Darren) and my local friendly HHH in Newtown, Ive only ever obtained bits from members that I always thought were just hobbyists willing to share their harvest for a nominal fee (and why not! Everyone wins). So am surprised that more people are 'making a living' than I thought. Sure beats a shitty 9-5 office job like mine.

You know, perhaps I am a post-count snob myself, more on the low ones. I was recently PM'd by a newbie that Ide never communicated with before, offering to supply me with a potentially illegal plant matter - actually to my understanding totally illegal to supply in dried form - I thanked him for his kind offer, declined, but inquired as to why he picked me, or whether it was just spam. To date, no response. Interesting to see how long he sticks around for, or whether he's going to be a category '5'.

Thanks for making an unbiased comment on the thread. As an aside, Im trying to find your 'le Voyage' post so I can comment on it. Stay tuned.