The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

New garden!

Took a small garden and redug the whole thing to a depth of about 8 inches.

Fcuk me there's a lot of dirt in 8" of garden! It's only about 3 square meters.

Anyway, it's now got about 60l of scoria (layer), 40l of pumice, 40l of compost, and 40l of potting mix mixed into the existing clayish topsoil. I actually wanted to raise it a bit, but that didn't happen as I ran out of soil.

I've planted a couple of cacti and a spiky pollyfilla (sp?) . I'll probably rearrange it again once my big pachanoi cutting is ready for planting, and when I gather up the courage to propogate my big scopucola.

I'm buggered. Will take pics of the plants in place later.

Here's the garden:

IMG_9021.jpg

And a closeup showing the soil:

IMG_9022.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mullllch !!!!! :wub:

Hey Bit,

Thats one sweet little garden you've got there - thinking of doing something similar though i'm renting at the moment, so i'll hold out until i get my own place me thinks :)

I'm keen to see some happy snaps of the garden w/ plants in it!!

Looks like you've done a great job of it - you should be proud! :lol:

Hey Bit,

Thats one sweet little garden you've got there - thinking of doing something similar though i'm renting at the moment, so i'll hold out until i get my own place me thinks :)

I'm keen to see some happy snaps of the garden w/ plants in it!!

Looks like you've done a great job of it - you should be proud! :lol:

Thanks man. I picked up my big pach (could be scop? will post pic tomorrow) today. We're renting too, but that garden (in fact all the gardens around this house) have pretty hideous plants in them, so I'll dig them out one by one as I need more space. Mrs said no more cacti on the deck, so the garden it was! I should be able to transplant them if I ever have to move :)

Sounds like your gonna have quite a nice little garden happening over there Bit :) looking forward to the pickies! Hope it prospers for you :lol:

Thats a great looking garden bed. They should grow real good in there.

I have a suggestion. Try laying weeping hose in the ground as a watering system. That way the water goes directly into the soil around the roots. also if the soil dries out and becomes hydrophobic it will be easier to get it wet again. I really wish i had done this to my garden.

I have a suggestion. Try laying weeping hose in the ground as a watering system. That way the water goes directly into the soil around the roots. also if the soil dries out and becomes hydrophobic it will be easier to get it wet again. I really wish i had done this to my garden.

Great tip Dug! :wink:

Well, just a quick update with the morning's work in the garden:

Here's my big cutting in place, and a few other plants. The big one is burried a foot or more deep, so little chance of it falling over I hope.

IMG_9105.jpg

Well, just a quick update with the morning's work in the garden:

Here's my big cutting in place, and a few other plants. The big one is burried a foot or more deep, so little chance of it falling over I hope.

Really nice :)

With the long piece, I would have probably cut it into at least three pieces but even a 50cm off the bottom and planted as a pupper like the one to its right (maybe it is the same?) would have been a good way to increase your stock of it.

As it stands you've wasted 30-40cm through having to bury it. Cut into several pieces would have meant you could use more of the cactus above ground in compensation. It also gives you some insurance against a dreaded rotting episode. With 30-40cm buried you're more likely to get a rot set in. With more cuttings and shallower (even superficial surface placed) you'd have far less risk.

Impressive size to it anyhow and I'm sure it's the look you wanted to achieve and for that it's great.

I take it that the long one is an as yet unproven specimen in terms of assaying.

Edited by sobriquet

Really nice :)

With the long piece, I would have probably cut it into at least three pieces but even a 50cm off the bottom and planted as a pupper like the one to its right (maybe it is the same?) would have been a good way to increase your stock of it.

As it stands you've wasted 30-40cm through having to bury it. Cut into several pieces would have meant you could use more of the cactus above ground in compensation. It also gives you some insurance against a dreaded rotting episode. With 30-40cm buried you're more likely to get a rot set in. With more cuttings and shallower (even superficial surface placed) you'd have far less risk.

Impressive size to it anyhow and I'm sure it's the look you wanted to achieve and for that it's great.

I take it that the long one is an as yet unproven specimen in terms of assaying.

Thanks :) I figured that if I cut it up I would be burying about 10cm for each piece anyway, so there's 30-40cm wasted which ever way I do it. With regard to rot, it's the start of summer here, and I have made sure the soil is nicely draining :) A cutting this size should push roots out very quickly! Fingers crossed! I'm also keen on any pups it has reaching the same diameter, which is a lot more likely keeping it as one piece. And yeah, it's not about propogation for this guy, I know where I can get more of the same no problem at all :D None of my cacti have been assayed.

The smaller blue piece is a faslimy special, not sure if it's been id'd. Have to wait a couple more weeks now to be able to afford to finish the garden! :)

Very nice there Bit - I think it would look tops with a few agaves or other succulents to clump around the bed, and of course a few more columns! But you can never have enough :wink: That tall spineless specimen is beautiful! You said you are able to get more cuttings at the drop of a hat - any chance you would be able to send them to the land of Oz? I'd be very happy to purchase a foot or so of it! (i suppose there may be probs getting it thru customs though... :( )

once again, nice work and looking forward to seeing it complete :lol:

They are some healthy looking plants Bit. I think i might be moving to New Zealand! Nice A.polyphylla. I grew some from seed but they constantly burn,frost rots them and they rarely spiral. I just cant find the right place for them. I'll keep trying. If u want to pay for postage i will send u a few interesting pieces for ur new garden. I've got plenty of tricho's.Hi, i'm jactus. :)

They are some healthy looking plants Bit. I think i might be moving to New Zealand! Nice A.polyphylla. I grew some from seed but they constantly burn,frost rots them and they rarely spiral. I just cant find the right place for them. I'll keep trying. If u want to pay for postage i will send u a few interesting pieces for ur new garden. I've got plenty of tricho's.Hi, i'm jactus. :)

Thanks jactus :) You have pm!

For those wanting cuttings of the same as the big guy here, it's not exactly drop of a hat, but I can get them. Early next year I'll get another one for propogating :)