The Corroboree

yes i agree, looks great.

i like the psychedelic aboriginal motifs. Some of the images look a bit like some of the early heavily influenced by shinto, japanese anime by Miyazaki. It reminded me of the great forest spirit from Miyazakis 'Princess Mononoke'. Below is a link to some images of it, but it also transforms it gigantic translucent spirit which resembles your artwork, unfortunately i could only find pictures of it in this (small) form.

http://www.fantasykat.com/ch/dg/forestspirit.html

Actually shinto would probably interest members here because of its closeness to nature and nature spirits (kami). Miyazaki is a great introduction to this philosophy for westerners. I might add some more to that on the spirituality forum.

Below is an image from a book that has exquisite artwork by a famous promoter of Rumis (Sufi) poetry. Coleman Barks. It also uses a combination of aboriginal style art with Sufi motifs and is called 'the illuminated prayer', if you can get a look at it you might find some great inspiration and ideas for your artwork.

post-1995-1166065323_thumb.jpg

Edited by thunderbird

Real nice Penny! I will look forward to seeing more.

i like the psychedelic aboriginal motifs. Some of the images look a bit like some of the early heavily influenced by shinto, japanese anime by Miyazaki. It reminded me of the great forest spirit from Miyazakis 'Princess Mononoke'. Below is a link to some images of it, but it also transforms it gigantic translucent spirit which resembles your artwork, unfortunately i could only find pictures of it in this (small) form.

Aboriginal? interesting...you're the first person to see my work that way. Not a conscious inspiration...but there you go!

And I'm very flattered to be compared to Miyazaki...Princess Mononoke is one of my favourite films...quite partial to Nausicaa too. Now that you mention it, i can really see it in the eyes of 'sub-species II'!

Aboriginal? interesting...you're the first person to see my work that way. Not a conscious inspiration...but there you go!

And I'm very flattered to be compared to Miyazaki...Princess Mononoke is one of my favourite films...quite partial to Nausicaa too. Now that you mention it, i can really see it in the eyes of 'sub-species II'!

I'll second the Aboriginal motif idea. It's an inescapable impression from your avatar and 'wandjina' handle even prior to seeing this body of work.

I love them. They remind me of colour photographic negatives; images implicit and explicit. Subconscious almost, very visceral and definitely visually stimulating.

I'd also consider buying some if they were for sale.

BTW I've always seen your avatar as being a praying mantis but with a hint of peacock. The circular motifs I find are very consistent with the 'wandjina' theme - the rock paintings with the circular headgear reminiscent of ancient astronauts visiting earth.

The circular motifs I find are very consistent with the 'wandjina' theme - the rock paintings with the circular headgear reminiscent of ancient astronauts visiting earth.

eek...von daniken strikes again!!! :o

My take on wandjina is a nature spirit associated with the rains/wet season (also the name of a good mate of my brother's from high school).

But ancient astronauts visiting Earth? Unadulterated malarkey IMO....prefer the panspermia theory myself, as far as seeding is concerned.

Inner journeys reveal truths orders of magnitude more bizarre than notions of pan-galactic tourists with a penchant for genetic engineering.

Edited by wandjina

Amazing. Have you ever considered put your art on t-shirts?

I do screen printing in my spare time. I thought it might be an

another way to express your ideas to people.

Its up to you.

Amazing. Have you ever considered put your art on t-shirts?

I do screen printing in my spare time. I thought it might be an

another way to express your ideas to people.

Its up to you.

yes, i thought the same, its very similar to what gets sold in circular quay to the

tourists on teeshirts.

• Like 1

It's times like this I think.

This thread needs a serious bump

• Like 5

It's times like this I think.

This thread needs a serious bump

Good idea naja naja - thanks for digging it back up. The immortality of art.

I had until recently been taking care of Penny's cockatoo. I gave cocky to a friend as he and penny were much closer than myself as I knew it was the right thing to do. If however anybody out there has a piece of Penny's art they would part with, please PM me. I am particularly interested in her praying mantis art. I know that she donated several pieces to EGA raffles over the years. I want to make sure her art is preserved.

Peace

Naja

• Like 1