The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
John_Barleycorn

Opium travails

A friend of my gnome's hairdresser has had a couple of unpleasant experiences with opium lately, and asked me to seek the advice of you, the collective. Basically, he is not sure whether he has simply been overdoing the morphine, or whether other opiates like thebaine may be coming into play. This is all from anonymous seed.

Symptoms include (a) gastric irritation, eg, major cases of the hiccups (enough to keep him awake all night), and heartburn all the next day (B) nausea (doh!) but oddly occurring the morning after, not at the time

© highly prolonged effects (this is from eating), lasting up to 18 hours (d) stomach contents pitch black, 12 hours after consumption (which leads him to wonder whether something is hanging around in there).

Anyone seen anything like this before?

method of ingestion? quantities involved? don't like the sound of 'anonymous seed'. the safest way that i've heard of is to work with a known strain, crush and blend all your pods after the years harvest is over which will ensure uniform strength throughout the batch. teas or tinctures allow a lot of control over the dosing, i've heard it said. a vodka tincture would work a treat, having alcohol and water within it. i'm assuming that your gnomes hairdresser is not careless enough to be actually milking the pods as this is seen as a risky activity. also many people take these things thinking that they are in for a nap, really the effect should be described as restless dreaming.

Originally posted by waterdragon:

method of ingestion? quantities involved?  i'm assuming that your gnomes hairdresser is not careless enough to be actually milking the pods as this is seen as a risky activity.

His pods were indeed bled because he had previously discovered that poppy straw extract was so weak. The air-dried bleed was cooked in water, then re-dried over a steam bath, yielding about 500-1000 mg of crystalline substance. Consumption was a little bit snorted (youch!), a little bit smoked, followed by the bulk dissolved in coffee.

The main question here is whether all these symptoms sound consistent with too much morphine, or whether something else may be involved. Oh yeah, and another symptom: inability to urinate for about 12 hours. This caused some consternation, as this person's stomach was at the same time bulging from all the beer which had been used to wash the opium down frown.gif

"stomach contents pitch black"

Hmm, don't know anything about opiates, but you may have a stomach ulcer there. Maybe not though. Best to check it out, unless you know of the cause of the black stomach contents. Is it like dark coffee grounds, then it may be internal bleeding?

kai

Like I said, I'm not a doctor or anything, but better safe than sorry.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...ymptoms&spell=1

Better safe than sorry eh?

I have a mate back home, who got on a train, and found himself waking up in hospital the next day after loosing a bucket of blood.

Signs & Symptoms of Ulcers include:

burning pain in the abdomen behind the breastbone. The pain often occurs between meals and in the early hours of the morning. It may last from a few minutes to a few hours

belching,

nausea,

fatigue,

heartburn,

vomiting,

chest pain,

loss of appetite and weight.

Bleeding from ulcers may occur in the stomach and duodenum.

about the method of ingestion:

in the place like golden triangle, only the chiefs and olds man have the right to eat opium, the other have to smoke it.

smoking is more mild and regular, like with MJ .(remenber your first spacecake)

opiums with less than 7% of morphine are manufactured in chandoo, a smokeable opium.

opiums with more than 7% are for "eat opium".

opium is often hard for gnomes stomachs, that is surely why it is best to use it in liquid forms or rectally.

what you describe look like a strong codeine trip.

opium made with dry pods is more strong in codeine and less quality than one made with fresh latex.

there are often more bad effects like nausea with this kind of op.

the bad effects could also be the result of waxes, thebaine, or fertilizer residute...

about inability to urinate: drinking water regulary and eating grappfruits could help your body to filter drugs.

but remenber that it is a pain killer and one of the effect is to forget that you need to go urinate. go regulary and don't wait the last time.

maybe all gnome don't have the same sensibility to opiates but i am pretty sure that the proportions of alkaloids is as important as the quantity of alkaloid for pleasure.

Originally posted by squiresk:

Better safe than sorry eh?

[/b]

This has indeed occurred to me, and is a bit of a worry, especially when considered in conjunction with the day-after heartburn. This would be consistent with the eaten opium being a gastric irritant.

Another symptom that has just been relayed to me smile.gif Intense itching, during the trip, not during the hangover. I take it this could be classic opiate symptomology?

A slightly left-field question: what are the odds that the black stomach contents are actually undigested opium? It occurs to me that the opiates have the effect of inhibiting a number of bodily functions including, presumably, digestion. So consumption by eating could be kind of counter-productive, if you see what I mean.