The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
phloom

wanted phleb seed

its a long shot i know, but if anyone is willing to provide me with some itd be great. i can also send germinated plants back your way if you desire.

willing to buy them or swap for obtusifolia tubestock.

phloom, I'm in the same boat as you. I would love some seed, and see how phlebs like the tasmanian climate.

how hard is it to get a permit to collect seed?

i made some comments in regard to the hobby cultivation of phlebophylla in my recent update of the phleb threadHERE

As such, i would hope that people would try to supress their desire to grow this plant for a few years until the plant has replenished its natural seedbank.

Its best not to encourage commercial collection of this seed, and buying/trading with anyone that has collected phlebophylla seed should be discouraged on ethical grounds.

At present there is only pre-fire seed available which is few and far between, however in the coming years the plant is bound to set seed (lets hope it does... its flowering cycle has been very irregular the past 3 years, with no known seeding since pre fire).

Until the TC project is successfull, i just dont think it is cool to 'try' to grow this plant on the whim that it 'may' be possible.

Unless your living somewhere where you have the time, energy, and natural environment, to ENSURE the survival of these plants, leave it to mother nature and TC!

Edited by ({E})

No worries ({E}), I totally agree with what you are saying, its good to have people close by to protect this fragile ecosystem.

I realise this request is pointless until cultivated trees start to produce seed.

To anyone who is holding onto some seed: - ive been working in bush reveg/nursery for a number of years now and ive got the setup to grow these babies. The only problem for me is that i probly live too far north for them to be successful in the ground here.

So....if anyone has seed and isnt confident with germinating them, give them to me and i'll send you back some plants. Otherwise, to all who are active in the true protection of the environment at Mt Buffalo....big ups to ya!

Edited by phloom