The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

Voacanga africana

Thanks to a very generous and new O/S member i have some V. africana seeds to give away. I dont live in an area that is too kind to all plants tropical and would really like to see these seeds grown if possible.

Im unsure of the age of the seeds, a couple of months or there-abouts, so therefore im also unaware of the viability. Ideally i would like these seeds to go to people capable of the plants propagation.

I have four lots @ six seeds each.

and like it says in the topic description, first in first served :)

Edited by Passive Daemon

:o Jebus man that was quick, lol

OK, 3 left.

:o Jebus man that was quick, lol

OK, 3 left.

I'm in !

Thanks man

pmed

townsville should be tropical enough?

I'm interested, would you send to Indonesia?

yep, no worries bijanto.

knew I should of taken a day off today!! :(

Good luck with them guys. Be sure to be nice and offer them back when you have success! :lol:

Thanks P.D. , let me know if you need anything from here :)

Anyone who missed out, it looks like our seed was highly viable and we have had several flushes of germination. So we should be able to offer about 30 plants or so in summer sometime. This species is definitely going to make it out there this season.

PD, I received the seeds today, thanks man!

Four seeds do sink in the water, and if I'm lucky I'll send you a pic of a big tree in a few years. gallery_831_61_67.jpg

sweet bijanto, i hope they all grow dude.

Thanks man got em today.

Any one got a teck to germinate them? I UTFSE but no banana.

look for the iboga tek. it's very similar, except that the seedcoat is not so severely crinkled.

look for the iboga tek. it's very similar, except that the seedcoat is not so severely crinkled.

So removing the seed coat is unnecessary? I will follow your iboga tek so fingers crossed

So removing the seed coat is unnecessary? I will follow your iboga tek so fingers crossed

That's not at all what I meant. It's just that with voacanga you actually CAN remove the seedcoat in one piece, while with iboga you have to wait for the brain-like folds to unfold themselves bit by bit before you can take the coat off. Alternatively I often actually sued to sacrifice the cotyledons on the iboga as they were a mess by the time they were extricated anyway. if the meristem in unhurt most plants will quickly produce true leaves. It does weaken the plant though.

The most problematic part of the voacanga seed coat is the bit where the radicle comes out. This area forms a hard leathery collar. The sooner you can cut through this collar [without injuring the stem], the more likely that the rest of the emergence will happen by itself.