The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shadako

Newbie planting help

Hi there,

Found this site through google after watching an Ayahausca documentary on SBS. Bought a few things from herbalistics and the results have been interesting.

Anyway, having a bit of trouble germinating datura metel v chloronatha. All my datura seeds have been in crappy potting mix for about two weeks, didn't find out about vermucilite (sp) and heat requirements of datura till recently. Is there anyway to salvage these seeds? they were free, but I think the plant looks interesting, so I'd like to grow one.

thanks for your help.

Not sure about that species, but the stramonium takes 3-5 weeks to sprout, so do a little research 'cause it may very well take longer than 2 weeks..

try ur seeds on a layer of coarse sharp sand say 5ml deep, on top of a soil mix mixed with a lil css and a LITTLE blood and bone mixed in. sprinkle a little css on top of the seeds, just enough to cover em, water in well, store in a shady place. Bob should be ur uncle. oh yeah make sure u water the pot in well before sowing the seeds, then water in again after the seeds have been sown.

hope is of some help, sometimes when u sow seed directly in soil, dependent on what fungi/bacteria, water logging capabiliies r present they can rot b4 they get a chance to germ. at least with the sand its sterile and porous, u just hafta make sure the sand is kept moist throughout the germination.

maybee put in a humidity dome or make one out of a coke bottle etc.

good luck mun.

This is a disturbed soil species. It won't germinate unless the seeds are recieving at least a small amount of sunlight.

If you buried your seed then you may as well continue the 'nature' simulation by stirring up the top layer of soil to bring some of the seeds closer to the surface, and then watering.

We have a search engine here, you should use it, many people have asked the same questions as you before :)

Do you mind if I ask, what spurred interest in Datura after watching an Ayahuasca doco? Or did your curiosity begin to spread after you found the forums?