The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

ipomoea hybrids

How well do ipomoeas breed amongst themselves? I want to cross violacae for it's rampant growth with muelleri for it's potency. Anyone else tried something like this?

cheers

hi,SC !

sounds great!

how does one avoid sperm competition,

with the panty hose, yes thats what they

say. but what if i put lots of different

pollen on an ovary, does nature ( i mean

the sperm ) fight other pollen for the

chance to victoriously fertilize...

" the to be new seed "?

wink.gif does one know here?

is it similar like with human sperm competition?

sore, smilling cloud ! but breeding topics are allways sending me off, bla, bla...

i wish you all the best with your breeding.

Just wondering if muelleri has hairy stems. I've seen revs pics and the leaf shape of mine is exactly the same but I couldn't see if it had hairy stems or not.

cheers

[This message has been edited by Smiling Cloud (edited 02 November 2002).]

Guest reville

i cant remember. i haven't planted this ears seed yet (its an annual).

I dont know about Ipomoea hybrids

It might succeed, bets bet would be to inject the pollen directy into the ovary so then its only a matter of genetic complaibility not whether onr not the pollen tube is able to grow on the stigma (i hope thats right, i need a refersher on plant anatomy)

om second thoughts thats all a bit technical and so much could go wrong.

I did read once in a book on breeding your own vegetable varieties that seld incompatibility can be overcome by pollination before the flower matures - they were pollinating the female flowers on broccoli with pollen from older flowers on the same plant to self the plant and develop a new variety. Thsi might be another thing to try.

Personally i would bother with I violaceae at all - ive never seen one (of the seeding types) where i live thats anything more than a straggly vine with a few leaves, ive had difficulty growing it - I muelleri is much more vigorous and is a good producer of seed.

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 03 November 2002).]

i managed to grow mine 2 years running rev.

and they produced hundreds of seeds...?

this years babies are coming along strongly to!

what type of soil are you attemting to grow them in?

[This message has been edited by mr b.caapi (edited 03 November 2002).]

Guest electro

re: Originally posted by Smiling Cloud:

"Just wondering if muelleri has hairy stems."

I'm 98% sure that i have mulleri growing (that i got samples of from the side of the road).

It does have slightly hairy feeling stems (though it's dark atm so i couldnt SEE any hair) ... the rough hairy feel i assume is also what irritates your skin when you brush past it (hence it's "poison morning glory" name ?)

the name "poison morning glory"

comes fromthe fact that cattle and sheep

eat it and die!

Do they die from TOO much LSA or something else in the plant and does it just effect ruminants?

Guest electro

"the name "poison morning glory"

comes fromthe fact that cattle and sheep

eat it and die!"

geese ! well, u learn something new very day smile.gif

"and does it just effect ruminants?"

*shrug*, but at lower doses friends of peeps i know havent noticed ANY unwanted side effects (after a non polar wash)

[ 30. March 2005, 14:54: Message edited by: electro ]

Guest reville
Originally posted by electro:

I'm 98% sure that i have mulleri growing (that i got samples of from the side of the road).

It does have slightly hairy feeling stems (though it's dark atm so i couldnt SEE any hair) ... the rough hairy feel i assume is also what irritates your skin when you brush past it (hence it's "poison morning glory" name ?)

ok im confused. toatlly

u are in NSW and yet you claim to have found it on the side of the road??

My books lsit it as only occurring in the midwest and murchison region of WA heading a bit further north.

also , brushing past it? mine was a mat groundcover - whats yours? any pics?

Guest electro
Originally posted by reville:

ok im confused. toatlly

u are in NSW and yet you claim to have found it on the side of the road??

My books lsit it as only occurring in the midwest and murchison region of WA heading a bit further north.

also , brushing past it? mine was a mat groundcover - whats yours? any pics?

Yes, it was on the side of the road growing flat on the ground in parts and over a whole heap of dead bushes in others (a climbing groundcover?)...

to harvest it i had to brush past the stems (which had me itching and in a rash for the next hour- although tree ferns do that to me aswell)...

someone else posted pics of theirs for me to compare ... it looked exactly the same.

The vine itself (each strand) is about 1.5 m long, with new "strands" growing from where each leaf grows.

The flowers and leaves are fairly small (fitting the sab description to the letter) much too small to be heavenly blue.

The flowers are a pinky violet colour.

This is old farming land here, (recently developed with a few hobby farms still around)

Similar (although larger looking [leaves flowers etc]) grow along the train lines from out west all the way in to the city, with HUGE amounts of it at rookwood cemetary.

I will post a pic of both my vine, the original and the train line ones when i borrow a digi camera.

And re is it hairy: yes i checked today, especially new growth.

Guest electro

heh, now ive changed my tune....

My vine's leaves are small enough to be i.m

BUT, whe returning to the main vine to see how fa along seed production was i found some bigger leaves .. some up to 10 cm long ...

I think rev is right in saying that i dont have a mulleri...

frown.gif

if i knew how id post a scan of a squished (into the scanner) flower & 3 leaves (including the big one thats throwing my id out the window.

Hi all,

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but I have a couple of morning glory questions and figured this was a good thread to ask it in...

Firstly, last year I found a few plants that I am sure are morning glory of some kind. The flowers look exactly like photos I have seen, some are quite purple, others more purple-blue. The vine tips look exactly the same as well. What I am confused about is, the plants are back again this year and I went to get a cutting, and now I notice that the leaves are not heart shaped, but more like a heart with three bottoms. Kind of like the leaf is three fingered, except the fingers aren't seperated, they are joined with just three tips on the leaf instead of one. Both the stems and the leaves have a fuzzy fur on them. Is this a form of morning glory? And if so, is it LSA containing? Does anyone have links to pics which could help me identify?

Also, is morning glory self fertile, or does it require two plants close together to pollinate each other? The reason I ask is I went to look for seeds on the ones last year but couldn't find any pods...maybe I was just too early or something. Any help much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Peace_Patrol (edited 18 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Peace_Patrol:

The flowers look exactly like photos I have seen, some are quite purple, others more purple-blue.

Observe the flowers first thing in the morning and again in the early afternoon. Morning glories change from a brilliant blue in the morning to more of a purple blue as the day progresses.

[/b] The vine tips look exactly the same as well. What I am confused about is, the plants are back again this year and I went to get a cutting, and now I notice that the leaves are not heart shaped, but more like a heart with three bottoms. Kind of like the leaf is three fingered, except the fingers aren't seperated, they are joined with just three tips on the leaf instead of one. Both the stems and the leaves have a fuzzy fur on them. Is this a form of morning glory? [/b]

Sounds like it might be Ipomoea indica - a noxious weed in many parts of Australia and indeed overseas - fuzzy fur on stems and leaves is a give away. This one will take very easily from cuttings but will then probably take over the rest of the garden - and then the neighbour's garden - and then the local wetlands etc etc. This specimen has tainted the reputation of the entire Covulvulacea. I doubt there's one species of the morning glory family that is a permitted import into WA and I would imagine that the huge areas infested by I indica have contributed to such bureacratic decision making processes. The idea that all members of the morning glory family will become noxious weeds is an example of the witch hunting anti-intellectualism mentality which permeates all levels of government. Just try growing Argyreia nervosa in Perth! (plea for help disguised as sarcastic comment - if anyone has any suggestions on how to get HBWR beyond the two leaf stage these would be greatly appreciated!)

And if so, is it LSA containing?

Assuming it is I indica then thats a good question. I did a search and found it listed in a website on Somoan medicinal plants under the traditional name of "fue moa."

No further information was given. Also I pes-caprae is known by the same name - a species quite likely to contain ergot alkaloids given its use in assisting childbirth and treating headaches in traditional contexts.

Also, is morning glory self fertile, or does it require two plants close together to pollinate each other?

Not the traditional morning glory Ipomoa violacea or I purpurea as it may be known. This will produce seed from the one plant. I indica on the other hand is very unlikely to self fertilise due to self incompatible genes. See -

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda...latives/03.html

This page is worth having a read of as it targets the question initially raised in this thread. Note that I purpurea pollen can be successfully introduced into I indica. If something like I muelleri could be combined with I indica then you would have created an absolute monster -

-High alkaloid content deterring natural preditors.

-Vigorous vegetative growth and propagation.

-Assuming the seeds were viable then it could reach new areas eg by being transported by animals.

-Able to survive winters in most temperate climates whereas I violacea tends to wither and die.

Send me some seeds if it works!

Hey man,

Thanks a lot, a very helpful reply! After doing a google image search, I think it is Ipomoea Indica...kind of a bummer really...

If I ever get my hands on another morning glory plant, I will attempt to cross pollinate them, and get back to you if they bear seeds! Until then, my search continues for an active morning glory!

Thanks again smile.gif