The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Torsten was right about C.S.S.

After seeing Torsten strongly advocate Course Sharp Sand (CSS) so many times I was starting to think he had invested in course sharp sand manufacturing plants and was trying to boost his profits, but I finally tried it and IT DOES WORK QUITE GOOD!

I got some acacia seeds from him and soaked 4 until they swelled and planted them in 1/2 cactus soil 1/2 potting soil, none sprouted.

I soaked 4 more and planted them in cactus soil, one sprouted.

I then found CSS so I soaked 5 seeds and planted them in 70% CSS 30% potting soil, ALL FIVE SPROUTED!

So when Torsten talks about the wonders of course sharp sand listen to him (and dont use cactus soil as a 'substitute'.)

Now the fun part starts, I get to spend 1/4 of my remaining life span turning these cute little seedlings into superb tropical bonsai.

i'm lucky that i took his advice some time ago, lucky also that when i go up into the hills seeking sapphires that a byproduct of the sieving is coarse sharp sand. the stuff is indispensible when putting soil mixes together, excellent drainage.

hi,

i mix me river gravel from leftovers

when i go fossicking aswell.

yes me potting mix contains at times traces

of gold, platinum gemstones everything , bla, bla to just cut the crap. i like old vulcano stuff too.

seaweed ( kelp and so on ) contains

a lot of elements aswell...

the magic here is not only good drainage,

but the encludence of all those hard to get minerals... those which are absent in normal

potting mix!

wink.gif