The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Green tea as a purgative???

Let me paint the scenario before I begin... every time I have had this reaction it has been when I have run out of my much loved green tea with jasmine teabags and brew it myself with the tea leaves. As with yerba mate I will admit I brew it very strong (really after a pick me up as I limit my coffee to my strong long black with tyrosine in the morning) and it is usually on an empty stomach.

10-15 minutes after finishing my glass I start to feel strong nausea and throw up the liquid - and my question is:

What is it in the tea that my body is rejecting???

If you are vomiting it's an emetic...if you shit yourself it's a purgative ;)

Either way both can be experienced from a range of tea / caffeine products.

I haven't studied it much but possibly it could come down to either the tannins or the caffeine.

Tannins will do it...when I have a strong cup of black tea, chug it relatively quickly I feel really nauseous and end up throwing up...Coffee for me can have very strong purgative effects, I put it down to the caffeine but really know nothing about it, so it's probably not caffeine at all.

Anyway, just a guess, i'd say tannin is the cause.

hmm...i think i was talking absolute bollocks lol...can't find any info for tannin being an emetic...swear i've read it before.

Edited by gerbil

tannins are the reason for alot of the emetic effects of caapi and other brews is it not? im positive ive read it somewhere b4 2 gerbil ..

catechins?

how many of the regular teabags do you usually have?

any nausea from that?

how strong is strong?

some people do suffer nausea, dizziness, gas, etc after drinking green tea. usually when it's more than 3-4 cups. it is noted frequently in trials for therapeutic use of green tea. fresh ginger reduces those effects.

Sorry, I remembered just after I posted the thread that I meant emetic and not purgative but haven't been back on the site since I posted it.

Tannins!!! That was my guess. It's not caffiene because I don't get the jitters or anything before throwing up, it comes on very suddenly and I just puke up water\tea.

By strong I mean about 3 teaspoons of dilmah large leaf green tea per glass.

No nausea from my green tea and jasmine tea bags - even if I use two.

From personal experience i have found that drinking green tea while severely hung over and still a little drunk made me want to vomit more so than i was before the beverage....

tannins...yep, I reckon it is too...but also can't find anything substantial re tannins=emetic. They certainly have that effect on me...almost to the point of there be little point to ingesting anything too astringent, except for the benefit of emesis. Other ppl dotn seem as sensitive, but I just cant seem to keep anything high in tannins down for long, or long enough.

Tannins stick to proteins (hence tea sometimes implicated in Fe deficiency?), and can be removed with gelatine or egg white....'fining', cf wine.