The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
VINS

less codein and thebaine in poppy

does someone know which are the morphine-strain with the less content of thebain and codein? they are parasit which stop the dreams and make sleeping impossible..

does codeine content always high when morphine content is high?

does it exist a comparative list of strains?

i know there is a big number of poppylover here, this question is for you.

thanks

[This message has been edited by VIN'S (edited 09 October 2002).]

the forums at poppies.org would have the answers to all the 'content' style questions. just do a search of their site, there was a thread just recently on high strength strains.

thank WD,

but i can't ask at poppie.org and i am not really surching for the most high content strain but for the best strain.(it is really different. cf "opium pleasure topic").

yesterday i read all of your post.

i was sure you will answer this topic and it is a pleasure for me...

[This message has been edited by VIN'S (edited 08 October 2002).]

Guest reville

From my limited reading i believe the varieties of the western meditteranean are the best, with asiatic types containing more codeine.

Maybe you can find in seed catalogues the old varieties of French poppies, or also in belgium or spain?

this strains don't exist anymore..

i know an old french strain with 18% of morphine but it was eradicate at the begining of the century.

i think i have to look for old-greek- variety (very little pods), what's your opinion?

but the only greek poppy seeds i found was not a somniferum.

[This message has been edited by VIN'S (edited 09 October 2002).]

original tas sounds like a suitable crossing variety for persians. keep us posted if/when these become available in any quantity please.

oh, i am very interesting in this seeds too...

but i have a question: there are breadseed poppy, thebain poppy and morphine poppy in Tasmania. so why talking about "the" tassi?

there is different kind of tassi strain isn't it ?

Well There are a few now in tas,

Dont get me on specifics but there was the original opium strain,Then they started playin around and made Norman,Son of Norman,Thebane poppies & so on.

As My Gnomes are only interested in the original stock used before all the GM crap was introduced,This is all people will be getting from them smile.gif

Guest reville

I wonder if the alakloid profile of the plant is present in the seeds too.

If it were itd be possible to screen seed lots fot thebaine residues, if thebaine is present discard if not keep

Im wondering exactly how they use thebaine- i thought it was only in 10% of poppies in a field mixed in. If so itd be interesting to see how that changes in the pollination. Is thebaine pollen stronger or weaker than the regualrs - so does the gene frequency go up or down? surely growing out small batches year after year woiuld lead to some genetc drifnd you could reclaim the original thebaine free strain.

Rev, it is really interesting.

i think they try to find a strain which is the same year after year because poppy seed can't live more than few years and creating a specie is a hard job. for sure they don't want to do the same job every 3years.

about your tebain question : it is use to produce a semi synthetic opiate called Buprenorphine. it is used as a substitute for heroin. in her best chemical-form, it is one hundred more powerfull than heroin...

i don't know more, except that it's puke!

i forgot adetail:

without a chemist,in the wild form, tebain is not effective as other opiate.it give convulsions.

i found a list (jim hogshire) of the poppies components if someone is interested:

first group/phenanthrenes:

apocodeine

apemorphine

codein

codeinones

desoxycodeines

hydroxycodeinones

methylmorphimethines

morphine

morphinols

morphol

morphothebaine

neopine

phenyldihydrothebaine

pseudomorphine

pseudothebaine

thebaine

thebainone

thicodides

this group is the one used for drugs

the second group is benzylisquinolines and contain more than 20 alkaloids (noscapine, papaverine, ....)