The Corroboree
sobriquet

Acacia holoserica (pics)

Hi all,

Many of the sought after Acacias in Australia are members of the Juliflorae branch of the family that are distinguished by longitudinal channels in the phyllodes and bearing their flowers on stalks.

Members that many here will recognise that belong in this family are:

Acacia longifolia

Acacia maidenii

Acacia obtusifolia

Acacia phlebophylla

Acacia sophorae

Today I found another member of the family: Acacia holoserica. I don't know how much people know about this member or whether anyone else is growing them, but I couldn't resist getting a couple of these.

Aholoserica.jpg

A. holoserica

Acholoserica.jpg

A. holoserica close up.

Not having done a tryptamine burn test before and not sure whether a plant this juvenile would provide a meaningful result I'll leave it to others to decide whether growing this species more extensively is worthwhile or not.

It's the beginning of my foray into the Acacias :)

I don't know much about holoserica but there has been enough discoveries of interesting individuals within the Juliflorae to warrant investigation of every species. I'm particularly interested in some of the kimberley and pilbara species as there are a few and I don't think they have been comprehensively assayed.

FWIW Juliflorae is correctly termed a 'section' of the genus Acacia.

Well I don't know if it's true of maidenii and longifolia also, but I know that phlebophylla and obtusifolia have the reddish border on the phyllodes and this one seems to share that trait so this will be interesting indeed as those others with the red border seem to have the tryptamine content.

creach thanks for pointing out that it is 'section'. I was both unaware of this as well as conveying the information colloquially.

I love holoserica, especially its beautiful, huge velvety phyllodes.

I have seen this species being increasingly used in landscaping.

I love holoserica, especially its beautiful, huge velvety phyllodes.

I have seen this species being increasingly used in landscaping.

Yep ive used this one in some of my landscaping work before... Never seen it flower tho, and i havent encountered it in the wild (as far as i know)

It has a very pleasant softness/velvet to the phyllodes as DOM said... BAck in the day wehn i was planting them out i would often realise i was spaced out sitting on the ground stroking the phyllodes... hehehe

I think it is mentioned as containing Hordenine, in the bark from memory.

Yes I discovered that through a search also. An old CSIRO paper from the 60's.

They'll have a spot in the garden landscape though. Their foliage is a real feature.

So its probably not worthwhile as a source of tryptamines.