The Corroboree
ramon

Steamer Basket

Have recently bought a large pressure cooker but the steamer basket greatly reduces the volume I have at my disposel.

Can I sterilize cucinarware jars on the bottom of the pressure cooker instead of the steamer basket.

Hi Ramon,

Does the steamer basket have a wire support thingy it sits on? If so pull it off and place the basket directly on the bottom of the cooker. Otherwise place a tea towel submerged in water between the base of the cooker and the jars.

Do not let the jars come into contact with the base or they will crack.

Do not let the jars come into contact with the base or they will crack.

I've never had this problem myself using recycled pasta sauce and other food jars. Although, if you are just starting your mycological career then you may as well cover all your bases and be extra careful.

Hi Ramon,

Does the steamer basket have a wire support thingy it sits on? If so pull it off and place the basket directly on the bottom of the cooker. Otherwise place a tea towel submerged in water between the base of the cooker and the jars.

Hi DOM

Its the width not the height that is the problem. There seems to be about 2cm gap all the way around the basket, which adds up.

Shall go with the tea towell and try without (maybe) in the future

The reason for the basket / tea towel is that air bubbles form the boiling water can get under the jars, lift them up and then they drop down... and can break.

I have never used eitehr and never had a rbeakage. All my jars are reused food jars and tend to be flat bottomed... perhaps this is more of an issue with an indented bottom?

Youd be surprised what could handle a little pressure cooking - mosat tuperware as an example...