The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Greeny

Lunacy

I never liked the "moon sprang from a collision" theory... as there is no real moon-sized crater on earth. The only thing that suggests this is that they have found every naturally earth-occuring element on the moon... it's just a pity the ratios are different. Still...

You need to read the theory again. Im comfortable with it actually because impacts are one of the most common geological process in our solar system. Just look through a telescope at any non gaseous planet and the major physical thing you will see is meteor craters. Earth hardly shows its scars because we have huge amounts of ongoing weathering and plate tectonics. There's no magical 'moon sized crater'. The 'theory' is that a large planetoid smashed into earth billions of years ago. When an impact that size happens it doesn't leave a crater, it obliterates the existing planets mantle and the two fuse together to form a new mass. The remaining debris not attracted back into the earths mass conglomorated into the moon. The reason there are similar geological material between the earth and moon but different ratios is because the ratio of our earths mantle at the time of impact was different to what it is now. We can't go and find remanents of that old mantle easily (if at all) because 1) It was basically destroyed in the fusing planetoid impact and 2) because of the earths ongoing tectonics and weathering have re-organised the original mantle's geology over vast amounts of time and process. The earth hardly has any measurable crater sites from the last million years let alone billions of years. Understanding evolution is a bit like understanding what war is really about: lots of long, slowly orchestrated organisation with outbursts of short intense violent catastrophies. The wavelength and the zero point.

The orbits are pretty close to perfect, but the moon will one day crash into the earth, likewise we will crash into the sun... if it doesn't supernova before that. 'Orbit' is really a scientific way to say 'falling very very slowly, and in a circle' as we get closer every year.

Like I mentioned before and what Creach said, I have heard otherwise that the moon is drifting away from the earth. I can't find a reference in any of my books at home either but its presented without contention in popular science dvd's such as Nova 'Origins of the universe'. Scence describing orbits as 'falling very slowly'?? Which science books are you reading?!

Life on earth is very much a 'right place, right time' scenario. This is one thing that gives me difficulty believing in the Big Bang 'Theory' Keep in mind that society's current model of the big bang theory dates from the 70s, and the current astrophysics model needs a PhD in Astrophysics to understand. I had my friend, who is actually a rocket scientist, try to explain this to me. And yes, it IS still a theory.... just like Darwin's THEORY of Evolution. Do not take them as fact, they are merely the most generally accepted hypotheses.

All thought is obviously theoretical. 'The most generally accepted hypotheses' is exactly what science is all about. Its the best truth we can come up with at a time (often also to best suit our collective needs at that time) given our resources. Theoretical science is the part I find the most fascinating. The original models for a big bang, played around with during Einsteins time as a result of his theories of relativity, are not much more primitive from what was explored in the 1970's. Technology improved the theories weight the 1970's. Contemporary models of a big bang theory have also been heavily influenced by improvements in satelites, lasers, supercomputers, gravity wave detectors and X-Ray telescopes such as the WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe). The beauty with this technology is being able to chart some of the supposed big bang's early radiation and, if some of our theories on light are reasonable, we get a decent glimpse into the universe's past. Ive read some good theories that explore matter and space being produced all over the universe at various times and that black holes play a part in making this happen. It reminds me of plate tectonic action so Im interested in this theory but the big bang is simply the 'most generally accepted hypotheses' and makes a lot of sense with some of the atsrophysics theories we're dealing with - such as what forces set up our solar system for the evolution of life or what forces set up the moon in its current location that could potentially influence our behaviour in marked ways.

I think astrophysicists love hiding behind the idea you need a PHD to understand big bang and similar theories. Im sure the 'world is not flat but a wobbly sphere' took a while for laymen to understand during its era.

Ive always felt that the universe is complex in its details but quite simple in its articulation. The universe can be written to sound exceedingly complex in a way you'll never understand it, or universes can be described very simply, like bubbles popping into existence and expanding/accellerating within a pan of water until they burst or are re-organised back into the boilng pan. I dont understand all the details of a porsche 911 but I know its effect on me. I dont know all the details on the moon but I know its effect on me.

Edited by botanika

botanika........ damn your well educated

P.S. Nabraxas That was an awesome little poem you wrote was that your work?

no--sorry, i should have made it clearer...that's the last track "Eclipse" from the Pink Floyd album "Dark Side of the Moon"

no--sorry, i should have made it clearer...that's the last track "Eclipse" from the Pink Floyd album "Dark Side of the Moon"

Ahhhhh zi floyd *sigh* I wish that bands still were able to have such insight as to structure an album with self contained messages in each song and all songs part of a meaning contained within each album.

When will they forgo the money they earn and live the music once more?

That is the reason I believe in illegal downloads its not about the artist its about the music

Ahhhhh zi floyd *sigh* I wish that bands still were able to have such insight as to structure an album with self contained messages in each song and all songs part of a meaning contained within each album.

you mean concept albums?

yeah some bands still do em :D