The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

eryngii again...

Finally fruited some excess bags...didn't expect much but they've responded well...

They've fruited and consumed themselves multiple times...some bags started to get some bacterial growth but most are still very resistant to attack.

Some straw logs...some euc regnans sawdust/straw/paper

Anyway if people want to add some pics of their season rundown please do...

gallery_239_4_116859.jpg

Visually I adore these stout little ones, love them!

gallery_239_4_10662.jpg

gallery_239_4_99512.jpg

Lips have dried out, leaving orange/yellow stains

med_gallery_239_4_3142.jpg

Edited by gerbil

nice one gerbil.

this one is of a "shimeji" mushroom. I abused it from the start. the tech. is as follows

poured boiling water over newspaper, forgot about it for a week then emtpied out the water. Cut up some shimeji mushrooms on a chopping block and roll up in newspaper. Forgot about it for a month or so and these are the results. they dried out a couple of days later :(

post-850-1159343123_thumb.jpg

Nice, i love the look of those eryngii. It would be good if they started growing wild here in aus :)

kickarse DuG!! love it :drool:

hehe shapes are great, i love the colours also prophet :D

Slowly...I've been meaning to introduce some native 'Eryngium' thistle species as it's thought to parasitise (or semi?) Eryngium roots whilst they sensece or something like that.

Most nurseries say they have problems germinating Eryngium, but I've seen a patch recently out at Organ Pipes National Park and they have 'Blue Devil' germinating outdoors on volcanic soil (basalt/scoria from memory)

Rev has also mentioned the possibility with carrots which is a good one.

Anyhoo just a little update...these were from the 28th (yesterday) They grow really fast.

2 headed shroom bottom right corner

gallery_239_4_26777.jpg

This guy is going to be very thick...

gallery_239_4_1948.jpg

Fennel could also be a potential host to P. eryngii

I recall reading somewhere that there's a strain or subspecies

that grows on a species of Ferula. ?Ferula communis maybe...

Little update...gradual harvest...

Most of the harvest so far saw individuals no less than 200gram a piece...the largest one off this flush was 460g fresh, the photo doesn't do it justice, it's huge.

I missed a days watering and alot are now stained yellow with dried up gills, but have given them a good shower and will harvest the rest tonight or tomorrow, just cosmectic damage which is fine for home use.

small rips of eryngii on pizzas are beautiful :D only tried this last night and it's quite unique, or maybe i just had the munchies :unsure:

gallery_239_4_57365.jpg

gallery_239_4_16827.jpg

and the double header

gallery_239_4_4821.jpg

Edited by gerbil

Really cool pics - excellent work! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Very inspiring Gerbil thanks..I think a road-trip is in order soon as I save some money :rolleyes:

am constantly amazed with these eryngii...

Pulled up a shitty little garden bed the other week to work the soil; dug up the 2 shallow buried straw logs which hadn't been watered for a long time, everything was incredibly dry and hot...upon digging I found a very healthy flush coming out :D ...

In the garage, some logs still in the little polyhouse thing are doing the same; I haven't watered them since the last flush (last photo), they've dried out heaps, been overly neglected but are starting to flush again with healthy mushrooms; these things are ridiculously vigorous and resistant to a lot of contamination.

(however I did throw out a heap of neglected logs being overrun with bacterial infection; but still most hold on strong for a long time)

as said many times; Rev you're a legend, such a kickarse isolate; support Funky Fungus!!! :worship:

Thank's for bringing this back up gerbs...man I love them pics :drool:

I must have the same strain I think because I recently remembered I stuck eight 1 Pint jars loosely stuffed with innoculated straw and poly-fill lids in a dark cupboard in my haste to move in here and get settled.I totally forgot about them.

So I a couple of nights ago I went to check on them expecting to find dried out infested straw.To my utter amazement not one jar was infected,the mycellium is growing fluffy,yet there is some untouched straw showing in places....and there are hypheal knots forming in one that I accidentally left in the light for a few hours!!...bear in mind these are 3 years old!!!!

I might try the newspaper-tek on half and on the other I'm thinking a mix of verm and paper-pellets in vitro...just a shame Dad took his camera back last week or I'd post a pic.

Once again thanks gerbil Iove your work and Rev's strains are bloody hardy!

Cheers

Edited by mescalito

lmao 3 years?!?! that's amazing :)

these guys must have some pretty funky protective enzyme secretions, that's just mind boggling :D

Look forward to hearing how it works out for you; hope you get a good haul for a good feed...I highly recommend making a good tomatoe based pizza with nice rips of 'shroom and some other veges :drool:

I'd be interested to hear how the in vitro trials go :D

take care mesc