The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
iNFiNiUM

Acacia phlebophylla

Hello,

I have 45 seeds of Acacia phlebophylla (Mt. Buffalo Waddle) for sale. I would greatly prefer to sell these few seeds of this interesting and extremely rare/threatened plant to people who have had success growing acacias, and who are up for the challenge of growing a uniquely tricky species. I will sell the seeds for $6 each, including shipping for any #.

for more information: http://www.tryptamind.com/acacia_phlebophylla.html

Please contact [email protected] or PM me.

Steve

IMO if u really cared about the survival of this species u wouldnt be caring about the profit. ie $6 per seed :(

Edited by Jeffery Jones

Are you situated in Australia even? I wouldn't pay that much for them considering chances are they will die within a few years even if they germinate.

There are people here who can give much better information than that on tryptamind. Until there is a decent tech for growing these, all seeds should be returned to their natural environment before any non-experienced grower wastes their time with them.

I did not collect the seeds, I purchased them, and they were not cheap. My only interest is in the preservation of this unique plant. I'm in it for the challenge of keeping a species alive that has very few individual representatives maintaining its' existence. I have previous experience growing phlebs a few years ago. I believe I can use that knowledge to help me keep them alive and happily growing. I am in Ontario Canada, and am actually the author of the website Tryptamind.com :) If you have any ideas for modification/addition to the acacia phlebophylla webpage (or any other), I would be happy to add them to the site.

Steve

Edited by iNFiNiUM

The best thing you can do is grow them in canada - or the northern usa. might as well make use of the seed that is already out there to create ex-situ seed sources. however, there is little point in selling these seeds to the highest bidder. a more responsible approach would be to screen potential growers for their skill in growing acacias, their climate and most importantly the fact that they have an in ground location that they have control over for at least the next 10 years (ie someone who owns his own land).

and yes, I will reply to PM soon :blush:

cmon guys

its 45 seeds

who else is going to figure out the secrets of cultivation if not us?

government agencies? private comanies?

unlikely

there is enough skill and passion to find success here

think of all our past successes already

growing plants has taught me that a few seeds killed means 1000 live

lets not wait till there are no seeding phlebs

45 in good hands may be all it takes to crack it

I will decline cos my climate is wrong. But if i ever move to tassie ill have my hand up

cmon guys

its 45 seeds

who else is going to figure out the secrets of cultivation if not us?

I agree

It's the fact that they were being sold that concerned me. But it sounds like infinium is doing the right thing when it comes down to it.

I have a large number of these seeds and I wouldn't sell them... but I do give away seeds to people who can convince me that they are aware and green thumbed enough, planting them in the right kind of climate... in order that they might grow.

Julian.

I agree wholeheartedly, As long as the growers are experienced and commited to the preservation of the species. Canada would be great, and I thought you might have been the author of tryptamind, thats why I asked if you were in Australia.

There are several old threads here in regards to phleb for potntial growers

I have only just able to grow obtusifolia with great confidence after 4 years of growing, This is a good acaia to start with if people are keen to try. Gives you a frame for the fertilizer requirements, soil types, symbiotic fungi required (store bought or natural), temperatures, water requirements etc etc.

I would like to give both of these acacias a crack in NZ, I have land there in cold temperate rainforests at altitude (eg snow sometimes during winter, mid-20's during summer), but thats a fair way down the track for me :)

symbiotic fungi required (store bought or natural)

I'd live to know what to do about this point. Openly discussing matters such as these would be very worthwhile.

My thoughts in posting the "seed ad" here were to find the best people for the job of growing them. I think distributing them to multiple people who are serious in growing them (ie. willing to pay $6 for a seed) is about the best thing I can do with them. Only people who have knowledge of/interest in A. phlebophylla would be interested in these seeds. For me, this is a worthwhile challenge, an interest, and a hobby. This will be my second attempt; I was able to keep them about a year the first time, and I think I can use this previous experience to do better this time. You haven't even given me a chance to do any screening yet ;) Besides distributing this plants' genetics, it doesn't matter where you are if you set up a controlled environment to grow them in.

Steve

it doesn't matter where you are if you set up a controlled environment to grow them in.

I tend to disagree on that point. The vast majority of phlebo seeds have been grown by people in the wet subtropics, who also happen to have a lot of experience with this plant. However, virtually all of these have failed. In contrast there are plants in cooler climates of winter rain/summer dry where people have grown these to maturity with little skill other than having grown some other acacias before.

While darcy is doing well at the moment it remains to be seen how they fare after a few years, so the jury is still out on the not-so-wet subtropics.

I really think distributing seeds to the subtropics and tropics is a waste of time and seed. Stick to cooler climates (don't have to be alpine) with winter rainfall. In NSW I think Newcastle would be the most northern district. Places like Barrington tops, canberra and goulburn would be very suitable.

Also, please remember australia soils are highly acidic and low in phosphate. Mt Buffalo is granite, so should be very acidic. It is also very eroded, so certainly not a lot of nutrients.

We had out best growing results in roadbase material (crushed gravel). Concrete premix with some loam mixed in would probably also be good.

In terms of soil,crushed granite,pumice and loam seem to be the ticket,for me so far.

Does successfully raising a five year old phleb warrent the gifting of seeds :lol:

I think Some of the northern table lands may be a good area, at the very southern end of the granite belt there are some prime looking locations :)

Torsten,

Phlebs would not survive the winter outside where I live. What I meant was that a controlled, indoor setup can be located anywhere geographically, as long as suitable conditions are maintained. I'm sure they would do well outside even here in Canada for the summer months, though.

Steve

Torsten,

Phlebs would not survive the winter outside where I live. What I meant was that a controlled, indoor setup can be located anywhere geographically, as long as suitable conditions are maintained. I'm sure they would do well outside even here in Canada for the summer months, though.

Steve

From my perspective 'appropriate conditions' would mean an airconditioner :P

Our main problem is high summer humidity and high temperatures.

This is an alpine species and does quite well in an ara that gets -7degC for several nights in a row several times throughout winter. Not sure just how much frost it can take, but I would presume a lot. It's native range is a ski resort.

Torsten,

It routinely gets lower than -30C here in the winter, even if it were protected I don't think it would survive, though who knows for sure. Once established, it might make it -? Is it alright to freeze the seeds to store them? Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Steve

Don't freeze the seeds, you could risk breaking the cells if the seeds arn't completely dry (and probably unviable), refrigerate.

Where I am, we have snow sometimes, but usually very crisp clear nights down to -15 on some of the ranges and there is a plethora of acacias growing here, even coastal ones seem to thrive up here over 1000m and cold winters when their normal comditions rarely reach 0.

Thanks very much for that tip, glad I asked, and they will be staying in the refridgerator!

Steve

27 seeds left.

Edited by iNFiNiUM