The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coin

Bottle gourd & drumsticks

I'm planning on trying to grow these -- "lauki" / "bottle gourd" - (Lagenaria siceraria) - & "drumsticks" (Moringa oleifera) -- does anyone have any suggestions as to whether it would be better to buy seeds for a cultivated variety or would it be fine to try to germinate seeds from bought fruits?

the Lauki I see on the net has an hourglass bottle gourd shape (as pictured) -- but the one's I buy look like a 2 foot long gourd ... I'm not sure where to find good quality seed other than trying to germinate seed from the fruit I'm buying...

would seed from these be true to form?

Lauki:

gubean2.jpg

Drumstick:

dantthalonn.jpg

neither pic gives a sense of scale....will post some more pics later

I don't think I've even tasted drumstick (moringa)... but there are so few edible vegies/fruits that I dislike .. I'm sure I'll like it .. to me, it's all a matter of preparation .... they seem to be very nutritious anyhow (leaves and fruit)

anyone else enjoy these fruits?

can someone fill me in on how plants grown from seed will compare to the original fruit?

thanks ... :worship:

The seeds you get from the bought fruit are likely to be true to type but I don't think the seeds would be fully developed as the fruit is typically picked early as they become bitter the more the fruit developes.

Good luck!!!