The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Stretching lophs

G'day all

I've never cared for loph's before, but a few months ago I recieved my first 2. Since it is winter, I have had them in a 25degC room, close to a window. But it doesn't get alot of light and they seem to have stretched a bit. I can't really see this as being a problem, but just wanted to get an opinion from u more experienced loph carers. I've been keeping them really dry and only watering when they start to soften a tad.

Cheers all

naja

heh,...... make freaky stretchy lophops naja naja! :)

if you could give em more light. personally i do not see a problem is they stretch a little..... i think that the tissue is not as hardy if they are to bright green. maybe watering a little less is also a good idea under lower light conditions.

Maybe I should have mentioned that it is not epidermal stretch, but rather the cacti seems too have morphed from being a nice button shape, to being more columnar looking, but no real epidermal growth has occured.

I've seen this happen before

It usually happens when they're kept awake over winter but not given enough light.

I reckon either go all the way and keep them pumping or give them nothing and let them go dormant. The second option will give you more flowers in summer.

:lol: From the title I had imagined a small plastic box placed around the loph so when it reached the edges of the box it has nowhere to go except up, resulting in a 4 sided stretched loph :lol: Much like what they do to fruit like tomatos and watermelon when growing them in a box.

I bet nobody has tried growing a cactus in a constricted enclosure for aesthetics before.

I wonder what a square loph would be worth.

and than we flood ebay with cube cacti!

sounds like a plan, incredible brainstom fenris!!

Maybe I should have mentioned that it is not epidermal stretch, but rather the cacti seems too have morphed from being a nice button shape, to being more columnar looking, but no real epidermal growth has occured.

I had one etiolating away grafted onto a scop for a few years, it reached about 15cm while never getting rounder than about 4cm diamater. It was exceptionally healthy and pupped every year.

I cut it off at the graft, it set roots and once it was put into a sunnier spot it filled out nicely, now it pups and flowers.

I had one etiolating away grafted onto a scop for a few years, it reached about 15cm while never getting rounder than about 4cm diamater. It was exceptionally healthy and pupped every year.

I cut it off at the graft, it set roots and once it was put into a sunnier spot it filled out nicely, now it pups and flowers.

Pics?

I saw one like this recently at a friends house. Turns out she had been fertilising it with menstrual blood over winter :rolleyes:. Bloody hippies.

post-70-1157841483_thumb.jpgit happens with a lot of the grafted lophs, but aswell with the one's on ther own roots.

100_0393.JPG

100_0393.JPG

I saw one like this recently at a friends house. Turns out she had been fertilising it with menstrual blood over winter :rolleyes:. Bloody hippies.

ewww!