The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
John_Barleycorn

For the greenthumbs - jiffy pots

It doesn't look like this one has been done to death before ... I like jiffy pots for seed germination because of the convenience of transplanting. However, it occurs to me that certain species might not like the peat environment. Anyone with any rules of thumb to offer here? My immediate concern is khat, but that could extend to quite a number of other things in future.

Back on the khat question, I am also toying with the idea of adapting a yoghurt maker to maintain warmth. If I attempt to germinate inside the maker, with lid off, the temperature will be around 50C. Way too hot, or not?

Guest reville

50 C is way too hot

Most living things get seriously ill or die above 45 degrees where most of lifes' proteins denature.

Orgainisms that live in extreme envirnment eithr have different enzymes that are stable or have heatshock proteins that bind tempoarily and buffer the proteins ( this is an acute response and doesnt work long term)

The other option is physiological process that work to lower temepratures - like sweating.

Why not use a normal pot with heat pasteurised potting mix enclosed in a shopping bag tied at the top and sit it somewhere warm like on top aof the hot water heater.

Reply to your jiffy question. You can always use the cardboard egg cartons and fill them up with the right soil type for the catha seeds and then transplant it cardboard egg holder and all into the soil.

You do need to watch for them drying out as they tend to do that quicker than the jiffies (lack of peat!!) Also you can prick some holes into the bottom of the cups to aid roots to grow out of them.

Hope that is the info you were after?

E D

I find peat and jiffy too waterlogged for most applications.