The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nmethyl

Doing an 'Albert Hoffman'

OK most people are familiar with the accidental intoxication of Albert Hoffman and the purposed discovery of LSD. Well I've had something bizzare and similar happen, and am trying to retrace my steps!!!

I was outside sweeping the verandah, when I decided to come inside and use the PC. Having come straight in from the bright sunny outdoors I wasn't surprised at the fact I my vision was a bit off, seeing those blue spots when you go from light to dark.

Sitting at the PC I had to blink as I could see slight motion out of the corner of my eye, decided it was nothing. Went to write on a piece of paper but had difficulty as I couldn't focus on where the nib of the pen was due to circling kalidoscopic 'broken glass' effects in front of me.

At this point mentioned to my wife "something was up" she looked at me with an kind of wtf are you going on about look.

Anyway this started to peak at around 10mins where it was very full-on majpr visuals, closed eye ones were bright blue/white with definate sharp edge rotating prisms. This went for another 20moins then slowly dissapeared without any hint of it happening.

Now my question is what the hell did I come into contact with??????

All I did was eat lunch and sweep the verandah, maybe got bitten by a strange bug as it was squashed on my shirt (without my knowledge)

All I can say was it was extremely strange!

Turned out to be migraine Aura hahahaha! I get it but without the accompanying migraine

maybe you can answer me something.

i got migraines in my teens. i don't anymore, but i occasionally get the aura thing you're talking about.

does that mean i might get another migraine one day??

that would suck.

maybe you can answer me something.

i got migraines in my teens. i don't anymore, but i occasionally get the aura thing you're talking about.

that would suck.

I'm unsure but psilocybin cured my migraines when I was 16. My body kept saying 'more' until I had 7 large goldtops. I used to think that I'd be dead from a brain tumour by 20 due to the severity of my headaches. It was only recently that I learned about the research being done on psilocybin and cluster headaches.

Seems to be high proportion of migraine sufferers here, or ex migraine sufferers. I got them as a kid...with the exception of the blinding visuals, they were a terrible experience with alot of nausea and pain. I was prescribed these scary little green pills to take if I felt one coming on, and an ergotamine inhaler! Of course I had no idea of ergotamines provenence at the time lol

I just stopped getting them at around 11-12...they seemed to be associated with the start of puberty.

Nmethyl...a Claytons migraine? I envy you :D

that would suck.

Isn't LSD being trialled/used for treating migraines?

Many of the medications used for treating migraines are based around the LSD structure (not specifically the LSD structure, but they are related ergolines)

Not to be a complete and utter bring down , but I reckon I'd be more cautiously curious than pleased to have "migraine auras without the headaches". Certainly better than WITH the headaches, but I'd be thinking some kind of toxosis from something, brain damage, optic nerve tumour... most forms of life on earth seem to have been designed with as perfect vision as possible, within their range... I can't see that having disturbing visuals for half an hour is any kind of an advantage to be honest. Also sounds a bit like visuals some forms of epilepsy produce. anyways, once would be fun i guess but if it happened more than that, I'd get to a head doctor.

I've never had migraines, but my Mum gets them sometimes and a good mate gets them quite often ... I've noticed that if your Mum doesn't get em you don't seem prone to em either? Might be wrong, just an observation. My mate now has an arrangement at his work that if he gets one at work, he just goes straight home and makes it up later on the weekend or something... he does fiddly safety and strength testing etc, helps to be able to see straight. And he gets to bung the odd one on if theres something he'd rather be doing haha.

How long since the verandah was swept? Old place or new place, and what kind of pest treatments do you get or have been done there ? Some old school poisons were based on various Indole thingamejigs, including one they used somewhere, soaked onto bread to try and kill plague proportion pigeons, and most of em ended up flapping around tripping balls for a while first. If you've had work done in your wall cavities, new insulation put in the roofspace, etc, mighta stirred some up. Or if its a new rental etc you might be soaking up the last of the chlorpyrifos they tend to drown underspaces etc with... that shit is nasty and not unknown for causing visual disturbances etc. The really dodgy thing about it is that , against all instant logic, the readings in the living area taken at regular intervals for say three months, after treatment under or around the house, actually get higher and higher after day one , peaking after a couple months depending on weather. Bad shit.

If you drive, might be worth looking into whether you are actually safe to do so etc... last thing you or the rest of us need is a nod off or a space out at behind the wheel... Mr.Hoffman from memory stuck to pushbikes.

Hope it all works out! The brain is a funny thing, I know mine keeps me in stitches.

VM

i dont' remember anyone saying they enjoyed the migraine aura but you are right vert, it's never a good thing. i don't enjoy it in the slightest, especially with the threat of an unbearable headache for the next half day. it tends to be very close your focus so it screws up your ability to see.

i don't necessarily think it's permanent damage, otherwise wouldn't it be more frequent/constant? i think it's a sign that conditions in your brain are heading towards migraine conditions.

also, my mother had migraines.

... more tripping = less chance of migraines. this pleases me.