The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
_e_

Inexperienced cultivator needs some tips!

I will soon be spending some time in the netherland and wish to get some growing in whilst there, for the sake of being able to have experienced it legally....

Currently im working on two projects, one is outdoor bedding of azurescens, and the other is bulk philosophers stone.

I have these two products to work with:

philosophers stone

azurescens

Can anyone give me some info on:

1- ´how to 'bulk out' the philosophers stone grow kit

2- what substrate is best to use to outdoor bed the azurescens, and what conditions are necessary to be successfull.

As im only going to be in holland for about 4 or 5 months, id like to make the most of my time there, and if i dont act soon it will be too late.. So im sorry for being slack, but some advice would be muchly appreciated as ive never had anye xperience growing any mushrooms other then pre innoculated grow boxes.

cheers

e

Guenos Deus E :) I do remember trawling throught the Shroomery some time ago and came across some good teks/info on outdoor azurescen Beds. I will try n find the threads again and post here for you.

Azure bed Pictorial This might help out a bit E. Pritty simple tek including some funky pics of making a bed threw to some mad Rhizomorphic action.

Climate

The most important requirement for a successful outdoor cultivation is that you live in the correct climate. The Autumns should be cold and moist to enable fruiting, the summers preferably not too dry.

Outdoor cultivation of the wood lovers is possible in the plant hardiness zones 6, 7 and 8.

The range can likely be extended also to zone 5, but the beds will need to be protected by applying a layer of fresh wood chips or a thicker layer of straw to survive the low temperatures in winter.

hzefull.gifhzeleg.gif

Cultivation procedure

The cultivation consists of the following 3 steps:

1. Germination of spores on agar -> Transfer of colonized agar to grains OR

Direct inoculation with spores using a spore syringe on either a PF cake or grains

2. Transfer of the colonized grain or pf cake to pasteurized or sterilized soaked wood chips. Particularly suitable are smoke chips, beech or alder, or chips used for animal bedding.

(It is possible to skip this step and instead inoculate the outdoor beds directly with grain spawn . The drawback of this is that rodents and birds sometime disturb or destroy the outdoor beds prepared in this manner by picking out the colonized grains.)

3. The colonized wood chips are used to inoculate an outdoor wood chips bed located in a shady spot in spring. Best are fresh wood chips from deciduous trees(alder, beech, poplar, but any other deciduous wood will work) also spruce and Douglas fir. Dried, soaked wood chips also work. The bed is kept moist throughout the summer, and in September - December when the weather is rainy and the temperatures drop to around 5°C one or several fruiting occurs, dependant on the weather conditions.

Time line for the cultivation of woodlovers

January, February:

Grain spawn or PF cakes preparation.

February, March:

Transfer of the colonized spawn to sterilized or pasteurized wood chips.

March, April, May (as soon the snow melts):

Transfer of the colonized wood chips to outdoor wood chips beds.

October, November, December

Fruiting.

Edited by Young Tripper