The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

So wats my problem?? FAE or lack of light????

th_23333_DSC03478_122_473lo.JPG

I've adjusted FAE so I'm guessing lack of light? ANybody else care to comment?

Elm(I think) on left, king On right

Hi Naja, :)

if it was me I would increase FAE exchange and let them get some more light. most of my indoor grows are near a window with the light diffused through the lid of the terrarium. I think light would help those caps develop.

How do you allow air exchange??

Jim

not enough light

and def not enough air echange!

its not too late though

esp that right hand one

they dont need a fruiting chamber!

rip them out straight way

if they are hideoulsy malformed then pull them off and eat anyway

they do particularly well when shallow buried in the garden as they are a naturally terresrial shrooms

good luck

they are very good eating when properly formed

normally you only have to secure the susbtarte from drying till fruiting commences. excpet under very dry conditions the shrooms draw all water neede from the substarte

this is relevant whe ethe substarte is large as in yours

heres a couple bags i make for sale at work

post-11-1155993497_thumb.jpg

post-11-1155993401_thumb.jpg

and heres one of the fellas i work with proudly showing his handiwork. His firts bag and he was pretty stoked. Its H ulmarius - elm oyster

we are also messing with blue oysters and eryngii atm. but will be dropping eryngii shorty as it warms up and replacing with gold oysters and other species. in summer well do pinks too

im curious if we can do multiple species in one bag ( layers)

post-11-1155993258_thumb.jpg

makiing gourmet mushroom bags, pot hangers , growing native tubestock and cacti and succulents is a local project i coordinate for people with disabilities. just starting out but things are moving well along as we have a few orders in laready for all items

june_06_070.jpg

june_06_109.jpg

june_06_114.jpg

june_06_070.jpg

june_06_109.jpg

june_06_114.jpg

Edited by Rev

yeah id reckon its probably air exchange - i remember leaving mushrooms without any air echange and they looked quite similar.

Elongation like that is usually from high CO2 levels yeah?

they do particularly well when shallow buried in the garden as they are a naturally terresrial shrooms

Had a backlog of colonised and pinning straw(lucerne,sugercane and an Amgrow mixed bag)/grain logs.

Buried 4, and had first ones pop up within about 3-4 days.

I buried each log, leaving the top sit about 5cm above ground, covered the exposed top with a mound of soil/compost, then covered the soil layer with bunches of Ehrharta erecta (Panic Veldgrass) ripped out from the surrounding patch. Watered with about 2L H20 to hydrate and settle the earth/grass, then received about 30mm rainfall over a few days.

Here's the first few, they are incredibly thick and rigid. Photo taken yesterday, will update if the bloody slugs don't eat them.

I'm considering doing the majority of next years fruiting in outdoor beds with small gutters surrounding (PE sheeting with depressions) the patch filled with some home brew to catch snails/slugs.

gallery_239_4_128069.jpg

It's all good now, thanks for the advice. I just took the lid off and they grew sweet this flush, but I ate them all before I took any pics :drool: , sorry. But thanks heaps FF(rev) and gerbil for these cultures.

In an independant taste test, the elms were voted best of the two and also proved easier to grow. I'm gonna keep both cultures going,but I think the elm takes first place.

These are the first shrooms of any kind apart from field, button and blue's that I've eaten. I don't like any of the previous for they taste like crap(IMO), but these are awesome!! Taste a bit like prawn and they hold their texture great, texture also very similar to prawn.(maybe the elms could be called "vegetarian prawn's) Because the normal reaction in the past has been gag reflex, the texture is taking sum getting over by themselve, but they go awesome on a pizza!

Naja

Was away this week and came back to find them nice and flared...they needed a good water

Good to hear you've found a species you enjoy naja! :)

gallery_239_4_92452.jpg

with the Eryngiis and elms i think very high heat, no added moisture and just a little oil is good

fry em hard. hear them sizzling and popping esp the erytngii

as the soften and go golden at the edges you may want to drop a small nob of butter and sprinkle fresh parsley just before serving

Fuck me

far too good to articulate fairly

the eryngii to me is like the best calamari ive ever eaten

and elms are like really good chicken, but better

if you dont cook them this way they are good but nowhere near what they can be (elms anyway..no reyngii has ever lasted long enough to know, but i do hear they are popular in northern italian cuisine with poultry and pork)

if you are vegetarian or vegan and you arent eating these you are cehating yourself out of a guilt free culinary delight

lucky for you all they are becoming more available!

i bought a pack for $3.99 (100g) from Yuens(?) asian supermarket in fortitude valley last week :D :D :D)

I'm a carnivor, but it gives a legal evenue to practice mycology. I'm not overly fussed with them, but certainly like additions to my meals. I enjoy growing them to give away to family and friends. I can even give them kits to grow their own. :) No hiding from family members, u can finally show off ur skills. A few of my mates are mushie fanatics. Collecting feild shrooms religiously every year. I don't like these at all. Way too strong a flavour. I just saw for the first time the other day, normal indian oysters for sale. But for sum of my friends who have never tried these newer varieties to our palates. Then it is a joy to cook and present them with new, exciting ingredients and even more satisfying when u can say u grew them urself. I love cooking. My shitty knives are global, my good ones are wusthof, if that gives u an idea of how serious I take my cooking.

Also, all the spent kits and scrap shrooms cut off are gonna be used to innoculate suitable areas to hopefully naturalize them. So one day I can just pick them from the wild, instead of having to work at it.

Which wood would they prefer? Jarrah, blackbutt, banksia, agonis or marri? There's plenty o rotten logs arond the place to innoculate. Also Pinus forests near by.

Cheers

Naja

Edited by naja naja

my bet is stumps and buried logs of agonis and banksia

both can alos be used to grow shiitake. Jarrah sawdust also support shiitake well enough so might as well try a log or fresh stump.

In fact it could be used to make penciled jarrah! grow shiitake in them then dry and mill it!

maybe $$$?

the native fistulina hepatica already makes a fine effect on timber. its a common wound parasite

"A fungus, Fistulina hepatica , is reported to cause dark brown radial flecks on end-grain and boat-shaped flecks on flat sawn surfaces. The markings are reported to enhance the appearance of the timber."

and

some Eryngii strains also may parasitize(?) umbelliferae incl carrots

i dot even know if parasite is the correct term as it doesnt kill or hardm the plant its feeding off dead roots

i dont know any good edibles that like pine logs unfortunately, but there are several mycorrhizals

Edited by Rev