The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

Smokable Thujone

Guest electro

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 October 2002).]

My elf has done a butane extraction on Artemnisea aborocens x absithium (About 5g dried).

He then foolishly tried to dissolve the light oil into a shot of vodka. Not everything dissolved. A light green thick substance clung to the glas and would not budge.

The resulting mix is very strong, with a few drops on the tongue enough to produce profound relaxation.

Guest electro

You will be extracting quite a lot of waxes and sterols with butane. It should boil with a vapouriser and there is no reason it would not be effective.

I think 1 ml would be too high a starting dose. You should always start low and work your way up. I forget how much the overdose case was but it was only a few millilitres.

Guest electro

/

"(2 drops were all that were produced from 1g fresh material)"

Oh, thats all? rolleyes.gif

Sounds like about a 9% yield from FRESH material! (assuming 1drop=0.05ml and product density about 0.9) That seems to be a pretty good yield, epecially for such a small scale extraction.

But seriously, butane extraction seems a little dangerous and impractical if you plan to scale up the quantity. Have you thought about extracting with 95% alcohol or 91%+ isopropanol, filtering, and then adding about three or four times its volume of 'round about 2% aqueous salt solution to seperate the oil?

The product would be less pure, and the yield of pure thujone probably would not increase much, but it would be cheaper, and you'd be FAR less likely to blow the roof of your house across town.

Just a thought.

Guest electro

"alcohol... explosive when you are evapourating it"

True, but the procedure I just gave does not involve evaporating it smile.gif That way the product is purer (water soluble stuff not in product) and the process is VASTLY safer.