The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

Cyclists

How amusing. Cycling is well known as a form of transportation with minor environmental impact and many benefits. However an analysis by Karl Ulrich from the Uni of Pennsylvania has shown that due to increases in longevity resulting from the physical excercise associated with cycling, cyclists actually consume more energy during their lifetime than non cyclists.

:lol:

While this is a pretty complex issue and this one paper doesn't really do it justice, it will certainly provide me with some thought the next time I jump on my bike... which will be right now :).

Article PDF here:

http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/~ulrich/docu...nviro-jul06.pdf

Edited by creach

Hahaha there's just no winning :) damned if you do and damned if you don't.

However an analysis by Karl Ulrich from the Uni of Pennsylvania has shown that due to increases in longevity resulting from the physical excercise associated with cycling, cyclists actually consume more energy during their lifetime than non cyclists.

All the extra energy that a cyclist consumes comes from completely renewable sources. ( food )

So no contradiction cycling is good for the planet.

All the extra energy that a cyclist consumes comes from completely renewable sources. ( food )

While the article does reference a paper that discusses the environmental costs of extra food consumed by cyclists, that's not the point here.

This paper is talking about the energy consumed in day to day life (ie not directly connected to cycling). The author is say that because cyclists are fitter on average than non-cyclists, they live longer, and therefore consume more energy overy their lifetime.

EDIT: I was going to fix up the spelling in that last sentence but I'll leave it for humour value...

Edited by creach

I think what it means is that on a global scale, the extra lifespan of the cyclist, due to the health benefit of cycling, has a greater total energy cost on the planet, based on all the extra years of energy consuymption. Electricity etc that is NOT from renewable sources.

So It is ironic that a population full of car drivers is healthier on the planet... in a way.

If we're talking true cost economics and all that, I suppose we need to also take into account every other pro/con of cyucling that could somehow influence the uh, economy / energy consumption whatever... I don't really see what a cycling lifestyle adds to the whole though. I mean you're healthy but you're greedy and want to live longer than the rest of us and use a greater proportiion of energy than the rest of us..

Where's the energy contribution?

I think if one wishes to partake in any kind of Healthy lifestyle, any form of physical excerscise should be harnessed for its' power, via treadmill or cycles with generators attatched, to compensate for their extra share of energy consumption.

But really though this study is funny. I mean surely, say everybody stopped driving a car. and yes lived longer. Would the total extra cost in energy consumption (economical/environemental) outweigh the savings from no more polluting cars? I think not. considering that large centralised power sources like electric plants are sure to be much more efficient than a multitude of small combustion engines. Furthermore if more energy is sourced from renewable sources, than this extra consumption of green energy is much better than consumption of fuel for the car, and in environmental terms much cheaper on the enviroment... but then green energy costs more on yer pocket though... I love how our govt. really tries to promote green energy and make it easily available and really pushes this whole thing foward... *cough* *chirp* *tumbleweeds*

Having said that, fuck riding a bike. Would take way too long to get anywhere. It seems in Australia cars really are a necessity... what else is a necessity are those cool Hydrogen generating algae farm things --> Hydrogen fuel cells for cars n whatnot.. --> piece of piss gutless electric car. (hopefully not that weak)

While we're dreaming about a future that is.. inhabitable... Fusion... ah what a marvelous thing. We're like almost there yeah?

Fuck what a long rant.. back to the report.. he he how ironic.

Would take way too long to get anywhere.

you would really be suprised

even with current paucity of efficient cycle ways

when you ride you get fitter and so faster and also have more energy not less

so are less lsuggish and wasting of time

your perception of time changes too

a bike is high on my list. since i stopped riding 4 years ago its been nothing but bad for my physical, mental and financial health.

its 25km to work with few large hills. we'll see

ill at least be able to explore the countryside

BTW bike speed is he perfect speed to go prospecting for shrooms or also amongst the urban jungle

only because i rode bikes did i find many khat trees in perth an also cacti and other plants

the primary problem i find with bikes is for Haulage

which admittedly is almost the only reason i drive anywhere - to go bring bulky shit back here

i cannot forsee me dragging bales of hay and compost behind a bicycle

the primary problem i find with bikes is for Haulage

which admittedly is almost the only reason i drive anywhere - to go bring bulky shit back here

i cannot forsee me dragging bales of hay and compost behind a bicycle

Yeah that is the problem

or when it's cold and rainy and you just have to go out for some errand, or it's the end of a long day at work, and you really don't feel like riding

but I recently witnessed SAB member Spaced cranking along with his trailer hauling home brew bottles in Geraldton

If anyone can do it he can :).

So more fitter people and less couch potatoes.

you probably live a fuller life too if you are fitter. more action packed (experiences) in your lifetime! able to bounce back easier after injury or illness etc etc.

evolution continues even today.................!

Would take way too long to get anywhere.

I routinely ride 100 km in under 4 hours ( not including the lunch break )

If we're talking true cost economics and all that, I suppose we need to also take into account every other pro/con of cyucling that could somehow influence the uh, economy / energy consumption whatever... I don't really see what a cycling lifestyle adds to the whole though. I mean you're healthy but you're greedy and want to live longer than the rest of us and use a greater proportiion of energy than the rest of us..

Where's the energy contribution?

The energy contribution is diverse.

Imagine how much energy is used in running hospitals. Sure we would still need them but we would need less beds per population.

The energy costs associated with production of cars has to be much larger then producing a bike. Not to mention how quickly cars seem to deteriorate where as bikes last longer

I haven't read the article but it seems that it is implied that high energy use is a bad thing.

Are we going to cut down the forrest which use up huge amounts of energy?

off course not.

So if I only rode I would only use extra food.

Say I live to be a hundred compared with two people who live to 50

The both have to get educated and buy houses and get all the comsumer goods that are required today.

So getting to age 35 or so they have used up twice as much as me.

Sure they only go on for another 15 years or so whereas I go on for 65.

But in that 65 I am mainly using completely renewable sources of energy ( food )

I've always wondered how healthy it is for the riders in le tour de france, with all the fumes from the cars and motorbikes? But its been that way for a while so no one has any problem with it?

I only ever watch it for the scenery. If I ride I'd hate to be breathing in fumes. :puke:

rev,

u just need a good bike trailor...

U can get them or build them big enough to fit hay bails in, although their not so much fun when u have to ride Up hills..

theres ingenious folks round here with 2 stroke motors on their bicycles...

i often see them go past my huse on the way home from shopping at the co-op

put put put...

im ignorant

tell me

can you possibly run a combustion engine on home made ethanol?

ie double distilled etoh?

of all i can think of its the only grass roots energy source i know

all other biofuels arent liquid or take industrial know how to make.

Ramon

im interested in what u are up to in ur life

many things u have said recently and when i saw you sparked my interest. i hope we can meet in person again soon

ive got an electric bike does 80km on a battery and goes at about 30km/h+ when i pedal and goes at 25km/h on straight battery. I was gonna go combustion but they are so loud, for me riding is a time to escape and think, cant do that on a combustion one lol. I got a motorised bike because after a long day of pracs it can be hard to ride home, just makes it easier, also on cold mornings before sunrise.