The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pala

Acacia obtusifolia questions

I've just come into some seeds.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to germinate A.obtusifolia?

I live in inner Melbourne.

I saw this post which seemed to say something about using a humidity chamber. Is this necessary or advisable?

Also from this site:

The first step is the removal of the floaters (Ed. seed that floats when placed in a container of water - this seed is probably not viable). I then use a fine three-cornered saw sharpening file to abrade the seed coat opposite the embryo. The seed is soaked in cold water for 24 hours. All seeds in this batch swelled.

Swollen seeds are then placed on moist cotton make-up removing pads ('Dove' brand, presumed sterile), not covered and placed in an air tight compartmentalised lidded plastic box (each section containing one seed type only). These boxes are then placed under a black plastic container excluding light completely. Seeds are inspected daily for germination.

Germination for me is when the radical shows through the seed coat. Upon germination, I immediately (same day) transfer them into square 4 x 4 x 6.5 mm black plastic pots in a styrofoam tray using my own brew of potting mix.

Is this all-right? Any other advice from personal experience?

Is there a special potting mix I should use?

All help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by Pala

You could do that, but all I did was (general Acacia germination procedure):

1) Drop the seeds in boiled water and let cool.

2) Pick out the swollen seeds and reprocess the rest with another go in boiling water. (one can also knick the outer coating with a sharp blade or scratch the coating with a file/sand paper. The outer coating needs to be made water permeable)

Sow seeds in well draining media (perlite/native soil mix ~1:1) and keep moist and warm. (i.e. place a glass lid on the pots/tray and leave in the sun)

Seeds should germinate in a coupla weeks to a few months.

Those packets of 'smoke aided seed raising for natives' can also be used in the boiling water, to let the active ingredient soak into the seed.

Most Acacias are pioneer plants and should germinate quite readily like a weed. Neglect is probably a better approach that babying them.

Good luck

1) Drop the seeds in boiled water and let cool.

By that, dyou mean that its find to add the seeds to the water right after boiling? Should I wait for the water to cool a bit first?

Thanks. Seems much more straight-forward.

Pretty much as: poor boiling water into a mug with the seeds already in there. That simple :lol:

You must remember that their strategy is to lie dormant in the soil till a bushfire rages over them. This heats up the waxy outer coat of the seed and allows the seed to take up rainwater after the fire has gone. Making full use of the rich mineral soil and lack of cover. Pioneering the newly cleared area. Other plants do this as well, pea family, Indigoferas, Kennedias etc...

If you have little seed then just try and knick the outer coating till it absorbs water and swells. but they are suprisingly hardy against heat!!!

hi pala,

i had success by:

put seeds in a mug, pour boiling water over them and leave over night (exactly as described above). the process was repeated for those seeds that did not swell.

sowed seeds in normal seedraising mix, but native potting mix (ie low P) can also be used.

keep soil moist and wait.

seeds were sown in summer, so maybe heat is required if you want to try them now in winter? dunno..

but i got probably 80%+ germination.

seedlings are very slow to grow at first, but once planted into the ground (at about 10cm high) they take off like a rocket.

enjoy! :lol:

following a similiar technique to those mentioned above and using a heat mat i got %85 plus... Just make sure the germ tray has as deep soil as possible, as root development early on is crucial to survival later on.

Yeah what E said.

And it is good to use those "forestry tubes", the long square little pots. I have found that they like to shoot a tap root straight down, and they power along if they get this early root system devolped quick.

A heat pad does work wonders, my little confusas were doin nothing for about 2 or 3 weeks, then after 3 days on the heat pad they popped.

Thanks guys, extreeemly helpful. :lol:

Someone recently told me that I shouldn't plant until september. Shouldn't I?

Also: If I were to wait that long, would the seeds still be viable?

Winter sown seeds seem to grow better thru the first summer, outdoor under 50% full sun 50% light shade, in the above mentioned "tubes".

Spring/early summer sown plants tend to not have as mature root system, therefor they cant cope as well with the massive heat fluctations during late summer(unless in the ground).They will be OK but not as strong as the winter sown.

When It cones around to next years plant-out, I would recomend june/july. A bit of seasol helps things along and prevents root shock too... :lol:

Good luck,

Bd.