The Corroboree
Alice Dee Designs

Searching for Roseii

Hello everybody,

Well... as you can see by the title I'm searching for good ROSEII (number 1 + 2) as a huge centre piece for my garden.... we are moving into our new house very soon and I'm hoping to have everything ready by the time we do...

PLEASE HELP...!!!

I currently have only 2 small caps and so far only one has thrown a couple of pups, I'm looking for much more of this awesome plant... (just too beautiful)

Also I do have alot of straight bridge and heaps of (supa)pedros lying around too 99% go into the ground or pots but will ship foot lenghts for the right price,

post-1608-1152437564_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to populate the planet with cacti...

Hope someone can help with my Roseii quest...

Joel

there are a few species with the rosei epithet. which are you talking about?

Ahh, if only the Oz Outback was populated with cacti as Mexico is, I could easily make the journey from Brissy to Perth. :):puke::)

I've only ever come across T. roseii once at a good nursery. Never seen it before or since. I did buy it though and she's growing strong. I haven't looked for any info on roseii. So all i know about it is what the label said "grows to 2m high with white flowers, new branches form at base"

But she isn't big enough to carve up.... hope you find some

post-850-1152671499_thumb.jpg

I'd still like to know what this thread is about. There is no T.rosei. There is also no T.roseii. There is a Thelocactus roseana, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

The name you are asking for does not exist in the cactus family and certainly not within the Trichocereus. If you at least confirm the genus we might be able to take this further. There is no point looking for something that doesn't exist.

Hi Alice Dee Designs,

trichocereus rosei is a very old pseudonym for Trichocereus Peruvianus and it isn´t up to date anymore. I´m a little bit confused as it isn´t clear if you are looking for this species or if you want to sell it; or both. bye EG

trichocereus rosei is a very old pseudonym for Trichocereus Peruvianus and it isn´t up to date anymore.

It's not in Backeberg 1966, Britton & Rose 1963, or Borg 1937, so if it was never published then it doesn't exist. And it's obviously not just an old name as Borg goes back to 1937. And anyway these are usually listed in the newer publications in the synonym register.

Hi Torsten,

i don´t know if it ever has been an official pseudonym but i doubt this as i think this name came up after the two britton books. I don´t know the Book of Borg but i guess Britton & Rose would have encluded this name if it was known at that time. I don´t know the source anymore but i think i once read the name on Resslers Columnar Cacti Web Page. But If it was that page, the picture showing a standard peruvianus has been removed meanwhile, as i couldn´t find it there. The Name surely is pure nonsense and not worth mentioning. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

Hi guys, I'm just looking, I just loved the plant I saw/have and want some more...

Sorry, Torsten and Evil Genius, I didn't mean to start a fight or anything...

I was given a piece of this by a cacti farmer in central victoria and was told that his father had bought it back for a trip overseas in the early 40's... He said that that it may have been a peruvian long spine cross of some sort but that Rosei was it's real name...

Now I'm not saying in any way that he's right about the name, that's just what he told me when I got it...

All I remember of this thing was that it was beautiful, it was massive, seven ribs and at least 8 or 9 inches across, but only about 5 foot tall

and from a distance it was that light in colour that it almost looked white, not that common blue white but white...

It's dark here now but at first light, I'll go out and take a photo of the cutting and pup I have and with any luck you can let me know once and for all... what it is...???

Edited by Alice Dee Designs

Sorry, Torsten and Evil Genius, I didn't mean to start a fight or anything...

lol. did i miss something ? :)

Pics are always welcome. They might probably show some peruvianus or pachanoi. bye EG

LOL, we weren't fighting. I believe we were actually agreeing.

The point is that if you are looking for a plant then there is little use in using a name that doesn't exist as it will be impossible to track down seeds/cuttings if no one else applies the name. So in order to help you we needed to find out what it is.

Imagine in 20 years someone trying to track down "Trichocereus lance", not knowing that this was an arbitrary name given to one plant. If however people know that this is simply a short spined pachanoi then it is much easier to try and find possible candidates.

So, we are now looking for a white peruvianus. Is the white a frosting? If so, what is the colour underneath (ie more greenish or more blueish)?

did a bit of a search and it seems T.rosei is a purely australian invention. Given the general australian incompetence with botanical names I would think it maybe originated with someone reading 'Rose' the author epithet as a species epithet. So, which Trichs did Rose name?

There must be some specimens still bearing this name in some records somewhere that can be used to determine what phenotype the name was applied to.

there's a pic of one in Trout's San Pedro, but again it is an australian photo.

I would not be surprised if there is no record of this name at all, anywhere, and that it was just spontaneously generated as an error by some australian collector.

I only know what ive been told about roseii and that was 2% mescaline +

Hey Guys,

I've found a picture of what they are calling Rosei number 1 in Trout's new book, he says it AKA long spine peruivian...

So I'm guessing that's what it is...

Here's the photo's for you to see if you can work it out...post-1608-1152758258_thumb.jpgpost-1608-1152758360_thumb.jpgpost-1608-1152758456_thumb.jpgpost-1608-1152758594_thumb.jpgpost-1608-1152758853_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758258_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758360_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758456_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758594_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758853_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758258_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758360_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758456_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758594_thumb.jpg

post-1608-1152758853_thumb.jpg

Call me crazy, but that looks like a pretty standard kk242 to me.

I wont call you crazy but if that is what it is, so be it...

this is the only one I have ever seen that was the size this one was, like I said it was only 5 feet tall, only 2 arms but both at least 8-9 inches across and very very light in color, the photos of the cuttings really don't do it any justice... it was beautiful...

it was grown in open ground so I can't explain why it was so short and fat...

BUT AWESOME NONE THE LESS...

P.S... Torsten, thank you for the research...!!

Edited by Alice Dee Designs

Looks like a peruvianus type, hard to tell with the size and all, it seems a bit distinct from the kk242 types I am familiar with.

your rosei look VERY closley allied to Peruvianus/macro from matucana

both my matucana 'pachanoi' and the IcarosDNA seedligs look almost identical to this plant

doesnt look like the kk242 of commerce to me- no heavy central spine, and too many spines in general

but technically KK's 242 was said to be from near matucana so they SHOULD look like these

Edited by Rev

So does this mean that my T. roseii is not actually T. roseii at all? but a pachanoi or Peruvianus.

you learn something new every day.