The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cptn Insane'O

Keeping platypus as pets??

The quendas (eastern barred bandicoots) were also pretty cool.

Interesting

we use the term 'quenda' to describe a local species of potorooid marsupial also... I thought it was a local nyungah name for the species but perhaps it originated elsewhere?

Anyhoo, what do you think is the scariest noise in the bush?

a gun shot

Edited by MOSES

scariest noise in the bush wandjina??

Haven't heard it myself, but the barking owl is supposed to send you running for your life hahaha

have had it described to me as a woman being murdered with incredible intensity. Prety funny stories of families camping in the bush not knowing what's going on.

Naja, thanks for the goshawk pic!! cute little fella, is that an eastern rosella underfoot?

Have been hearing/seeing alot lately about burmese python. I adore large snakes as well, i like the thought of if people do keep them as pets, both parties don't really own each other, like alot of people consider a pet as 'theirs', I suppose with such large animals the question of control can't be set.

I don't know about large snakes as pets, I'd imagine the only thoughtfull way if you did have to keep such monsters would be acres of fenced off land, both on ground, sides and roof...lol would be interesting going in to visit them, not knowing where it is, becoming the hunted :wink: good thing nature keeps us on our toes.

ahh megafauna is fascinating stuff, would have loved to have witnessed the Eagles in NZ said to be able to carry off humans, I suppose Australia would have been filled with those birds as well.

Interesting re 'qenda' Creach..I'm not sure where i picked up the name, because according to this, the quenda is a WA subspecies of the southern brown bandicoot.:

The Southern Brown Bandicoot is widely distributed along the fringe of southern and eastern Australia and in Tasmania, though has declined in from some areas of Western Australia, South Australia, New South Wales and Victoria. The Western Australian subspecies, the Quenda, formerly occurred throughout the high rainfall areas of the southwest, south coast and southern wheatbelt region, however this distribution has declined rapidly since the 1960s. The species persists in the southwest corner of Western Australia, including the Swan Coastal Plain, where it has benefited from broadscale fox control. (http://www.australianwildlife.org/wildlifeprofiles.asp?WID=598)

To be perfectly honest, i was never 100% sure the bandicoots that lived near us were barred...they turned up at night around the fire, and I don't recall a night where my consciouness wasn't in someway altered. My memories are a little fuzzy .

I've googled eastern barred bandicoots...and apprantly they only survive in VIC and Tassie.

I wonder what kind of bandicoot they were? Based on known range and image in my head, the bandicoots we had looked like southern brown, even pig footed... because the barring was not as distinct as on the eastern barred, which shouldn't be in those parts anyhoo, also I think the bars were more numerous, thinner and closer together, and not as much colour contrast with other fur...but we were in a relatievely isolated area, the land was on the edge of remnant rainforest, and as i said, not sure how relaibl;e my minds eye is for the past...would be cool if they were an unidentified/unknown breeding population or subspecies though

Edited by wandjina

What a great read! thanks guys, love animal stories.

Sooty Owls, make the most distubing noises I have ever heard. Sounded like a coven of witches perfoming a ceramony. Not just the 1 noise like most owls, but they have a range of calls. All freaky and have scared many of my mates at night.

Edited by naja naja

Sooty Owls, make the most distubing noises I have ever heard.

Mocking bird for me.

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060...ho_animals.html

n the first field survey of the Rubeho Mountains in Tanzania, scientists have documented more than 160 animal species.

Among the mix were a new species of frog, several bush babies, and 11 species found only in the Rubeho region.

------------------------------------The sad thing about economic is that its worthless if common and becomes valuable the more rare it gets.

So the Japanese push for whaling for scientific study.

Worth a million a whale as a unusual rare raw sea food in Japan.

They can pay 50,000$ for a 3/4 ton tuna which for sushi can go along way if one has taste for raw fish , chile and horsreradish and vinegared rice wraped in dried seaweed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Australian that don't like the native bird eating crops should just reminder If allowed to be exported the pest soon be rare.

But I thinks if one has a pest bird just view as in the future therre won't be very many birds only a few species.