The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ramon

Does happiness suit you?

You would think that it would be a no brainer, it is better to be happy.

I have always assumed this is right and have worked towards accomplishing this ( mainly within a Buddhist framework )

However I find that I am more energetic, creative , philosophical and probably all round a better person when I am not happy.

My experience of the world is obviously not as enjoyable but if you subtract my experience it seems that it is better for me to be unhappy. I grow at a faster rate when I am unhappy then if I am happy.

This seems perverse to me and wonder what other people think about this subject.

Is it possible to be happy all the time?

Is it possible to be happy all the time?

Maybe I should have chosen " being content " instead of happiness.

I do believe that it is possible to be content all the time ( I am not suggesting I am) however when expressed this way it does not seem as perverse as contentment seems to suggest no drive to change the status quo

I think that people that are steadfast in the practice of krishna consciousness are content 99,9% of the time.

Hmm,... I think buddhists are on the same track as people that practice Krishna consciousness. At least to me these are the two more mainstream practices that are most inclined to achieving a certain mental state that I am aware of.

In my point of view it would be impossible to be content all of the time, perhaps maybe like those guru's who spend years meditating on meaning an such who have trained there energy bodies to understand everything about there teachings and incorporated it into there though patterns an such could be content all of the time, but for us people who cannot manipulate our energy bodies like such others the best we can hope for is training our minds to get there i suppose.

I cant say im happy all the time and am not always content but then isnt happiness a state of mind? It seems to me that the happiest people are usually the most niave or least informed, I mean if we where happy all the time in this world then wouldnt we be lieing to each other and especially ourselves? given that the real world is'nt exactly the nicest or fairest place.

maybe when you are mildly challneged you are in fact happy

and what you call happiness is in fact boredom

In my final years of highschool I had a great time and thoroughly felt happy, however I used to paint these really dark forboding pictures with often depressive moribund themes. During University I went through an opposite disillusioned stage and at that time I remember painting lots of happy paintings with utopian themes. I was trying to get the balance back to the median. Happiness is a path to wisdom and wisdom is a path to happiness. Its all about learning to love the middle ground.

I have learnt from the past that I have some unconscious desire to self-destruct, not looking after myself and finding some sort of liberation. The consequences have been taxing on my health and stamina despite the fact that I have made my lifestyle a bit more healthy. Yet I am starting to learn what I need to do in order to get into and keep myself into a positive framework and happier way of life.

The problem that I have encountered is that I know that I learn more about myself, and am generally more devoted to things when in these darker periods. Also I feel these periods come with increased introspection and generally leads to a better alternative, so perhaps it's part of the whole needing to get worse in order to get better - it happened with heavy weed smoking amongst many other things and led to me taking a break and controling my intake again.

So the question, does happiness suit me???

Well it's what I desire and want to work towards, but it's a work in progress and I learn best from my mistakes.

I heard this today: "The great way is not difficult for those who have no preferences". Just letting go, its hard to do (for me) but a key to happiness.

Another phrase I like is 'true happiness has no reason'. It just happens no matter what your circumstance. You can't buy it nor control it. Meditation to me is just being aware of mental states, emotions, arising and passing away. Happiness doesn't last.

As far as happiness suiting me I would say of course! The problems come when others at work or people around you start to expect it from you. In this way being happy becomes a burden. Like those breakfast show hosts on tv for example.

Our whole society is carrying this burden and in turn driving everyone nuts. :P The paradox is that in pursuing pleasure you get your share of pain...

I interpret content to mean a sort of brave world hedonistic state. But if youre trying to achieve a buddhist state of contentment, it doesnt seem to fit with reduced creativity, philosophy. Meditating gives you a calm mind, but opens you to insight and truth.

It sounds as tho you are more content with being "uncontent" ie when you are energetic, creative , philosophical and probably all round a better person, but unhappy.

Perhaps you are creating this unhappiness in your life as a validation for you innate creativity and energy?

By happiness do you mean, contentment + creativity and energy?

Theres short term happiness and long term happiness. As a buddhist you strive to take the middle path, a balance between short and long term happiness.