The Corroboree
Gollum

Is this suss?

I found this info on a Acacia on the net. Does this sound a bit suss? Do you think it is really animals doing this or humans after something other than grubs? :wink: I am pretty sure cockatoos are seed and browse eaters not grub or insect eaters. This makes me wonder about the credibility of this Zooloist as well. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Specific cultivation notes for A. obtusifolia.

Another thing I have noticed is that on many specimens, from different areas, there were marks or wounds on the stems. These wounds are usually about a 10 x 2.5 cm strip down the stems, with the bark being removed and the wood underneath damaged as well. As the bark doesn’t grow back these marks persist for along time. Recently I found some trees with many of these wounds that had been freshly made and I now believe that they are made by an animal. It seems that the animals open up the stems to get at the grubs that bore into the tree, many plants contain these white grubs that bore tunnels up the inside of the wood, the wood had been broken up to get access to these grubs. A zoologist recently informed me that it is most probably Cockatoos that do this to get at the grubs!

I have observed cockatoos on numerous occasions (especially yellow-tailed blacks) stripping bark off trees and have been told by birdos that they are predating grubs.

I think this is accurate.

Not suss. I recently read an article on biological control of garden pests. They say birds such as cockatoos are a main predator of borers (grubs which later turn into beetles), and get to them by striping back the bark etc. I don't know what would be worse for yer tree though, the borers or the bloody cockatoos!

I don't know, I reckon its a bit suss.

Maybe I should invest in a flock of cockatoo's train them to go out strip obtusifolia bark and bring it back for me. :D

They could probably help out some noob's with ID while they were at it :lol:

NOT suss at all!!!!

None of use obviously own red or white tailed black cockatoos or observed them much in the wild. Because it takes approx 2 weeks for cockatoos to destroy and eat completely through marri branched 6inches thick. One of mine escaped repeatedly by simply bolt cutting his way through the wire.(takes about 2 min to make a hole!) They can crack macadamia nuts, which even Macaws struggle and normally fail to do.

I have sat and watched them demolish standing, rotten, marri's. I estimate removing several kilo's of plant matter in 30min. It is very obvious when u see this wat they r up to. U see them listen and follow the bug up it's hole,remove sum more bark until it finds it, then chow it down.

Also I have seen this on a David Attenborough doco and I think we all know how credible he is.

Trust me, this is very true! :P

Well i must say that i am relieved to hear that its cockys and not humans. Thanks for the replies. :)

We have the yellow tailed black cockatoos a during the right time of the year,

they turn up every couple of weeks and strip a wheelbarrows worth of banksia pods

and twigs and cover the damn driveway which I have to rake up.Annoying but they

are cool to watch as they cut through pods like secatuers.I,ve tried the bit of the seed

that they eat and shit was it astringent.The worst are sulphur crested cockatoos.they

destroy all kinds of stuff.

Yeah, the yellow-tail blacks are beautiful birds. A flock of around 70 birds flew overhead the other day. That was a mighty impressive sight.

Back in the days b4 farmers fucked everything up and killed everyhting that didn't suit them, The sky would reportedly be blacked out for hours as the black cockies past overhead.

Unfortunately, these days, a flock of 70 birds is concidered large. I remember, when I was younger, flosks of hundreds, possibly thousands flying over, but no longer.

All the old growth forrest, which they NEED for the nesting hollows, which only form randomly, in very old trees!

Yet at the same time, our wildlife bodies hand out liscences to farmers to shoot scout birds(the oldest birds with the most knowledge, Do u really reakon a farmer could tell a scout bird from the rest??Doubtful)

Farmers are struggling with drought, cyclone and the such, yet we won't allow them to catch these cockatoo's and export them O/S for very large $$$$. This could help fund the farmers during times of need, and the rest of the world would be stoked that we finnally open up out wildlife for trade under CITES. As it stands at the mo' I can import and export dogs, cats, pigeon,etc(major disiese carriers) But there is absolutely ZERO allowance for export of our native wildlife. It happens extremely rarely(only when they get good advertising) and even for zoo's trying to send a pink and grey gallah to america is vurtiually IMMPOSSIBLE.

Sorry, this is a really sore point for me, as u can c.

Edited by naja naja

For the most part, I agree with you. It's also something I feel quite passionate about.

We're allowed to buy/own/breed cats and if your cat gets loose into the bush it's a very bad thing.

We're not allowed to buy/own/breed a sugar-glider and if you did have one and it got loose, well... it's a sugar-glider in the bush. :rolleyes:

Those massive flocks of Y-TBCs from days gone by must have been a very special thing to behold.