The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Ephedra

Would it be possible to distinguish between different ephedra species just from

foilage sample?

What keys if any??

Cheers

Where I live, you can find three species, E. fragilis is quite different to E. dystachia and E. nebrodensis. But Between E. dystachia and E. nebrodensis is soo hard to distinguish them. I can only know what are when they have berries.

At the botton of my blog you can find one image with the comparision of the three species.

http://ayadegasaski.blogspot.com/

The plant I wish to ID is a in a botanical gardens in southern Vic eg.frost, and is curiously only labeled as ephedra sp. The plant is growing well and is quite large All descriptions of different species I have read are virtually indentical... :wacko:

yeah they are all look alikes, no way to id them like you say, maybe botanyst with a microscope following some keys could. with my plants i can see some differnt features but this is not good enough to make a certain id. i don't know if some ephedras contain nasty stuff, but i guess you should try a bit as a tea and find out this way if it's a good one ore a lame one.

but chances are it's not a good one, the only active one reportet so far in puplic gardens was ephedra major.