The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
folias

Stephen Colbert Openly Verbally Napalms Bush

Stephen Colbert recently performed a comedy routine at the White House Press Corp dinner lambasting Bush and cronies in front of his face, which has been completely ignored by the U.S. mainstream media.

They say his brand of irony and sarcasm is just not funny, however, it is doubtful that anyone has ever gotten to critisise Bush with anything like this ferocity in front of his face - ever.

But the lack of reporting of what some are saying is a historical moment, is not surprising, considering Colbert's assesment of the U.S. press!

"But, listen, let's review the rules. Here's how it works: the president makes decisions. He's the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Just put 'em through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know - fiction!"

and here is a small excerpt from the transcript:

" Mark Smith, ladies and gentlemen of the press corps, Madame First Lady, Mr. President, my name is Stephen Colbert and tonight it's my privilege to celebrate this president. We're not so different, he and I. We get it. We're not brainiacs on the nerd patrol. We're not members of the factinista. We go straight from the gut, right sir? That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. I know some of you are going to say "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book.

Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works. Every night on my show, the Colbert Report, I speak straight from the gut, OK? I give people the truth, unfiltered by rational argument. I call it the "No Fact Zone." Fox News, I hold a copyright on that term.

I'm a simple man with a simple mind. I hold a simple set of beliefs that I live by. Number one, I believe in America. I believe it exists. My gut tells me I live there. I feel that it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and I strongly believe it has 50 states. And I cannot wait to see how the Washington Post spins that one tomorrow. I believe in democracy. I believe democracy is our greatest export. At least until China figures out a way to stamp it out of plastic for three cents a unit.

In fact, Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong, welcome. Your great country makes our Happy Meals possible. I said it's a celebration. I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

full transcript here.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811

and links to videos here

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/29/steph...lbert_kick.html

Julian.

love it! :D

yeah its funny

the politicians openly praise 'freedom of speech

because they have divorced themselves from accountability

yeah you can talk all you want , they say, because we aint listening

Dubbya or amanda vandstone its all the same

If i am wrong and "god" does exits

ill die and pass by the pearly gates and ill stand before the smiling face of george negus dressed ins a cheezy brown suit hes owned since the 70's

and he'll smile.. and tell me its all going to be OK

It would be hilarious if God did exist and his mission was to high-five everyone and do blow. That's how the second coming will look, high-fives for Heaven and low-fives for hell.

It says a lot about the state of the US regime when only the court jester is able to tell the king he has no clothes and get away with it! :P:P

Stephen Colbert recently performed a comedy routine at the White House Press Corp dinner lambasting Bush and cronies in front of his face, which has been completely ignored by the U.S. mainstream media.

The man has big, big, brass balls. Went into the lion's den and took it to everyone...between the politicians and the journalists, it's a wonder he didn't get lynched. Someone needs to give him a medal for speaking the truthiness (he and Jon Stewart rock). It was almost painful to watch, because there were hardly any audience laughs to bounce off, as the stunned silence grew.

There are a few torrents floating around if you check mininova.org or other torrent sites.

You gotta love this one, said just 3 metres from the president:

"I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."

Belf

as i was getting at

the antics of this one guy give an illusory sense of democracy and freedom

that prop up the bush administration, and any modern political party

all the while you are nothing but cattle

"sticks and stones may break my bones

but in the end i OWN you"

as i was getting at

the antics of this one guy give an illusory sense of democracy and freedom

that prop up the bush administration, and any modern political party

all the while you are nothing but cattle

True to a large extent

But I think from the reaction (or lack thereof) from the mainstream media and the white house that he is genuinely threatening to their reality.