The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

A retraction?

Ive been growing these for about 3 years but its only now i have enough that i can see the way they behave clearly

I thought i had 3 forms

a melted wax, a stubby and a longer thinner one

i am now not so sure

On page 52 of Trouts notes on san pedro there is a photo of a large clump clearly showing both forms in the one clump

like with my other trichs ist seems they exist within a range and have several forms

last year i coud easily divide them into 2 camps

this year however when i go out to take stock is see that i have longer form shooting off stubby ones

its not so clear

and a repeat of my spiny vs standard pachanoi days befeore i accepted their synonymity

so to those who expressed interets in trading the offer stands if you are ok with it but i can no longer assure you it is truly a distinct form. The best i can say is that long bits do tend to grow more long bits and short to short but they will throw both

It reminds me of conifers

upright cuttings make upright plants and lateral cuttings will grow more prostrate

The meted wax one is surely different though

and that monster cock version looks unique too

so i am a victim of not taking my own advice to hold off on characteristing a clone till you have many at all ages and sizes..

this year however when i go out to take stock is see that i have longer form shooting off stubby ones

its not so clear

and a repeat of my spiny vs standard pachanoi days befeore i accepted their synonymity

I was going to ask you about that. I picked up a nice one from brunswick st nursery a year or so ago and it was a short stubby with long doodles attached. ATM all the plant is stubby, but some sections look like they'll elongate a fair bit like the original doodles that got the dreaded rot.

Ive got both forms on one plant. The longer form i think i obtained from the cactii not getting enough sun, as when i moved them into full sun , the form became more stubby.

I believe the different forms to be due to amount and intensity of sunlight.

Penis2forms.jpg

B)

My freak long segmented TBM is staying to form for now, so Im really happy about that, Ill keep you guys updated because it has increased its output by quite a bit. jst have a look at the size of it compared to the one other side which was originaly larger before the damage to the maristem happend.

It would be nice if we could make this happen on command like we do with pups from meristem drilling of standard form Tricho's

post-824-1145420413_thumb.jpg

hey nice garden dazd! :)

P.s we should start a thread esp for TBM pics... They are SO photogenic! :)

Edited by tribal dreamings

I also have a couple of Bridgesii montrose clones.

One of the penis-plant variaties (short segments), left and right in the back, and the one in the front is called "Inermis".

Or maybe both are being sold under the name "penis-plant", I don't know for sure.

post-1495-1145465459_thumb.jpg

I dug up some shots of more full-grown clones of mentioned variaties (from mushmush gallery):

post-1495-1145465582_thumb.jpgpost-1495-1145465601_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1145465582_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1145465601_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1145465582_thumb.jpg

post-1495-1145465601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebas

i have picked up a bunch of clones of what appears to be a monstrose columnar bridgesii as opposed to the clumping variety.

This particular plant continually changes ribs and has mottled tip growth... could it simply be a bug/disease in the plant effecting its growth in this manner or is it indeed a monstrose growth form??

There were two plants where i sourced the cuttings from, on either side of a large collection, over 25 years old, displaying this weird monstrose growth...

any ideas?