The Corroboree
squidgygoanna

First time growing cacti from seed. When should I transplant these?

Hey guys,

Grew some lophs and trichs from seed using the Takeaway Tek. This is my first time growing from seed, wondering how these are looking so far? and when I should transplant these babies? Germinated on a heatmat under 2 x CFL's

Snapchat-506756209.jpg

Snapchat-1103107607.jpg

Snapchat-506756209.thumb.jpg.1dcfc1042f4de8e26b23c76bb7182ddf.jpg

Snapchat-1103107607.thumb.jpg.96891306d80d7b528f5ab5d7dd8a1f52.jpg

Snapchat-506756209.thumb.jpg.1dcfc1042f4de8e26b23c76bb7182ddf.jpg

Snapchat-1103107607.thumb.jpg.96891306d80d7b528f5ab5d7dd8a1f52.jpg

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 3

I would say just wait a little longer - until the Lophs have lost their baby spines and look like miniature adults.

• Like 2

They look good, I reckon you could pot up those trich seedlings, I usually pot them up and place them in a large plastic tub or mini greenhouse so they slowly and gradually acclimatize to less humidity and more sun, if they turn red they are getting sunburnt. You can slowly acclimatize them before potting up as well.

I never use lights or heat mats but I am pretty sure they would crank a lot faster using a heat mat.

• Like 1

Cheers Bardo!

• Like 1

You're welcome : ) There is no one perfect way and has a lot to do with experimenting and one persons advice may not be appropriate to another's climate hence the importance of experiment. But this method will generally work with little issue, you could expect some losses during transplanting because they are quite fragile at this young stage but the loses are usually minimal.

All the best with the growing : )

• Like 1

I leave em in until they are nearly crowded. Works for me, one of the hard core cacti heads may chime in with their preference . They are looking good:)

the sooner the trichs get into bigger pots the fatter & faster they grow..........

the best way to learn is by experience.....plant one in a 4mm pot,another in a 10mm pot and 6 in a shallow 15cm pt.  leave the rest in the takeaway tub.  give all of them the same grow conditions, ferts etc.  take pic's monthly

everyone's grow conditions are different, just as their experiences & opinions.......

only by experimentation will you learn what works best for you

• Like 4

I agree, try different things and keep track of things like soil mixes, water, ferts etc.

• Like 1

On 29-5-2017 at 2:27 PM, Spanishfly said:

I would say just wait a little longer - until the Lophs have lost their baby spines and look like miniature adults.

Lophs lose their spines? :huh:

What excactly are baby spines lol

43 minutes ago, DualWieldRake said:

How long ago did you germinate these?

These were planted in early march

• Like 1

I see a few people have mentioned ferts, what sort should I use for cacti? how old should the cacti be before feeding them?

5 minutes ago, squidgygoanna said:

These were planted in early march

Wow, they got big in such a short time

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:29 AM, squidgygoanna said:

I see a few people have mentioned ferts, what sort should I use for cacti? how old should the cacti be before feeding them?

I am a bit slack with feeding but I use dilute fish emulsion and every so often I add dilute seasol, when you pot them up there will be more food available to them so it is not crucial to use ferts straight away. I usually don't give them any ferts till there about 10-15cm tall or sometimes even later but I guess they would crank faster if you did so sooner, You can get away with a lot with cacti, they can handle a bit of neglect.

A bit vague in my answer but yeh there tuff and will often go yellow when really nutrient deprived.

All the best : )

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:47 PM, DualWieldRake said:

Lophs lose their spines? :huh:

What excactly are baby spines lol

Tiny Lophophora do have small vestigial spines - that are totally gone by the time they look like miniature adults.

• Like 4

On 6/9/2017 at 1:29 PM, squidgygoanna said:

maybe some very weak tomato food would be best to start just added in to a watering as a one time tester

...and perhaps see how it goes from there? - maybe just try it on one?

but if it slays it off then ya know not to do it again I guess...

I guess a lot might be specific to your personal growing environment tho as mentioned above from ultra special cactical ops

dnno how old they should be for feed perhaps yours are too young 

I found transplanting trichos to john innes#3 loam really beneficial this year in the uk for some 2-3yr old seedlings , i lost a lot in the recent past tryna feed them

...but i gave them terbo high strength like i do the adults ... oops :D

maybe its not worth the risk of such an early feed come to think of it ... it's so hard to lose them for being too pushy and in that sense perhaps encourage longer patience?

still being fairly cactaceally nubial I feel i bit off more than i can chew in tryna answer, sorry man 

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 3