The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trevyn

Macrogonus, SS01, RSfat4, RS004,Geronimo, tripsis and company

Okay so this is now a defunct species and now simply a horticulture variety, am I correct?

It seems even at that level, what is being horticulturally called macrogonus goes far afield from where it started. 

German seeds produce something that looks like a peruvianus from Rio Lurin as pictured by @Evil Genius with spines that curl back on the plant. 

Getting your hands on anything that matches the original description is pretty much relegated to getting clones, and even then, I have no idea how "Big Mac" fits that bill at all. 

I think the direction of my hobby is going to be focused on acquiring classic examples and producing seed between them.  I will grow some out sure, but I really would love to make available "classic" macrogonus seed.  

So I have RS0004, which other cuts have similar traits?  Needle thin spines, a crowded crown around the areol, main spine pointing down, etc?

imho you'd have greater chances of succeeding in your stated goals by inventing a time machine and going back to the time of Ritter than you will have in the current era.

If yer saying macrogonus is now a defunct species just how do you propose reviving it & producing "classic macrogonus seed" ??

• Like 1

most people agree marcogonus is a form of paruvianus, but some still use it to describe a certain pheno. 

Now, dunno what a RA00004 is, show us pics! is it a macrogonus or a peruvianus? :P 

imho you'd have greater chances of succeeding in your stated goals by inventing a time machine and going back to the time of Ritter than you will have in the current era.

If yer saying macrogonus is now a defunct species just how do you propose reviving it & producing "classic macrogonus seed" ??

I have no plan to revive a defunct species, or even enter into the argument of if it is or is not a species separate from t. peruvianus.  But several vendors sell seeds, and what the seeds grow don't match either the available/historical clones, or the original collection descriptions.  And they could.  Even if the term is just a horticultural cultivar, that's cool with me. :)  I don't have a horse in that race.  

@sagiXsagi This is an RS0004: RS0004-Macrogonus.jpg

Is it "macrogonus or peruvianus?  I believe the conventional wisdom is that it (and all macs) are peruvianus.  Maybe in the same way cordobensis is scop?  **shrug**

Edited by Trevyn

whats this? im happy to change it to peruvianus, I just like to keep IDs that plants come with

that was of course a joke , "Is it "macrogonus or peruvianus? " . 

the funny thing is that sometimes we dont even agree what macrogonus is supposed to look like..

if you asked me, your rs0004 does't look very macrogonus . Doesn't have dense, long or colour ful spination & large spine numbers, doesn't seem too blue, and has small areoles not swollen and round . 

But maybe I am just saying nonsense and I have no idea what a macro should look like... 

Yeah I really like the pictures where the areoles are sporting a "fan" of spines like a turkey's butt.  Old growth on the rs0004 looks like that, but online i was only finding tip pics.  Heh... tip pics sounds dirty.