The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

Tillandsia ( air plant ) show and tell

Anyone into these marvelous miniatures? Lets share our pics, tips, stories and trade-lists.

Not my pics but here's a few of the species I have growing nicely.

Tillandsia Bergeri

tillandsia-bergeri-in-bloom-barry-landau

T. mallemontii

15048210216_85877c5746_b.jpg

T.caerulea

caerulea_1080201-2.jpg

T.paleacea

tillandsia_paleacea_ssp_apurimacensis_2.

I find plenty of breeze is the key to growing them successfully,and like to attach them to garden trees with a drop of liquid-nails.

I have plenty of the first two species if any one wants to trade, pm me. I'd be keen to pickup anything unusual, especially something with red or yellow flowers.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 9

rawrz hell yes but I lost all ours last winter (only had 3 anyway)

will be defo swatting up on these badboys starting right here!

with a view to growing as many as poss..

Awesome thread , wish i had taken pics to add.. will do in future tho'

umm the only tip I can add for now is they seemed to like being rehydrated, when times came, in the aquarium :)

maybe all the goodies in the water was a bit like middle manning some delayed frequency aquaponics ferts?

never had a chance to see one flower though..

other than that yeah, make sure you don't leave em out in winter in the greenhouse if your climate is anythn like the my part of uk lol

Wow... They are beautiful. I'd never seen any in flower before, quite orchid-y.

I don't have any of my own but seeing these pics have definately sparked my interest. I'm especially a fan of the T. mallemontii.

I like the notion of 'show and tell' too... Was always the best part of school

Here's a pic of what at a guess must be a few T.paleacea (and maybe another variety -smaller leafed one in the upper right corner) I saw at the local bontanic gardens anyway

post-8023-0-62243400-1433661963_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

noice, I'd say there are a couple different species there bog. They are very orchid-y and are epiphytes and non-parasitic. I'm not sure how they go in chilly NZ but there would have to be a few different species that would do well. Just keep your eyes peeled, You never know where you might find them. I visited a new garden today with a shyt load of Tillandsia bergeri.

I love the look of cacti with tillandsias growing on them (and bromeliads and orchids)They grow nicely on the old cut sections. They get that interesting coral reef look about them. It's quite natural.

Tillandsia%20cacticola.jpg

till1.jpg

tillandsia.jpg

leme38.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

some more pix

air-plant-peace-sign.jpg

5328390673_c73c557f4a_b.jpg

527bea0c91234.JPG

ZJ_T_flexuosa.jpg

Tilltree1.JPG

castaway-cay-plant-11.jpg?token=%2FAKUY%

8589043358_89d0568073_z.jpg

1cf2bd.jpg

6250.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

No pictures, but here are some comments from my "Sacramental and Medicinal Cacti."

"Tillandsia mooreana is a peyote "companion" known as "waráruwi." Harming this plant, possibly through improper collection methods, is considered dangerous. The related T. purpurea has been depicted on Mochica pottery, possibly suggesting sacramental usage in the past."

T. mooreana is from Tarahumara country in Mexico, while T. purpurea is from Peru.

~Michael~

• Like 2