The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
pinegapcontrol

Guidelines for new cacti names..?

It seems as though every tom dick and harry has got a new culltivar happening these days, Im just wondering what parameters constitute the right to put a new name on something.

Im guessing the answer is that there are no real rules.

obviously crosses are crosses but im more talking about all the different bridgesii', Peruvianus and Pachanoi cultivars. A lot of these do have a decent lineage but a lot do not.

I forget who it was but someone recently put up "HB" bridgesii. ( correct me if that is incorrect ). It was a seed grown plant from Hamiltons. hence the "H", not sure about the B... so one might ask, can i put a new name on any seed grown plant? or only on an exceptional seed grown plant? or what?

One reason i ask is that in my experience and from what ive heard from others seed grown plants can vary massively in appearance, I have 24 peruvianus grown from seed in 2007 and each one is different. Am i allowed to give each one a unique name?

forgive me if im rambling.

Very interested to hear peoples thoughts.

HB comes from herbalistics, there's a whole line of them from 1-7 by now i think,

maybe you're referring to the HN1 or something, it was just a cool plant i think and he named it for reference before selling a whole bunch of cuts. basically you can't stop someone naming their plants, free speech and all that. what you can do is stop yourself caring......

Well you both got the name of the new one wrong. It's been called "H1" by the SAB user paradox, who sold a bunch of cuts. The story on the below link is it came from the nursery Hamiltons and he personally considers it the number one bridgesii he's seen from that nursery so he called it "H1" :innocent_n:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40341

And as far as the question "are there any rules" - short answer, No.

A name will become "valid" if people pick up on it and continue to use it, otherwise it won't. So, micoz, if you took your 24 unique peru's and cut them all up and sold off pieces of them with their names you gave them, then if the people who bought those cuts kept the names you gave them on their plants too then sure, your names would also be "valid"

Until there is a proper governing body set up to regulate the naming of trichocereus species it's not going to get any better. Lots of other plant species have organizations that list and regulate the naming of cultivars, such as brugmansia and orchids.

• Like 2

yeah right, you articulated what i couldnt zed240, availability is a factor, the more there is floating around the more, (or sooner) a name will stick

• Like 1

Hi Guys, totally agree that everyone who names a clone should follow a few guidelines. It doesn´t help anyone if people name a Plant that is unavailable so i would recommend that everyone who names a clone should give it away to a couple of respected members to ensure that the plant does not end up as a Collection-corpse.

Besides, i would recommend that the clone should somehow be cataloged to make sure people can actually recognize it from others in their collection. I am happy to put up a Page in the Database for every clone you Guys name. Just provide me some Pics and a tiny description about what is unique about it and what the backstory to the clone is.

• Like 2

Well, it's already far to late to name only those varieties that are exceptional in some way - as used to be the case.

Personally, I only name the ones I have if:

- It is exceptional in some way and I propagate and distribute it

- I cross it with another plant to make hybrid seed

- I know it hasn't been named by someone else and does not appear to be a plant that is the same as has been named by someone else - this is important, as some of you may recall the low-integrity and somewhat mentally retarded individual who was posting about his "huanucoensis" on here, then selling it for outlandish prices on ebay as such, despite that it was clearly labelled as a pachanoi by the nursery in California where he bought it and didn't look like a huanucoensis to begin with..

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 2