The Corroboree
ace1928

Maintanence Free Mushroom Kit - New Idea

Hey guys

Now I know that a lot of people will be wary about a kit. A lot of the ones on the market do not work all to well and generally do require a lot of monitoring and alot of work.

Well I hope to change all of that.

I've included some photos of my first run prototype of a kit that I will be launching on kickstarter hopefully in the near near future

I've also included the link to the kickstarter preview. You are more than welcome to leave feedback on here or on there and share with whomever you think may appreciate it.

Any feedback will be taken and used to improve the idea and I hope that by the end of it I can provide a product that will bring gourmet mushroom growing within the reach of anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Cheers Everyone :D

Kickstarter Preview Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1156625516/1468011123?token=5a2acbdd

Note: There may not appear to be much weight so far but the flushes just keep on coming AND this prototype run through was not even close to optimum cropping conditions. Based on the run so far a feesible and probable estimate of yield off of each kit refill would be minimum 800g going right up to almost 2kg.

51zhbb.jpg

voa784.jpg

2eyclmf.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it :)

• Like 4

Ok, you asked for some feedback about the kickstarter page so here goes:

*Clearer explanation of how it works: input, output, power, maintenance. I'm not a mycologist so the design is a bit of a mystery to me. Why have clear/opaque sides? What is the power for? Why is it divided up like that? Which bit does the processed paper go into? You say that 500g of waste is needed to produce 1kg+ of mushrooms over a "cropping cycle", but how long is that? Home growers might not care, but for the larger units you might need to throw some numbers like monthly yield and kilowatt hours out there, even if they're wild estimates (I know you've put some of this in the pledges bit, but maybe have some info in the main section too). I know this is all stuff that might seem painfully obvious to the mycologists, but I reckon the market for kits is going to be more composed of home-gardeners and DIY-science types, so any explanation of how & why needs to be able to be followed by non-mycologists and 10-year-old kids (i.e. noobs, but noobs who like to know how stuff works).

*Price?

*I would also mention some names of mushroom species that it is possible to grow with this kind of kit, just to get peoples mouths watering. :drool2: Just the other day I was trying to talk someone into making DIY kits of bioluminescent fungi for noobs like me, and now you turn up separately offering kits and a glowing mushroom variety! Put the two together and I reckon you've got a winner - what kid or tripper wouldn't love a box full of glowing fungus that feed on old paper?

*Photos - the earlier prototypes especially look a bit dodgy (sorry!) and might not reassure contributors that you are capable of designing and making an attractive functional commercial unit. They're not explained and they don't really add anything to the page, so I'd scrap them. The latest prototype plus those you've put up here are much better, especially the ones that show fruiting fungus, as you can see what a functioning unit might look like. A good sketched blueprint of your final design could be a good addition, and would also allow you to point out any improvements on the current design, eg. "these sections will be produced by 3D printer, saving costs and creating a stronger, lighter unit which requires less assembly and cleaning".

I think this is a great idea hey, would really love to see it take off. :)

p.s. welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Cheers man

Love the feedback and will act on it accordingly. Once I have I'll post on here so everyone knows it has been updated.

Figures definitely need to be corrected too and I will definitely put up some power usage estimates etc as well

Thank again. Really do appreciate it :)

Cool, glad I didn't offend you or anything. But don't take my ideas too seriously hey - they're just first thoughts and impressions, I'm sure other people will have different ones! I'll be interested to see the feedback from mycologist types.

Love the idea- are you saying that this will automatically take care of things like humidity and fresh air exchange?

You totally need to put up size and footprint area on the benchtop units so ppl know how big they are

Is your price point set too low? I reckon you prolly are aiming at making sure people can afford them- but seriously, $49- does that include shipping? Unless the units are small, like 2L capacity, you could be doing yourself a real disservice unless you are planning to sell top-ups somehow. If the units are self perpetuating they represent a significant cost saving at even $75- that's the price of 7 kilos of supermarket Agaricus

You will need to factor in time to deal with client enquiries- and then more time to deal with idiots. They're out there. And you should get paid for that time because it isn't fun time. 80% of your customer service time is often spent dealing with 20% of your clients

You prolly know you need to put up pics on the kickstarter site of units that are in-place, like on a kitchen benchtop- and yielding

If you get time, I'd do a small business course at TAFE, because it will cover lots of stuff you prolly haven't thought of, like tax and insurance. You might not want to deal with that stuff, but you should know why rather than pretending it doesn't exist

I'd put some harvest and post-harvest handling instructions with them, because stupid people can do stuff like harvest and eat slimy mushrooms and get sick. Given you have a DIY kit that's maybe less likely, but it only takes one total fool to end up in hospital.

I think you could be on a winner here, if your units work as described.

The current supplier of oyster kits, Fungi Culture is deadset brilliant and provides a good product, and has done so by keeping it simple. His website provides *excellent* information on growing and stuff. But it never ceases to amaze me how some people still get poor yields with those kits, they're idiot proof. However the concept of balancing fresh air exchange with humidity seems to escape a few ppl I know of, and some still think placing them in the dark is a requirement, despite the excellent documentation and the adaptability of the strain he uses to a range of environments.

So yeah, don't underestimate stupid. And if you've solved the humidity/ FAE issue for them that's excellent!

• Like 2

Yes! you might need to sell the inedible decorative glowindark one or something that doesnt bioaccumulate to process printed waste of unknown provenance. I'm not sure what we are using in paper these days but back in the day when i was setting up my garden i was warned not to use newspapers etc with coloured inks. will beta test in tassie :)

Loving the feedback guys

Will reply with a bit more detail later today or tomorrow.
Also will make some updates on the site most definitely. You have pointed out a few little things that I had completely overlooked.

Also a note is that the kits or not perpetual. They last a while and Yield a fair bit but you would need to buy refills as you go through the year/years. They are substantially cheaper than market cost for mushrooms though, plus they are fresh.

Newspaper in Australia generally uses soy based inks. The big thing though, which will be included with documentation, is to not use glossy print or magazines etc.

Again, thank you very much for the feedback. Slam it as hard as you want because the more feedback I get from the more people the better I can make it for everyone :)

• Like 1

Ah, I need to retract the line about stupid ppl I think, as someone who has failed Chemistry 101 at least five times I can hardly be calling ppl out on their intelligence just because they get a simple process wrong once

It is frustrating tho, trying to get ppl to understand the balance with FAE/ humidity and light requirements, and it's sad watching people give up after failing on the first go, or because their yields weren't up to expectations because they didn't have the right spot for their spawn to fruit

I love the idea of glowing mushrooms. I love it a whole lot. But what are the chances of someone's kid, like a toddler, scarfing some down and getting sick? I dunno about that one, makes me a tad nervous

The glowing ones will cause some nausea if eaten and general make a person throw up but no lasting damage and nothing major.
The other thing with the glowing ones is that I was thinking of having them in a self regulating enclosure that sticks onto a wall so its like a glowing living night light
That would also make it hard to access to eat which is a good thing.

P. stipticus are reportedly non-toxic, they just taste horrible and bitter, so any curious toddlers would probably spit them out anyway. Omphalotus nidiformis are toxic, but it's not the luminescent compounds that make them so.

I was also reading that lowering substrate pH (to the 4-5 range) can greatly increase the brightness of P. stipticus - no idea about the mechanism, but it was an interesting tip.

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 1

My only comment is that in general oysters don't actually sell that well in the Australian market other than Asian grocers.

That is true Zen. But the beauty of these kits is the fact that you can grow all different types of mushrooms in them. Not just oyster.
The other part is that these kits are not just going to be aimed at the Australian market. I am planning to launch these internationally.

There are some countries I won't be able to ship too which is unfortunate but the vast majority will accept shipment of mushroom cultures originating from Australia.

When I make the updates I will be putting in a list of species that will work with the kit also.

Any more questions/thoughts please fire away :)

Cheers

I am intrigued to know what species can be grown with success in such a kit. From what I can see I am not sure others can thrive.

Not all will grow on waste,some will but won't thrive - oysters are the ideal candidate. I've seen many a compost bin and even those Bokashi buckets fail miserable and usually because KISS principles not applied as waste recycling/management.

(BTW ...I think Bokashi buckets suck)

Its not clear why it needs to be plugged in...then a serious issue - can it catch on fire or electrocute someone?

I've only quickly scanned the KS page, but you would need to put the kit through hell to ensure the above points at least

are covered...may save your arse from litigation.

EDIT - I also think you are onto something mate *nods head :wink:

Edited by waterboy

Maintenance free? I don't get it.

You want money for a plastic box with glad wrap? Do you supply cultures to go with it?

Don't mean to sound rude, but those mushies don't look great, what is the advantage of your kit?

OK guys i will be posting an updated version on the kickstarter site later today.
Sorry for the delays in updates. Been moving house the past few days which is pretty hectic as I'm sure you would know.

But I will get around to answering all of the questions today hopefully.

Cheers

Edited by ace1928

Ok here are the first lot of updates

I will be reorganising the kickstarter page later because it is going to be a mammoth task once I've hit all of the feedback and incorporated it.

But here is the first part of replies to the questions asked so far

Input power will be converted to DC via a small power inverter (such as what would be used in a phone charger for example) and that will power the pumps, fans and lights in the kit.
Total power usage IF everything in it ran continuously would be 20W BUT things do not run continuously. So the total kWh for the whole day is 0.21kwh approximately (upper end. final usage will most likely be lower)
This equates to around 4 - 5c per day or somewhere between $15 - $20 per year

As for maintenance of the kits themselves there is essentially none. The only "maintenance" involved would be to empty the water in the reservoir via the plug on the bottom of the kit each time you change species, so as to avoid cross contamination of different species via spores etc. And then to fill it back up.

The kit provides autonomous FAE and humidity control through design and the length of cropping cycles is somewhere between 6 - 12 weeks for MOST species. Some species are longer and some species are shorter but that will be outlined on a species by species basis. It is unlikely that any species will have a cropping cycle more than 4 months duration though. The only one that immediately comes to mind having a long cropping cycle is reishi and seeing as how it is a medicinal mushroom you would not eat kilos of it in a week so the longer cycle is not a major issue in my opinion but please do tell me if it is :P

So yeh the power usage is minimal. The maintenance is nearly non existant and the cropping cycles are faster than most vegetables and almost all fruits with generally higher yields for the space used.

As for the glowing mushrooms they will not be in a kit like that. They will be in their own style of kit that you can attach to walls etc via a sticky pad that wont leave residue. You fill up the water reservoir once every 6 weeks initially, less after fruiting, and you will have glowing mushrooms for about 2 years (average viable lifespan of the species). Which again I don't think is too bad. They won't be expensive and the care of them is not particularly demanding. Especially for something that is rather elusive and novel.

As for the yields. For pretty much any species that grows in the kit you would be looking at a minimum of 800grams yield. But for some species that could go up to as high as 2kilograms or more.
Again this will be outlined on a species by species basis and the pricing of the refills will accordingly be adjusted to ensure that it is below market value price of the species, in saying that however, the more expensive species will NOT be adjusted to a higher price only the cheap species will be adjusted to a lower price if necessary. Realistically I don't want the refill prices to be any higher than $20 but if they have to be lower that is ok. I want these to be extremely accessible to people, not just to people with a heap of money.

Harvesting and post harvesting instructions will be put up on species by species basis as well. Instructions will most likely be grouped by species.

As has been pointed out also the glowing mushrooms are not deadly. They just generally cause some irritation and are rather unpalatable.

As for the fire issue mentioned earlier, the components in the kits will not be modified and each of them contain their own guarantees to meet fire standards of Australia. This should mean minimal certification needed, the only part of the kit that may need to be assessed for meeting standards would be the wiring of the timing relays and what not. Again, looking into that further currently but does not appear to be a major issue at the moment.

Some design blue prints will be uploaded to the kickstarter site once I have finished the revision after I have collected some more feedback.

But I will upload them at the end of this post for people to have a look at.

As for a list of species that will grow in the kit:

Black poplar

Blue oyster
Stipticus
King Oyster
Lions Mane
Pearl Oyster
Pink Oyster
Reishi
Shimeji
Milky Mushroom
Almond Agaricus (Blazei)
Button Mushroom (and variants)
Shitake
Enoki
Garden Giant
Golden Oyster
Maitake
Nameko
Paddy Straw
Shaggy Mane
Pheonix Oyster
Elm Oyster

Unverified and in testing soon

Chicken of the Woods
Turkey Tail
Cauliflower Mushroom
Coral Mushroom
Brick Cap Mushroom
Blewit

So I think that is a sizeable list of species that will work in it

Also currently looking into the feesability of offering a temperature controller for people who are in climates that won't support the mushroom species that they want to grow, but that is a while off of being thoroughly tested.

SO I think that answers most things so far.
Any other thoughts, opinions, suggestions etc that anyone has please let me know
And as I have said be as hard and harsh on it and me as you wish. Good strong feedback is much better than people trying to be sensitive and beating around the bush :P haha

Cheers again guys. Hopefully with your help I can polish it off into the ideal kit for everyone :)

Finished Kit Model.pdf

Finished Kit Model.pdf

Finished Kit Model.pdf

Edited by ace1928
  • Like 1

Your listing mushrooms that grow under vastly different fruitig parameters. Calocybe indica and paddy straws in the same conditions as chicken of the woods and blewits.

how do you know all these mushrooms will fruit in your kit? Will you be varying substrates? You know that blewits fruiting indoors is unusually finnicky.

I'm skeptical.

oysters maybe but not so sure about finnicky species. Chickens indoors on a humidified plastic box? Would come down to lucky isolate more than kit surely?

U have to apologise for that list
I have them in excel and had filtered for the verified and unverified ones and the shuffle didn't work properly evidently.

My apologies for that

I do understand that they need different conditions (although many species require essentially the same)
And each "refill" for the kit is what will contain the different substrates and what not

For species that will not thrive on trash the instructions for that individual species will explicitly say so
BUT on that not there are not many mushrooms that will not benefit or thrive on different types of waste available within a household.

And yes genetics will play a massive factor in regards to what species are guaranteed to work and what are still experimental.
Thats where all the research and testing comes into it. It's not a tiny process involved in these kits haha

Not sure why but it's essentially only the bottom of that list which shouldn't be there

Coral Mushrooms
Brick Caps
Blewits

Should be under the unverified part

As for the different species I have successfully fruited

Black poplar

Blue oyster
Pearl Oyster
Pink Oyster
Reishi
Shimeji
Almond Agaricus (Blazei)
Button Mushroom (and variants)
Shitake
Golden Oyster
Maitake
Shaggy Mane
King Oyster

The reason the others are in the list is because their fruiting parameters are either similiar to other species in this list OR fruiting parameters for those species can be satisfied based on tests of the kit.
Sorry again for that little screw up with the list

Keep firing questions though. I like them