The Corroboree
Darklight

Butia capitata- OMG- a happy mistake

OMG- I tasted the first fruits ever from my 16yo Jelly Palm ( Butia capitata ). Tastes like a tropical apricot, absolutely delicious and really prolific bearer, doesn't need x-pollination

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph10.htm#jelly

It took me a while to work out which species the palm was, I remember looking for the palm whose sap can produce arrack ( Cocos nucifera ), then thinking I'd planted a Chilean Wine Palm ( Jubaea chilensis ). I didn't keep good records back when the palm was planted

A botanist mate came round today and after saying the fruit was good to eat, we tried some then tracked down the species by checking the fruit. Jelly palm it is- the Chilean Wine Palm has coconut coloured flesh round the seed and the Jelly Palm is orange like the fruit here

This specimen seems to be frost hardy- but tho it is in a frost prone area of the yard it is also a little protected from the worst of it. Subtropical seems good for it

Plant some! I got mine from Daley's- I have seed here but a developed plant will save you a coupla years. OMG, this is as good as jaboticaba, in fact, it practically succeeds it season-wise, if I can find something to bridge the season's gap between jaboticaba harvest and the jelly palm harvest I'll be a very happy camper indeed

• Like 3

Yep, my parents have a huge one growing out the front yard, I must agree, they are delicious. I could easily eat them all day long.

good to hear, i want one now aswell!

i wonder though, how drought hardy they are?

btw, i always wanted to plant out heaps of chilean wine palms (quite frost hardy), they are a very endangered plant, and look awesome.

better than jaboticaba hey,

sounds interesting, if you have some spare seed i wouldnt mind giving it a twirl.

subtropical is where im situated so sounds perfect.

Na, Jaboticaba is queen as far as I'm concerned. But hey, who has to decide? I can have both- just not harvesting at the same time :)

It's quite funny, I wasn't expecting the jelly palm to taste so strongly of apricots. I love apricots but it's hard to grow them in this climate. And now I don't need to

i wonder though, how drought hardy they are?

btw, i always wanted to plant out heaps of chilean wine palms (quite frost hardy), they are a very endangered plant, and look awesome.

Drought hardy, salt and frost tolerant according to the pages I saw

http://www.ellisfarms.com/butia-capitata-pindo-palm

Some advice with this species- don't plant it within 5m of a pathway as the fruits make a yucky slippery patch when they drop

The fruit is prone to fruit fly and doesn't handle well. I'd advise eating it off the palm as it becomes ripe

Some advice with this species- don't plant it within 5m of a pathway as the fruits make a yucky slippery patch when they drop

The fruit is prone to fruit fly and doesn't handle well. I'd advise eating it off the palm as it becomes ripe

"off the palm onto the palm and into the gobbler"