The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

yeah that's him

he's in wikipedia? O_o

I made up a little tray for some of my Lophs and re potted them into some plastic shot glasses

After seeing what BB posted today I'm starting to think it was a waste of time & I could have just bunged them all in together.

I'll wait a few days and then water them in.

doesnt look like a waste of time...

you wont have the best growth rate in there, but you can control them more easily by them being separately..... then, next year, you can chose your favourites of these and put them in a single larger [and deeper] pot.

Fine job you've done there, mate!

Today I found some T.Pach seedlings that had rotted off their roots, they were from a batch that I dropped onto the floor. Must have sustained some damage , although they looked ok when I repotted them. Live and learn I suppose.

My Dog just fucking ate a grafted appel sized pelecyphora aseliformis. :( Jesus fucking christ.

My Dog just fucking ate a grafted appel sized pelecyphora aseliformis. :( Jesus fucking christ

Have you dug the hole yet :devil:

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

yeah that's him

he's in wikipedia? O_o

I unno?

HerpDerp.png

My Dog just fucking ate a grafted appel sized pelecyphora aseliformis. :( Jesus fucking christ.

Oh god...

hey haven't you trained your dog about slow fucking growers?

apple sized? damn!

So is your dog okay eg?

Wall yesterday I made my own potting mix I used about 10% sand and 10% perlite then one bag of cacti potting mix and a bag of just cheap potting mix I then planted up a few cactus cuttings I've had lying around as well as some peres and some other dragon fruit looking cuts for grafting stock.

I can't believe how little a wheel barrow full of potting mix goes :(

I had a mildly productive first hour of the morning considering I'm near 24 hours awake.

It started out on quite a sour note when I found I had what I'm completely amatuerly guessing is/was fungus gnats. From there I had to toss the last bits of my bags of soil that were sitting just outside it (they were covered in the gnats) and open up a fresh pack in the shed and mixed it up to make it go a bit further (70% cacti mix, 20% regular potting soil, 5% sand, 5% perlite).

Unpotted the cacti (luckily(?) I only have the 2 and they're not huge, yet). I re-potted them into the washed pots and wrapped them up with some bubble-wrap :)

Non-cacti related:

I planted a couple Leonotis nepetifolia & Mimosa tenuiflora seedlings into pots too :)

I've got to build myself one of those little seedling boxes with the lights and the warm so I can make purdy seedlings all year around.

I was putting a young cactus up for an experiment of mine. The cactus is an outgrowth [<is that what you call it??]. I was trying to see if overwatering was an issue and guess what happened.

Hi Jwerta, yeah dog´s fine but it was one hell of a Day. Tried making him puke it out by feeding him milk which was a very very bad idea because he was so greedy that he drank it all at once. Like half a liter in one minute. Then he got round like a frigging basketball and couldnt move anymore because he was so full. In fact he was so full of milk that he was shacking and making strange moves with his anus muscles forth and back while he was trying to take a dump but couldnt because he was fuller than the fat guy on the bed in the movie seven. Was concerned he might implode so i tried making him puke by grabbing down his throat and tingeling his gums. Of course with latex gloves but it was still disgusting. Then he finally puked a little bit but not much. And right when i was in the middle of ramming my dog my hand in the mouth making him puke, the postguy came and wanted to delivere a package. Looked like a fucking animal abuser trying to rip out his tonsils or some sick shit like that. After a few hours all hell broke lose when he was finally able to take a dump through all the parts of the house. It was like the doors of jericho opened up or when a damm breaks. Holy fucking shit. :)

• Like 5

omg that is one of the funniest story's iv heard in a long time... that made me crack up so hard hehehehahaha

im glad hes okay though. im sure him shitting so much will give him a little lesson not to eat cacti but then gain dogs do all kinds of crazy stuff

Edited by jwerta
  • Like 1

Silly dog. Glad to hear he's alright.

A friend's rabbit ate my ~10 y.o own roots Pelecyphora and bit a mature Loph the day I got em.

That rabbit looked wild that night, could see it in it's eyes.

• Like 2

Hi Jwerta, yeah dog´s fine but it was one hell of a Day. Tried making him puke it out by feeding him milk which was a very very bad idea because he was so greedy that he drank it all at once. Like half a liter in one minute. Then he got round like a frigging basketball and couldnt move anymore because he was so full. In fact he was so full of milk that he was shacking and making strange moves with his anus muscles forth and back while he was trying to take a dump but couldnt because he was fuller than the fat guy on the bed in the movie seven. Was concerned he might implode so i tried making him puke by grabbing down his throat and tingeling his gums. Of course with latex gloves but it was still disgusting. Then he finally puked a little bit but not much. And right when i was in the middle of ramming my dog my hand in the mouth making him puke, the postguy came and wanted to delivere a package. Looked like a fucking animal abuser trying to rip out his tonsils or some sick shit like that. After a few hours all hell broke lose when he was finally able to take a dump through all the parts of the house. It was like the doors of jericho opened up or when a damm breaks. Holy fucking shit. :)

Glad your dog's ok. As serious as the topic is, I love a good poop story. Toilet humour gets me every time.

• Like 1

Today I watered my cactus seedlings with tears, after crying about how cold it was. :)

• Like 2

It's due to get to -5 deg this week and while I know my plants will survive the winter outdoors, I did move the potted ones from a very exposed spot to one that is more protected.

Also noticed that the (usually very neglected) zygo is just starting to flower so I gave it a drink. Then sat outside drinking beer surrounded by cactus.

Chopped the shoots off my T. Peruvianus logs that I won off trademe for 20 bucks.

Planted my little san pedro cuttings that finally rooted.

Pulled my other peruvianus cutting out of its soil to see if it had struck roots after two months and there only just beginning to emerge, argh!

So I've moved it to a spot with less light to see if that encourages more rooting behaviour.

repotted a shit tonne of d. cooperi and other delosperma.

• Like 1

I have been adding to my collection :)

Potted up a couple of ferocactus and my first lot of stenocactus

post-4489-0-49743500-1338132023_thumb.jp post-4489-0-14572700-1338131998_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-14572700-1338131998_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-49743500-1338132023_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-14572700-1338131998_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-49743500-1338132023_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I grow some aswell, GOT. And if you end up not liking the flowers, you can still use them as grafting stock. I know quite a few people who graft on Ferocactus.

I bought a few new terra cotta pots to do a little much needed up-sizing. Here's a little slideshow of my garden...

~Michael~

• Like 4

;) GOT , say hi from me to the newcomers!

FYI, stenocacti names /species, given by growers/nurseries, is probably all crap. all species are hybridised and you might easily NOT get what you asked for. I am not saying you should throw away the labels, but keep in mind it might be all wrong...

probably a worse mess than trichocerei

EG, Irecently read about a dude whoused ferocactus to graft A.caput-medusae on.

what else can one graft on a ferocactus?

hm, cold hardiness, huh??

I uprighted my (previously) in ground plants which have been laying down since moving day 2 weeks ago. Put them in flexible 42litre black tubs and topped up with good mix. Also bought a strigosus crest while picking up the mix :)

You can graft pretty much everything on Ferocactus. They are desert dwellers and can cope with a bit of frost if they dont have wet feet. These days, i graft on everything. Just for trying out. Even on frost hardy Echinocereus and stuff like that.

I potted up -a we while ago- some opuntia and some hylocereus and today potted up some coastal pig face cuttings. ;)

• Like 1