The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alice

Adobe reader 10

I know I'm not supposed to open a thread in bitches but this doesn't deserve to be anywhere else.

I strongly suggest that you do NOT "upgrade" from Adobe Reader 9 to Reader 10. Jesus fucking christ it is a load of garbage that just cost me over an hour of my life realising this and getting back to 9.4. Botched incomplete first install, then once it's going I discover the fucking greyed out save button issue. Etc. I can't believe that Adobe fucked this one up so badly.

Save yourself the hassle, keep 9.4, and switch off auto updates.

End rant. Thanks for allowing me to vent. I do feel better now. Don't upgrade to X!

i hate adobe reader, maybe its just the mac platform, but since i upgraded a few weeks ago and realised apples Preview.app was so much improved i can't imagine using reader again. bloated piece of crap if you ask me. is there not other pdf viewers on windows other than reader?

Hi Alice, Its funny because i just got it like a few days ago and i was surprised to see how big it actually is. I think its over one Gigabyte and it took forever to get it on the hard drive. Not sure if it sucks but keeping in mind how rarely i use it, it wastes a lot of resources. I like the freeware dopdf. It basically does the same as the adobe pdf website converter and its only a few mb big.

The whole PDF format is an over bloated crock of shit, who-ever came up with it should be hung by the balls until their eyes pop out.

As for that acrobat bullshit, I haven't used anything that annoying or over bloated since I switched to linux years ago.

These days you need a supercomptuer to run a modern application that does the same thing you could do more than 5 years ago on a 486 with 256 Mb of ram.

Modern programming is not concerned about efficiency, it's all about marketing gimmicks.

Foxit Reader is worth a try - smaller and lighter than Adobe reader ( download is approx 12 Mb ).

I've used it with Windows and it has worked well and seems to do everything Adobe reader does. If you're running windows on a netbook or low powered system it's a much better option than Adobe reader.

You can download it here - http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

They seem to have versions for Linux and other platforms as well - but no Mac version ?

Most linux distros will have a pdf reader installed by default ( Evince or something like that )

Another good freeware program for windows is PDF Creator. It sets up as a printer and allows you to print directly into a pdf file. It's really useful and free ! Particularly good if you use ETAX - you can print your tax return directly into a pdf file & save a copy. Apparently this can be done in linux with CUPS - but I still haven't figured out how.

I had a look at the djvu reader documentation the other day, and I'm not sure whether they were cherry-picking or what... but the example files were unbelievably clear and readable, as well as small and responsive. If those were not just cherries, then it's a damn shame that djvu is not used more, as it seemed like a complete level up of .pdf.

foxit reader is good. i think it offers to install a toolbar or something which you can untick, apart from that no problems.

I upgraded to 10 a while ago and started getting the blue screen of death. Reverted to the previous and now it doesn't appear anymore. Not sure if that was causing it but it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks everyone for the suugestions of alternative, will definately check them out as all I need is just a reader, nothing fancy. Foxit looks good!

I don't think that the pdf format is that bad itself, I like that you can't modify the document with a reader, as it avoids accidental format changes etc. And it is handy that no matter what journal you are getting papers from, they all use the same file type so you can always open it.